PDA

View Full Version : Converting to forward steer....

abitfishy
31-08-2006, 04:48 PM
As a follow on from a few posts about a potential project boat (building it up to a forward steer comfy runabout), the main issue I'm having is to convert an open boat to a runabout, getting a front screen made is not a problem, but I don't want centre/side console, I want 'real' forward steer runabout style, but there is nowhere on most open boats that one can mount steering.

Now my questions:

1. Some open boats have a 'lip' on the front deck/gunnel, whatever its called - now, is this lip enough space to mount a steering wheel?

2. I'm assuming a bracket can me bought (or easily enough made) to mount the control box on, next to/near the front seat (on the side obviously)

3. Cables from the outboard - Are the engine control cables and/or steering cables a standard length or can they be shortened for exact situations in distance from outboard? I'm under the impression that the control cables are a 'bare end' type cable that can be shortened, but I have a funny feeling that steering cables have something on each end so they can't be 'cut' to length and that if an open boat hasn't been technically setup to have steering added, then the exact distance to front deck/gunnel might be a problem. I haven't set steering up before so I'm not sure here....

Can anyone see any other potential issues in converting a open boat to a forward steer runabout - I can only see the main problem being the mounting of steering/angle of lip/size of lip (if a lip is included, either standard or as an option).

I don't know tonnes about these things (plenty of reading, not much practical), but I'm pretty keen to give it a go, as long as I get enough info so I don't go and buy something that I can't work with....

Many thanks in advance.
Martin
(abitfishy)

blaze
31-08-2006, 05:56 PM
As a follow on from a few posts about a potential project boat (building it up to a forward steer comfy runabout), the main issue I'm having is to convert an open boat to a runabout, getting a front screen made is not a problem, but I don't want centre/side console, I want 'real' forward steer runabout style, but there is nowhere on most open boats that one can mount steering. #

Now my questions:

1. #Some open boats have a 'lip' on the front deck/gunnel, whatever its called - now, is this lip enough space to mount a steering wheel?

This piece would not be deep enough however you could get a ali fabricator to fabricate a section for the steering, would want to be about 150mm deep

2. #I'm assuming a bracket can me bought (or easily enough made) to mount the control box on, next to/near the front seat (on the side obviously)
This could also be fabricated

3. #Cables from the outboard - Are the engine control cables and/or steering cables a standard length or can they be shortened for exact situations in distance from outboard? #I'm under the impression that the control cables are a 'bare end' type cable that can be shortened, but I have a funny feeling that steering cables have something on each end so they can't be 'cut' to length and that if an open boat hasn't been technically setup to have steering added, then the exact distance to front deck/gunnel might be a problem. #I haven't set steering up before so I'm not sure here....
Normaly you order cables to the right lenth, cannot be cut

Can anyone see any other potential issues in converting a open boat to a forward steer runabout - I can only see the main problem being the mounting of steering/angle of lip/size of lip (if a lip is included, either standard or as an option).
I would do a very realistic price costing first as the dollars can very easily blow out. Possible for sure

I don't know tonnes about these things (plenty of reading, not much practical), but I'm pretty keen to give it a go, as long as I get enough info so I don't go and buy something that I can't work with....

Many thanks in advance.
Martin
(abitfishy)

abitfishy
31-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi blaze,

Thanks - yes, I am doing a bit of research and starting to do some footwork having a look at a few hulls etc.

Its a bit hard to compare, as not too many manufacturers seem to do basic , non painted type entry level runabouts as big as 5.2. I'm just after something really simple - basically a tinnie with windcreen and forward steer (carpeted floor would be nice). I can add comfort and bits and pieces as I need it (and afford it!)

Thanks again
Martin

timddo
31-08-2006, 10:00 PM
martin, i did the same project a few years ago with my dad's tinne . only 4 meters though.

to change from a tiller to forward control you need a conversion kit .. around $200 mark. then the 2 cables $130 and then the steering wheel kit .. say $200. the tiller leg connection( or whatever it's called) connects the motor to the steering cable. At last but not least the remote control box. this is the most expensive bit, unless you can get it secondhand. i got my yamaha for $40. All up it probably cost us $1000 .. including welding to the boat and windscreen.

not a cheap route to go mate.

abitfishy
01-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi Tim,

What about the item called 'Single Lever Power Engine Control' which is $199 at a well known boating accessories place. It says about it "Designed for side mounting on power boats. Must be fitted using universal type cable only. Combines both throttle and gear shift in one easy operation"

Can most outboards be run using one of these? I thought you needed the specific manufacturers control box? Although I'm thinking this $199 box is only for gear/throttle, but doesn't include electric start capability with loom etc that the 'real' ones do.???

timddo
01-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Question is . does your tiller have electric start. The universal ones work fine. ( heck thats why it's call universal. I got my dad's dingy welded for about $100 including a peice that ran from under the bow all across ( like a cheap runabout) and a box for the remote box. Windscreen wise, i brought perspec and used old window frames, doesn't look professional but does the job, $50 compared to $400. The best way to do it is fine a secondhand dealer that sells old remotes, they usually come with the cable and it's usually under $100.

abitfishy
01-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi Tim, I don't have a motor yet - so whatever I buy may well come with controls if I'm lucky. Getting the piece fabricated to mount the steering on sounds like its going to fix the steering mounting problem. However, if/when it gets done, I'll be getting an opening (hopefully) screen properly made. If it was an old small tinny ok, but I'm hoping it will be a new 5.2 or so.