PDA

View Full Version : Rust preventative treatment - new trailer

Wooly
22-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Looking for your thoughts on the best treatment for new gal trailer before I dunk her for the first time.

Options I am considering is flushing all the voids with Lanotec, Inox, Tectyl, Vegtable oil, Peanut oil...

Was leaning towards Lonolin based products. howvere was told that can sneek in small holes and lift gal from trailer???? So at this stage Inox is shortening in the odds.

Any thoughts?

Murks
22-08-2006, 10:41 PM
i just used fisholene available in spray containers..seems to work fairly well :-/.time will tell i guess but it definitely puts a coat on the trailer :), doesnt look that good but if it works who cares what it looks like ;)

maxwellson
23-08-2006, 06:28 AM
i sprayed lanox all over new gal trailer, no sign of any rust 18 months later, have done it twice since

cheers Maxi

Roughasguts
23-08-2006, 10:01 AM
I tried some concrete floor sealer on me trailer.
Just did a small patch and it seems fine doesn't colect dust either.

I figured after using the concrete sealer in a tub 8 hours later I could pull the clear plastic membrane out the tub.
So thinking that stuff is pretty tuff, UV stable and water proof.

And easy to touch up just melts in to the old stuff.

Spaniard_King
23-08-2006, 05:48 PM
I have done mine in Tectyl ... tried lano and other products.. they dont cut the mustard.

tectyl dries to a wax like covering easy top apply.. just buy a air driven degreaser type spray unit (need an air compressor too) from super cheap and get some auto thinners too. mix tectryl and thinners at around 1-1 spray on trailer

you will never look back

Garry

Roughasguts
23-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Which one Garry, Valvolene make 55 differant tectyl products.

Spaniard_King
23-08-2006, 07:10 PM
LOL 55 hey crikey :o

tectryl 506

cheers

Garry

Roughasguts
23-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks Garry, that cuts down on the reading.
Say's it dries to an ambor colour does that look okay.

dnej
23-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Wooly,
What size and what type of boat do you have?
David

ShaneJ
23-08-2006, 10:36 PM
I'll second the Tectryl 506 . I use it on everything! Car, boat trailer, the shed ::)

Wooly
23-08-2006, 11:40 PM
dnej

Tis a 5.5 seafarer viking

cheers

Wooly
23-08-2006, 11:53 PM
the Tectryl 506 is friming. Where is best place to get a supply of this stuff - say a 5 litre bottle?

PinHead
24-08-2006, 03:59 AM
it is gal..why bother with anything else...it will outlast your use of it.

GBC
24-08-2006, 07:45 AM
lord forbid I agree with one P Webster - but...... go the tectyl for the initial prep, but more importantly mix up some linseed oil and kerosene and spray it on moving parts etc after every trip -

Either that or buy shares in inox.

P.S. Pinhead dunks his reels so don't listen to him any more about maintenance- ;D ;D ;D

Had to do it Greg :-*

C.J.

ShaneJ
24-08-2006, 08:59 AM
the Tectryl 506 is friming. Where is best place to get a supply of this stuff - say a 5 litre bottle?

You can get it in spray tins or 5 liter paint tins at supercheap, aussie auto and just about every other auto shop. Well around here anyway.

PinHead
24-08-2006, 03:03 PM
lord forbid I agree with one P Webster - but...... go the tectyl for the initial prep, but more importantly mix up some linseed oil and kerosene and spray it on moving parts etc after every trip -

P.S. Pinhead dunks his reels so don't listen to him any more about maintenance- #;D ;D ;D

Had to do it Greg #:-*

C.J.

what else does the good ol' Alvey need other than the occassional dunking ??

Spaniard_King
24-08-2006, 07:17 PM

P.S. Pinhead dunks his reels so don't listen to him any more about maintenance- #;D ;D ;D

Had to do it Greg #:-*

C.J.

Why would you want to use "Kero" it's the main ingrediant in Degreaser. I am sure he wants to protect it not clean it ;D ;D ;D

Garry

lippa
24-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks Garry, that cuts down on the reading.
Say's it dries to an ambor colour does that look okay.

it does go amber, just like me favourite drop ;) and well....it looks shithouse :D ugly trailers don't get stolen!! it has somthing built into it that makes it creep. i thought bullshit. i sprayed the bottom inside door on my old hilux, bugger me dead over a couple of months, it had creeped 3/4 the way up the door!! it has been said but use tectyl, its the best i've found anyway!

cheers

lippa

GBC
25-08-2006, 11:03 AM
g'day spaniard king,

dunno.

I used it after every trip on the cruise craft trailer - the kero seems to thin the previous layer of linseed and binds the new stuff to it...
It also penetrated seized nuts etc, and rejuvenated the trailer after the last owners - give it a hose and leave it - maint regime.

Like I said in the first post - not my idea it's Webster's, I gave it a go with good results.

C.J.