PDA

View Full Version : Who makes big tinnies with side decks??

abitfishy
17-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey guys,

Still in the initial thought process of upgrading to something bigger and thinking of getting an open aluminium boat in the size about 4.8 - 5.2 and using that as a base and customising it.

Wondering if any of you guys know of any manufacturers of reasonably priced basic tinnies (not the custom builders - too expensive) of that size that have side decks on their tinnies - most of the basic open boats don't. So far I've only found the Allycraft 450 TANK (which I think is a bit small for what I want)

Thanks
abitfishy

The_Walrus
17-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Have a look at the SeaJay range, particularly the 'Magnums' for non nonsence tinnies up to 6 metres.

http://www.seajayboats.com.au/magnum.html

If it's not standart, they'll add the side decks on request.

Luc

lippa
17-08-2006, 10:04 PM
is this what you mean? this is my 5.25 stacer seahorse its an optional extra

cheers

lippa

abitfishy
17-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Hi mate,

Yes, thats exactly what I mean. I wasn't aware that they were often an optional extra - I thought they either were made with them or not. I'm probably going to be better trying to find one that does have them as standard, as I'm going to have to bargain hard to afford anything - however maybe I can bargain by getting them to chuck them in with the deal. My main purpose of wanting them is somewhere additional to rest the butt in calm water, so I canuse decent rod holders, and also as I want to get a screen custom made and the narrow sides that the standard boats some with I don't think will work....

Anyone know if Snyper boats are any good? They seem to offer good variety, however they seem few and far between out with the public (ie, the trading post only shows a dealer selling them, no private sales anywhere in the country).

timddo
17-08-2006, 10:46 PM
looking for strenght, try tabs boat, they are strong and with the side decks, plate boat too, self draining, 4.85 i think is $8000 for the hull alone, so not cheap.

abitfishy
17-08-2006, 11:01 PM
looking for #strenght, try tabs boat, they are strong and with the side decks, plate boat too, self draining, 4.85 i think is $8000 for the hull alone, so not cheap.

Hi mate,
I don't really need anything terribly heavy duty, so the only problem with that is by the time I convert it to forward steer, add windscreen & bits and pieces, I could just go and buy a ready made runabout. Looking to have a bit of fun doing it myself and hopefully get a decent 5m or so fishing rig for a pretty reasonable price. I've found Allycraft 5.25 (without side decks though) is only about $5600. Even then by the time I add even a used motor, decent trailer, controls etc, I can probably still get a used 5.25 runabout for not much more - so not sure if I'll even bother.

Wooly
17-08-2006, 11:09 PM
abitfishy

just sold my 4.35 Snyper with 40 hp tiller. Reasonably solid boat, prticularly H/D side decks. I found that the snyper boats had a lot of what others called extras as part of their base package i.e side pockets, front and rear side rails, rear step.

As with any open boat when the wind is blowing the wrong way you will need to get out the raincoat....I,m just too old for that shit now.

lippa
17-08-2006, 11:10 PM
pretty sure the gunnels were 700 large extra

griz066
18-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Sea Jay have em 8-)

Blackened
18-08-2006, 10:15 AM
G'day
I saw the first snyper yesterday. Aparently alot of the guys at snyper used to be at bluefin or something... just what I heard. Nu Marine at cleveland sell them and have a few down there. They're also on the net, do a google.
Dave

Bowser
18-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Have a look at the Stessco range. As good a boat as most mentioned here and lots cheaper. More a fishermans boat than most ranges.

colo
18-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Mate Sea Jay boats Has 4.85m , 5.35m and 6.0m magnums in there range all are standard with wide side decks and part floors. check out the web site there all on there. The 6.0m comes standard with a 4mm bottom as well.
Hey guys,

Still in the initial thought process of upgrading to something bigger and thinking of getting an open aluminium boat in the size about 4.8 #- 5.2 and using that as a base and customising it.

Wondering if any of you guys know of any manufacturers of reasonably priced basic tinnies (not the custom builders - too expensive) of that size that have side decks on their tinnies - most of the basic open boats don't. # So far I've only found the Allycraft 450 TANK (which I think is a bit small for what I want)

Thanks
abitfishy

snapperbasher
25-08-2006, 05:08 PM
try formosa marine

Chimo
26-08-2006, 07:50 AM
hi abitfishy

Check this out , these have the deck etc you want and are light and also fun in the surf! Probably need to modify the trailer tho.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=1696591&TabID=3338&Alias=boatpointau

Cheers
Chimo

abitfishy
26-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi Chimo,

Mate, I've been eyeing that one off actually, it keeps coming up in my boatpoint searches, looks like just what I need, and a lot easier than buying an open boat and stuffing around converting it to what I like - and this is only $10500 negotiable. #If I was lucky I could get my perfect next boat for $9k. # If I was closer I'd go and take a peek. #Shame I can't sell the current boat though.

Don't know about the surf bit though!

That trailer does look odd - from what I can see its got stuff all rollers on it. #

Chimo
26-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Hi abitfishy

They are a good machine, used one as a patrol boat with govt some years back. Shallow draft, soft quiet ride, great in rough water and good for jumping in surf waves too! Also used to pull cray pots over the side in large swells, 6 m was the biggest I think.

Trailer looks like its modified as a ramp trolly so would cost a new spring set up, mudguards and more rollers. Still cheap for what it is and its been under cover all its life.

Where are you anyway?

Cheers
Chimo

Kunnara1
27-08-2006, 06:28 PM
I recently picked up a 5m Brooker Discovery...An excellent boat with a big wide beam and wide extrusions..It only has a 40 2 stroke on it but gets along ok.It is tiller steer but am going to put a 60 4 stroke on it with a side console...I got it for 10g's with only 25 hrs on it and quite a few extra's...
Kunnara...

abitfishy
27-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey, that brooker sounds pretty good. I was thinking of using the 40 I've got, but have come to the conclusion that although its more than I need on the 4.3 its on, its a little underpowered for a 5m which is a shame, it oculd have worked out a cheap upgrade if it was even just a 50.

The 525 brooker cuddy would be nice......but way off the mark for my wallet....