PDA

View Full Version : Dose fibreglass stick to alloy?

-spiro-
20-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I am wanting to know if fibreglass sticks to alloy. I am looking at putting in a underfloor tank {kill} and was thinking of that foam insullation for the out side of it. I was thinking about putting a layer of glass over it to give it abit of protection.

hoga
20-08-2006, 03:27 PM
yep but rough it up real good first hoga

blaze
20-08-2006, 04:24 PM
I would personelly say no.
Although in the case you are using it for I would also have a go at doing that but in a application that required the strenth of glass I wouldnt as it would delaminate.
cheers
blaze

-spiro-
20-08-2006, 08:51 PM
ok

maxwellson
21-08-2006, 06:13 AM
no it wont stick for ever, will always break away in time no matter how the ally is prepped, boat flex being the problem.

cheers Maxi

Rhetly
21-08-2006, 03:22 PM
The short answer is yes, however to make it permanent you need to go to quite a length to ensure the integrity of the bond strength.

I can tell you about the nitty gritty of it if you really want to, but it all comes down to a combination of the surface preparation, the adhesive/resin system used and a process of applying an organo-functional coupling agent.

The biggest problem in bond degredation is moisture. Obviously in boating, moisture is hard to avoid. However there are processes to elimate the moisture attacking the resin system. It is known as chemical modification and the best way to chemically modify the surface of aluminium prior to application of any adhesive is to use an organo-functional coupling agent. This makes the bond area resistant to attack from moisture therefore enhancing the bonds structural integrity.

It is very doubtful that you would want to go to this much trouble just for a kill tank for your boat, however it is possible.

What type of glass were you going to use? Chop strand mat or cloth? Either way, I think that the resin would actually attack the polystyrene (if thats the foam insulation you were thinking of) in the same way that solvents disolve it. The only way to do it properly would be to get a fibreglass mould pre-cured, then sandwich the insulation inbetween the mould and the alloy, and then bond them together.

If I was to do this I would make the outer casing of the tank from alloy, then line the inside of that casing with polystyrene (or whatever insulation material you choose), then using either thin gauge stainless or alloy again, make the inner lining. I used to make eskies exactly like this and they were almost bullet proof. I will post a pic of what I mean on here tonight.

Cheers, rhet

spearfish_1
21-08-2006, 05:37 PM
no fibreglass will not stick but if u make it thick and not move thats all that u need

Rhetly
21-08-2006, 07:11 PM
As per my previous post, these are the pictures and how I would make my kill box, then sink that in flush with the floor, but each to their own.

Rhetly
21-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Inside

Rhetly
21-08-2006, 07:14 PM
And I repeat, you can stick fibreglass and aluminium together. Why else would they use this sort of technology for repairing aircraft if it didn't work, and wasn't structurally sound?

Cheers, rhet

madkeen1973
22-08-2006, 06:56 PM
hi , i own a boat building company and mobile fiberglaSSING SERVICE . a handful or two of QCELL (talc like powder) in every 4 litres of vinyl ester or momentum resin will make it bond for 10-15 years . scuff up the aliminium real good first . reply if you need more info . cheers madkeen1973

-spiro-
23-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks fella's i will take it all onboard and see what i can come up with. 8-)

Az
23-08-2006, 11:39 AM
if room permits you could have an ally mould that housed a modified esky firmly with provisions for plumbing

cutfish
23-08-2006, 08:30 PM
You can do what you want if you use epoxy resin and not polyester.

fiberglass international make a R180 resin that does not attack poly strene.

Also you should use woven mat , bialial glass etc but not chopped strand mat.

Noelm
24-08-2006, 09:58 AM
I always reckon most things will sick to anything you do not want it to stick to! try dripping some resin on your ally boat, then try to get it off, but then glass and mat, the works, and it will just peel off, kinda like the little plastic things you use to mix it up with, it just comes off.