PDA

View Full Version : Help ID electric boat motor size?

Feral
29-08-2006, 07:47 PM
My mate Ferg has en electric Boat motor he got back in '96. He ran it a couple of times on his 16 foot canadian canoe ,then it has sat in the shed ever since.It is in perfect nick, and I want to use it on my 8 foot tinnie.

It is an Evinrude TH2TS, 4 speed.

I am interested in what pounds thrust this motor outputs, does anyone have an idea?

blaze
29-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi Mate
I was hoping somebody would have had an answer for you by now, I have a go
I asked a simular question sometime back to try and work out what size battery was best suited to my elecy.
I am told that 1 amp of current is equal to 1lb of thrust.
Hows this help
If you KNow someone with a clamp on dc amp meter, put this on the lead and see what the current draw is on each speed setting, may go something like this
1 = 5amps = 5lb
2 = 8 amps = 8lb
3 = 13 amps = 13lb
4 = 20 amps = 20lb thrust
Probable no help but its the best I can come up with ATM
cheers
blaze

ahoj
30-08-2006, 11:16 AM
The primitive way to test it is to have a fully charged battery 60 amp and hook it up and go full bore ---take time reading if it run for 2 hours then its a 30lb motor.. more help from an Auto electrician..
some motors get very hot when battery voltage drops below 9 volt
Ahoj

ahoj
30-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Look up this web---http://www.skoterskroten.com/batmotorer/Listor/arsmodellstabell.pdf#search=%22Evinrude%20TH2TS%22

and go to Electric outboards
I can see the motor as being 12 v

Feral
30-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks fella's I have worked out that it is a 12V job, (The 2 in the model number stands for 12 volt) it is the "high thrust" version, by the shape of the fin. I figure the only real way to see if it is suitable for my tinnie (big enough), is to put it on, and see how she goes!