PDA

View Full Version : River Punt - around 5m???

Reef_Ranger
29-08-2006, 06:57 AM
I was watching on old video on the weekend by Dave Donald - Cape York Fishing. I am trying to identify the flat bottomed punt he was using.

Length - about 4.5-5.0m
Beam - about 1.5 - pretty skinny
Depth - about 0.5m
Basic 4 cross thwart seats
Tiller Steer - 25hp Tohatsu

This boat was remarkably stable with three good sized blokes on board and appeared to scoot across the water plenty fast enough with only a 25hp - no doubt due to the 0° deadrise - flat ribbed bottom. They even had it out offshore in about 0.5m chop catching trevally.

My question is, does anyone know a builder of this type of tinny. All of the major brands stop their punts at about 3.7m. And any of the bass/barra boats are fitted with so much gear they need a 60-80hp donk to drive them - with a price to match.

I am keen to get back to the basics. I realise that this style of boat would bash like hell in any sort of chop, but most of my fishing/crabing is in smooth water. If its blowing a gale I don't go out.

I recon the video was about 10-15years old. They were testing a NEW handheld GPS - about the size of your regular house brick ;D.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Sam

ahoj
29-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi Sam
I cannot tell you much about punts but you are on a right track( back to basics)
Most boat owners are simply dreaming about the size of motors and boats and constanly increasing its sizes...they are forgetting the best time they had was on a smaler boat...... Punts are great flyers -New punts have a bit of a nose bow to slice the waves which are more waterdynamic....
The one I use is a twin hull cat 4 metre and its even better then punt steady and as fast.... and only 6 Hp.... Ideal for 2 people plus gear... perhaps this will give you some inspiration..
Cheers

Ahoj

vermin
29-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Have you tried asking Dave himself? You can contact him through his web site.

Cheers,

G.

Poseidon
29-08-2006, 03:50 PM
It may have been a NORWELD punt made in Cairns. The way you describe the very simple design sounds alot like them.

They are still around.

The timeframe that you mention would fit.

Did it look like this ??

Regards Cameron.

Reef_Ranger
30-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. It lookes pretty similar yet a bit longer ie 4 seats and the front metre had a casting deck.

I will keep searching.

Thanks,

Sam

fishin_till_late
30-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Mate if your ever in tweed heads go to the kirkhams oyster farm just behind seagulls on the terranora lakes. They have a couple of big bare punts tied up round the back. Probably around 4.5 - 5m long. I think they only use maybe 15-25 or 30 hp on em. Next time Im down that way(which won't be that long) I'll see if a can get a brand name for you.

cheers jono