PDA

View Full Version : trailer brakes, disks rusting

steveg1100
29-08-2006, 09:49 PM
So does anyone know how to keep your disks from rusting??

blaze
29-08-2006, 10:44 PM
use boat more often which in turn means more brake work for the trailer
cheers
blaze

charleville
29-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Mate - I am not a mechanic but I would have thought that the way to stop them rusting is to have well adjusted brakes that actually work and that therefore the rust would be rubbed off very time the brakes are applied. Other than that I hose my brakes down after every trip to get the salt out of them. This is permissable under the water restrictions.

I hope that some one wiser who understands these things better that me will correct my perspective if I am wrong in what I am doing.

Mr__Bean
30-08-2006, 03:30 AM
Rinse, rinse and rinse again.

I find the only way is to be absolutely sure you have rinsed the salt off before puting the boat away.

I ended up puting in a brake rinse hose on each side of the trailer. It is made from garden sprinkler hose that has a couple of garden spray nozzles fitted to it that are pointed to the brakes behind the wheels, with a hose fitting on the end.

When rinsing the boat off you just attach the hose to the brake rinse line and it sprays water onto the brake caliper and behind the disk where you can't normally get water into from the outside.

The rinse hose is held in place with large plastic tie wraps that go around the trailer section behind the mudguard.

All up it cost me about $15 in the local harware shop and it works a treat.

- Darren

Noelm
30-08-2006, 08:07 AM
hehe welcome to the world of hot, shiny steel and salt water, just put up with it or buy bronze rotors and stuff, but the come at a cost.

John_R
30-08-2006, 08:32 AM
After rinsing and letting dry, spray some WD40 or Inox on the rotors - will help stop rust and won't affect braking - especially if this is done when putting the boat away. The next week most of the inox has gone and brakes work fine.

Regards

John

Argle
30-08-2006, 10:24 AM
As well as the rinse and inox/wd40 treatment try chocking the trailer wheels once you have put the boat away and leave the brakes off. Less chance of the pads sticking to the dics then. 8-)

Cheers and Beers
Scott

steveg1100
30-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah they were already rusted heavily when i got the boat. I have scraped off all the flaking rust and am getting back to metal again. I knew it was under there somewhere. Thanks for all the replies.

jack1
05-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Can't beat regular maintenance, I strip mine down every 12 months, clean the rust off, spray or brush on inox or lenox, never had a problem.