PDA

View Full Version : rebirth of a tinny

maxwellson
25-07-2006, 06:04 PM
hi everyone, we are currently (tintenbar fish club members) doin up an old tinny Barney had laying in his yard along side all the other rubble there. here a couple of pics in its initiall stages. will post more as it progresses from boneyard to beautiful !!!!! # # # cheers # #Maxi

maxwellson
25-07-2006, 06:05 PM
pics try !!

maxwellson
25-07-2006, 06:07 PM
yah next pic

F1SH_BOY
25-07-2006, 06:58 PM
so far looks exciting keep updating us with pics and info! 8-)

gunnabuild1
25-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Will be following with interest keep em coming!

Bundy_Burp
25-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah very interesting ditto on the pics

Bundy

maxwellson
26-07-2006, 04:47 PM
hi all, its at this stage for a week or 2 as Barney wants to use it on our trip away this w/end. will keep you posted. thanks for the interest shown. Cheers Maxi

maxwellson
26-07-2006, 04:49 PM
pic

maxwellson
26-07-2006, 04:51 PM
useable !!!!

F1SH_BOY
26-07-2006, 08:36 PM
looks nice !

whyknot
30-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Looks real good, ;) please keep the pics coming.

Trent

Dirtysanchez
31-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Clever bit of timber work there mate, should be a good un when you are done

What motor on the back ?

maxwellson
31-07-2006, 05:05 PM
its going to have a 15 hp evinrude as the power plant , should push it along quite well. we start the painting process soon, will post more pics as we progress, thanks again to all who have shown some interest. by the way heres a pic Bungee snared a at Evans Head a couple of days ago, about 14 kilos. Cheers Maxi

F1SH_BOY
01-08-2006, 02:42 PM
nice fish there ;D

griz066
01-08-2006, 03:49 PM
How much did-ya pay for the rock hoppin footwear ::)
Great fish by the way 8-)

Chimo
02-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi Maxi

Very interesting thread and got me thinking about having a fiddle with an old 3.7 Sea Trex I've got sitting out the back. Can I ask........

What size is your tinny?
Is it an old DeHaviland or what?
Do you plan on using the front timbered platform as a casting deck, if so, is the set up going to be stable enough (given it got a pointy front end, like mine)?

What support have you got under the leading edges of hinged sections?
Are you going to attach the carpet straight over top of the hinged flaps or wrap em around the flaps?
How did you attach the floor supporting timber to the hull / ribs of the tinny?
Will you still have access under the floor to retrieve bits and pieces?

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions but you guys look to be doing such a great job on it, even getting me motivated to park the Vag and play with the tinny again. Looks to be a great bit of welding too!!

Good on you

Cheers

Chimo

maxwellson
02-08-2006, 07:10 PM
hey chimo, its 11ft, not sure of the breed could be dehaviland, yes it will be a casting deck and yes it is stable enough, we have used aluminium angle to hold the flaps, no we are not going to wrap the carpet around, we will lay the carpet over flaps and cut it out to size so as there are no gaps, we are going to attatch some old tie down material to the underside of the flaps and leave it proud of the floor level about 15 mm, enough to grab and open. we bolted it with stainless and locking nuts to the ribs (the front deck) the main floor is removable and the carpet will wrap up the sides of the hull 50mm or so to minimise the s--t under the floor problem. yeh the welding is great, strong as. we start the paint process this weekend, it is my trade so with a bit of luck (if i can keep the beers in the fridge away from the helpers ;D ;D) it should come up brand new. thanks again to everyone who has shown interest in our project. Barn (owner) thanks you also........ cheers again Maxi

chillihead
06-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Hey Maxi,

How did the painting go this weekend , can we have some pic's of the finished product, what ratio of hardener should you use in the undercoat or don't you use any!!! ::) ::)
As this is your trade you should know off the top of your head! ;D ;D ;D
Another question is if you make a mistake, what sort of thinners should you use to remove the paint? :o :o
Also are there any helpful hint's when purchasing the paint to make sure you get the right stuff, cause I've heard of some horror stories about some bloke who didn't use hardener in the base coat and had to strip it all back to bare metal!!! ::) :-[ :'(

Cheers Prof

maxwellson
07-08-2006, 05:51 PM
too many questions chilliman. that seems like the worst scenario possible that you have described there. blame someone else would be my go !!!!!!. probably the bloke who sold the paint to the purchaser and assured that person, the products that were purchased were correct. cheers Maxi :-/ :-/ ::) ::)

chillihead
07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Come on Maxi,

We won't photos of the finished product, not idle chit chat!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

fishingjew
08-08-2006, 07:51 PM
looking forward to pics of painted project
nice pic of fish have to get down that way when i get my boat finished
russell

darkside
09-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Maxi , looks like a great job , your putting me to shame , :'( hope you dont mind but i will use the same idea with the carpet in my refit , the timber work came up a treat in yours !

