PDA

View Full Version : which outboard.

mossy43
02-09-2006, 03:00 PM
I have a 5metre aluminium centre console which needs a new motor. I am looking at either a 70hp or a 90hp engine but there lies the problem which brand, 2st or 4st or even e-tec it gets very confusing. I have put the question on the board to get everybody suggestions and ideas pros and cons whatever so it might make my job a little easier to make. Thanks in advance. Mossy

finga64
02-09-2006, 04:23 PM
first question:-
What size outboard is the boat rated to.
2nd question:-
What's your budget?

Personally I'd go 4 stroke and the largest size possible for your boat

Now what brand??
Honda then Merc. #:)
And, importantly, which brand has a good service agent close to your home. Not any service agent, a bloody good service service agent because no matter what brand you buy it may or may not break-down.

Now watch the arguements #;)
Cheers and good luck with the new motor
Scott

ribbit
02-09-2006, 04:54 PM
e-tec any day

MulletMan
02-09-2006, 05:58 PM
H # # # # # # # # # # # # # #H
# #O # # # # # # # # # #O
# # # # N # # # # # N
# # # # # # D # D
# # # # # # # #A

jimbo59
02-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Do u do alot of trolling? work the bars a bit?have u got deep pockets?

Outboards are like prawns,ya can eat em all,but the deer one"s taste the best ;)

serene_lady
02-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Mossy, I bought a 50 hp Tohatsu TLDI off Barney about 2 months ago to replace my 40 hp merc lite which is a tohatsu anyway. So far I have put 120 lt through it and I would say it is just about run in. Well the comparison between the two you would not believe. the main one being the difference in fuel. At this point the 50 is running 40% cheaper than the 40, and it is not that the 40 was underpowered as I have a 4,35 Quintrex hornet . I know you could go down and talk to Barney but if you want to give me a ring you can get me at 41236704 Bob.

ahoj
03-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Go simple and ecconomicaly

Ahoj

mossy43
03-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys I am still confussed I think I will have to do a lot of homework. Bob I will give Barney a ring on Monday thanks. Mossy

FNQCairns
03-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Do you ever ski with it? yes- go bigger than 70hp.

Do you often do trips longer than 12-15km straight run at cruising speed? yes-go bigger than 70hp.

Everything else is up to how deep your pockets are and what you believe boating should be, just be mindfull that although it is never expected the 4st engines and the dfi2st engines, if you are planing a long term ownership when things do go wrong, the parts and repair cost could very very easily exceed any thoughts about how much less fuel they use/used over a basic smelly engine.

cheers fnq