PDA

View Full Version : No centre rollers,so where do you start?

dnej
27-08-2006, 04:00 PM
When a trailer has only wobble rollers,and these have been removed ,and there are no keel rollers to get the boat at a starting height,,just where do you start, so as to get the boat in the correct position.
David

troy
27-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Dnej,
I f you have no keel rollers or wooble rollers what have you actually got on the trailer.
Troy

chris_stanley
27-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Just a thought and it depends on the size of the boat, but you could put lengths of metal pipe approx 40mm dia across the trailer frame. this will enable you to roll and position the boat on the trailer using the pipe as if they were keel rollers. taking into account type of boat (material and weight) which will determine thickness of pipe and or protection needed for hull. As i said just a thought.

Chimo
27-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi David

What breed is the boat and the trailer?

Hard to make useful comment without some more info.

Are there any fittings on the trailer to allow centre rollers to be installed
is it a tinny or grp or plate,
how long
estimated weight
do you have access to a gantry and slings
is there a winch you can use to lift the boat ? off tyres on the ground and onto the trailer
how much do you want to spend
do you want the boat to roll on and off without drowning it, what brakes if any
or are you going to drown the trailer to get the boat off so side teflon supports are the go

More inf and a photo if you can

Chimo

Feral
27-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Just bolt on whatever you have, (assuming you have mounting points etc worked out) slowly start pulling the boat on and see how they fit. If it is obviously way out, push the boat back off and adjust.

One the boat is on, move any that have no load into position so they are touching the hull.

Then step back and have a looksee. If you want the boat to go up or down, work out how much, drop her off again and adjust evenly.

Then take it for a drive and see how it rides.

A word of advice, adjusting rollers can be dangerous, make sure they are properly tightened, dont put arms hands head etc anywhere that might be a danger if one or more of the rollers slips, dropping the boat suddenly.

BaysideMarine
27-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I'd make a cardboard template of the transom area (just from keel to chines would be fine).

Use this template to set up your rear set of rollers first with the critcal height being chine to mudguard clearance.

Set the other rollers basically the same to begin and once the boat is on adjust from there.

Cheers and it sounds like fun.......... :(

dnej
27-08-2006, 06:28 PM
More info.
At present the boat,a glass Savage,Pacific,Is on tyres,while the trailer
( my brother's) is being refurbished.

He has a rough idea of where they were previously,but they were in that poition, when he bought the boat,and wanted to make sure he sets it up correctly.

The back ones are in a fixed position,and have no height adjustment,and are bolted through the side rails,and swivel on the bolt,as well as to the shape of the boat,in the other direction.
So that is a start.
Moving forward,the next set are adjustable in height,as is the front set.
But they could be way out,if you were not careful

They consist of two 50X25 square,tubes,with axle ends,U bolted to the swivel base. They are height adjusted by stems,and friction bolts.

There is provision for two keel rollers,which I feel should be fitted, and the boat loaded to these, before the others are adjusted.

The boat could then sit on the two keel rollers,firstly, as well as the fixed rear wobble set.
The height of the other sets of wobble ones could then be adjusted to suit .
Am I on the right track here?
David
Sorry no pics

griz066
27-08-2006, 07:16 PM
If you have a shed and 2 points where you could attach 2 endless chain block & tackles you can lift the boat position trailer under and lower boat to the required height and then set up from there.
Hope this helps 8-)

Chimo
27-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi David

What you say would work and be safe. As you suggest installing the new keel rollers and fitting the forward wobble rollers but let them drop as low as they can in the holders will allow you to haul the boat up into position and secure it to the winch post in its most forward postion before you raise all the forward rollers(with a small jack) up to the boat. Not too high.

If you have enought rollers under the boat and the weight is evenly distributed you should, with a lot of effort, be able to just move each roller by hand. If you can move them all with similar force( by hand or with a set of stilsens ) you have the boat evenly supported and it should go on and off easily and be carried on the road so it is not damaged.

this is the method I've used to fix trailers that I've had delivered to me that were not set up with even roller adjusrment.

Chock the trailer wheels and the front jockey wheel first and then raise the rollers etc.

Good luck

Chimo