PDA

View Full Version : advice needed please

manchild
30-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Finally got the all clear from the doctor ,so im ok to get in the boat again.I have owned tinnies before, but this time im lookin for a runabout or a quartercab.I dunno much about them and would like to know what you guys recommend .It would have to be stable ,with forward controlls or side console ,reasonably comfy for daytrips for 4 ,around 4.5 mts or bigger ,something that has a fine balance between a fishing and a familyboat .
Thanks for the advice in advance ;)
George

gunna
30-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Bit more info Manchild. Do you plan to fish estuary only or outside as well. What is your budget ??

fishingrod
30-08-2006, 06:47 PM
You dont say what your budget is?

There is not many 1/4 cabins under 4.5m around.

Maybe a Streaker 4.58m cuddy cabin or a gen 1 Seafarer V-sea 4.74m cuddy cabin or a Stejcraft 4.7m (Sea Sport/Sprite?) cuddy cabin ?

They are all fibreglass boats.
You can prob get these for between $6-12K and tow with a large 4 cyclinder car or soft roader.

What state you in?
A side console in Melb may not be a good comfy family boat !

jeffrey_h
30-08-2006, 06:54 PM
George,
We just brought our first boat, a 5 mt half cabin. It was not an easy task and I do not regret the boat we got but the process you go thru to get it. A boating friend inspected it today and confirmed that it is a very good buy, paid a bit too much, to a dealer for a consignment sale. Found a few more things wrong with it that I had not picked up yet, but all can be fixed.

All I can say is too get as much detail as possible from the seller, write it all down, and get an expert to view the hull and motor even if you think you know all, before you put a deposit on it.

We were promised log books and manuals but in the end suddenly these didn't exist and we could not get the name of the seller. >:(

I got a few good responses from the other guys from Ausfish, and 1 response that saved me from buying a lemon, don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you want to fish with 4 people 4.5 mt might be a bit small.

Happy hunting, I'm from brissy to.

Jeffrey

seatime
30-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi manchild

have you seen any boats that you like, or know anyone with the type of boat you think might suit you. It could be somewhere to start.

4.5m might be a stretch for comfortable day trips for 4 people.

fibreglass will probably provide the most comfort and stability, but that means more weight, can you tow, launch and retrieve, say, a 5m glass boat.

there are some nice little imported glass bowriders getting around, or an Aussie cuddy cab in glass.

let us know how you go, happy hunting.
regards

manchild
30-08-2006, 07:06 PM
It would be used mainly in the bay and the rivers .Budgetwise i tought $15000 would do or below there .I looked on the boatshow today ,the horizon 4250 sun runner looked good for the prize on the day $13,590.Im in brissie by the way.
thanks for the help so far everyone really appreciated
Cheers
George
As for fishing it would be 2 people only, i meant to take the family onto sth straddie or the pin on the sundays .

Nogster
31-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Check out Polycrafts for that budget if you're brave. Also look at www.polyowners.com.au for example boats and fit-outs.

P.S. Yes I do own a poly, and very happy with it.

Norm

PADDLES
31-08-2006, 08:40 AM
type your budget into boatpoint manchild and see what comes up. you'll struggle to get something suitable for what you want new with that budget, but there'll be some very good ones second hand for the sort of money you want to spend. i agree with fishingrod, an early seafarer vsea or viking sound exactly like your description of what you want and a good one will be well within your budget. happy boat hunting :)

gunna
31-08-2006, 10:28 AM
My local Woolies has two boats on the community board. One a 4.5 Bermuda ally runabout for around $16K - the other a nice looking Haines 470 with 70HP donk for $17K. Thats at the Sunny Coast.

manchild
02-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the help everyone . So keen to get back out there ,now that my ears are ok after 4 years .i got on e-bay -there is some nice bargains to be have out there.
Cheers
George