Angla
10-08-2006, 02:33 AM
The decking out job looks real good. Once you have tarted her up, where will it be fishing mostly.

Angla

maxwellson
10-08-2006, 06:11 AM
;D ;D ;D. no worries darkside, go for it, dont skimp on the glue, we are going to use gelgrip. Angla..... it is not my boat but will be used mainly in the richmond river. hull is nearly finished paint wise, will post some more pics soon. thanks all Maxi

darkside
10-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks Dirtysanchez , i will be using 4 S/S screws to hold the floor down and will loose lay the carpet, but have some velcro just to keep it in place and allow for easy removal to clean all that residue left over by the amount of fish i catch , ok now im dreaming! Im trying to copy maxwellson's floor design as much as possible , his tinny . "rebirth of a tinny " is comeing up a treat and putting me to shame .

darkside
10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
sorry Maxi , while im stealing all your good ideas, do i need to paint with anything else under the floor , ive cleaned it off and sprayed it with a couple of coats of Etch Primer , in grey , with the floor in ,it isnt visable but just to help protect the surface, do i need yo use anything else or will that do . darkside

maxwellson
11-08-2006, 06:49 PM
im sure i posted this morning before the drudgery of not going fishing !!. no worries Darkside ..go for it !!. it would be better if you could finish it with a compatible gloss finish...easier to clean then... i would use a 2 pack product and spray it on. make sure you get given the correct product (part A and part B) >:( >:( ;D. ;D. cheers Maxi

maxwellson
12-08-2006, 06:42 PM
some more pics, from the stripping process till finished hull

maxwellson
12-08-2006, 06:44 PM
more pics

maxwellson
12-08-2006, 06:48 PM
barney having a SHORT !! break (for a change) while scrubbing after stripping process to remove stripper scum

maxwellson
12-08-2006, 06:49 PM
hull with the shiney stuff on !!! ;D ;D ;D

maxwellson
12-08-2006, 06:51 PM
another view ;D ;D ;D ;D

Heno
12-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Nice looking tinny. Just curious as to what the stripper is that you used on the hull. Been sanding the topsides on mine but below the waterline is gunna be a nightmare to sand.
Regards,
Heno.

fishingjew
12-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Nice job well done you should be happy with that finish

troy
13-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Maxi,
What type of 2 pack paint are you using.
Have you heard of 2 pack luxthane or Urthane and if so is it okay.
Troy

maxwellson
13-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Heno....any good quality stripper will dothe job. dont rush it , let it work on the surface and only apply about 600 mm sq at a time, lay it on thick. Troy yes i have used both the products before and they are both good

troy
14-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Chillyhead,
When you said this bloke did not use hardner in the base coat was the paint Super Etch primer as i was told you do not use hardner.
Troy

maxwellson
14-08-2006, 07:56 PM
hey troy...........i must come clean ;D ;D ;D ;D :-[,!!!!you have somewhat forced me to ;D ;D ;D, i know the chilliman well, its his shed the boat is in #;D ;D. no, the paint was not super etch primer, it is a jotun product. Penguard under coat primer, that was capable of going over clean aluminium. In my defence #;D ;D..i didnt purchase the product, so on mixing, it was taken for granted (by me) that one tin (4lt) was part A and the other (1lt) was #part B. a 4 to one mix.. Normal..... as it turned out the 1lt tin was the same as the 4 lt tin :-?..so i sprayed on paint with no hardener #>:( >:(. :-[ :-[. we had to wash it all off with thinners :'(. we had some joy in the end it, has come up nice #;) ;)........my conscience wouldnt allow me to continue to agree with my statement earlier in this thread about blaming the bloke behind the counter, well not fully anway #;D ;D. so im spilling my guts to clear the slate and to stop the chillihead from giving me a hard time ;D ;D ;D... # # # # # # # #
disclaimer.......all other info i have provided in this thread is correct and true to the best of my experience #;D ;D ;D...

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Cheers # #Max

chillihead
15-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Good onya Maxi,

Yes it's true the fault was not all down to Max, it's not his fault he forgot to put on his glasses :o :o :o before mixing the paint, maybe it had something to do with the few sherbets he was sucking on ;D ;D ;D ;D
No seriously ;) Max knows his trade, damn fine finish on the old girl now, with the 15 evinrude on the back she'll fly through the water...
Max and I will keep you updated with photos and progress, that is when Barney decides to get off his arse and give the inside of the boat a clean out >:( >:( >:(, I'm gettin tired of the thing clutterin up me shed >:( >:(,
But it's all a good learning experience for me being a novice to this painting thing...Good onya fellas.

Cheers Prof.

maxwellson
21-08-2006, 06:07 AM
more pics this arvo, nearly finished now

chillihead
21-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Hey Maxi,

Where's the photo's I took last night when you finished, you said you would put them up when you got home ::) ::) ::)...

Fell asleep on the lounge no doubt, get up yah sook ;D ;D ;D!!!

Post up the pictures of the masterpiece, so everyone can have a drool :o :o!!

I think Troy may get abit of inspiration from the photos if he gets his head out of the metho bottle for five minutes and remembers he has posted the same question 3 times ;D ;D ;D ;D.....

This boat in the following photo's should be an inspiration to anyone doing up an old tinny, it just needs time, dedication, attention to detail, confidence in your own ability...... Three cheers for Maxi's masterpiece ;) ;) ;)

I just hope the bastard reads this and follows up with the photo's!!!!!!!

Cheers Prof

maxwellson
21-08-2006, 11:51 PM
its the shrbets or maybe the metho :o :o but i can't get this stupid pc to cooperate 2 night, chilliman,u will have to sort it out or show me once again what i am doing wrong !!! ;D ;D

Cheers Maxi

maxwellson
22-08-2006, 06:12 PM
chilliman has done good (i hope). heres the latest pics of our project. painting all finished #:) :)

maxwellson
22-08-2006, 06:14 PM
next pic. well should be first pic ;D ;D

maxwellson
22-08-2006, 06:17 PM
next

maxwellson
22-08-2006, 06:20 PM
another, all painted, sherbets tasted even better now !!! ;D ;D

maxwellson
22-08-2006, 06:24 PM
carpet in soon,

maxwellson
22-08-2006, 06:44 PM
were nearly there !!!! #carpet, trailer painted and then the naming ceremony, does anyone know of the proper procedure for the naming of a boat #?? #ever since the chilliman named his boat and probably didnt follow correct procedure ...as we were not sure.....20 lure changes per session hasnt made much of a impact on the fish population around here. is it the curse #of the improper naming, or just that chilliman hasnt been holding his mouth right #;D ;D ;D ;D. we dont want a repeat performance with barneys boat #;D ;D ;D

cheers maxi

chillihead
22-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Gidday Maxi,

Don't know wether it was the renaming of the boat or the company i've been keeping latley, too many sherbets, too many paint fumes, too much metho, and no one can hold there mouth right let alone a bloody rod, for all I know I might have been fishing in the toilet ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Then theres the name I put on the boat PROF... what's that supposed to mean? :o :o The only thing I'm a PROF at is brewing and drinking beer!! :P :P :P :P

Maybe if someone gave me the correct procedure for naming a boat I could rename it Dropkick..... because thats what I felt like last week when I came back to the ramp empty handed... only to be further humiliated when you said to me don't worry mate you can have these fish I don't want them!!!! ::) ::) ::)

darkside
22-08-2006, 09:10 PM
top job Maxi , it came up a treat , i finished my floor , the cutout looked a bit like the Millenium Falcon from starwars, took your advice , plenty of contact on the carpet "had a mate do it " Will now have to carpet or paint the seats after seeing yours ::)
Cheers darkside

chillihead
22-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Gidday Darkside,

Send us some piccys, so we can compare our handywork!!!

We will post up some pics on Friday after the carpet goes in ! yeah it'll be out of my shed at last!!! ;D ;D ;D

It has been a good project to work on, especially with someone who knows what they are doing hey Maxi ;D ;D .... well sometimes I suppose..when I can keep his head out of the fridge ::) ::) ::)

Cheers Chillihead.

Jim_Byrne
22-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Very smart finish to guys! good on ya!

Cheers

Jim

maxwellson
23-08-2006, 06:03 PM
thanks 3rd degree, its been a mission but without the chillihead and his shed and facillities it would not have happened !!, thanks Prof. will post some more pics when finished. thanks to everyone who are enjoying this thread.............. :) :) :) :)

Cheers Maxi