PDA

View Full Version : Bent Tailshaft on Outboard - Advise Pls

BaysideMarine
02-09-2006, 07:04 PM
New propshaft mate or you will bugger the front seal in the box and destroy (potentially) the front bearing.

Probably a $500-1000 repair.

Cheers

parrotfish
02-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Guys,

Second time out in my new tinny today off scarborough, hit a shallow reef bent the tailshaft on my 25hp Johnson Outboard a bit, i tried to straigten when i arrived back home and ended up breaking about 2 inches off the tip of the tailshaft.

The prop is a bit bent with a few rips. but works ok, i can always buy a new prop but pls let me know yr advise on the bent tailshaft and the broken bit at the tip of the shaft.

Worst still no bloody fish and not one bite....................this is depressing stuff guys.

You advise plsssssssssssssssssss

peterbo3
02-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Evening PFish,
If you have a comprehensive insurance policy, you should be covered. You could be looking at a full lower unit rebuild or replacement. Get it checked ASAP.

dan099
02-09-2006, 09:20 PM
DO YOU HAVE A PHOTO OF THE SHAFT

blaze
02-09-2006, 10:08 PM
A good engineering shop will be able to straighten itf for you, it will require the dismantling of your gearbox, even though it is a new setup it will require new seals,
If you have insurance it would be the best way to go and in this case i would demand a new shaft and not a straightened one. Also get a quote for the job and compare against your excess
cheers
blaze

Owen
02-09-2006, 10:18 PM
If you've broken two inches off I imagine the break is along the splines somewhere.
Probably more expensive to repair than replace if that's the case.
i.e straighten, weld the broken bit back on and then re-machine the splines.
If it's insured, I'd be trying for a new one.

cheers,
Owen

savagetin
03-09-2006, 05:42 AM
I think that Parrotfish might mean the skeg not the propshaft.

parrotfish
03-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the advise, sorry but i think i stuffed up its the front half of the skeg which is slightly bent with 2 in off the tip broken off.

Im at Mango Hill does anyone know of a repairer, i heard that Noble Engineering maybe able to carry out these kind of repairs, pls avise.

Does anyone know whether theses kind of repairs are expensive, thank u all for your replies i really appreciate it.

cheers

Ron

Chris_Riethmuller
03-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Ron,
I snapped my skeg off recently also, it cost me $75.00 to fix it looks like new and so far no problems I was in Gladstone at the time, any reputable Ally welder can repair for you, Noble or AMM , maybe call Sundown Marine and see who they use locally. Good Luck.
Rgds Beefa

Dignity
03-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Romn as Beefa says it will be somewhere beyween $75 and $135 depending on the size of the motor,

I got mine done on the southside of brisbane - too far for you to travel.

sam

parrotfish
04-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Beefa and Dignity thanks a lot guys yr a great help, thought it was gonna cost heaps, u make me feel better.

Regards

Ron

Dignity
04-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Ron, at least you hit a reef I hit the boat ramp while launching, hit the brakes just before I got to the water and off she went - never seen the boat leave the trailer so fast. Was checking that the brake would undo for the missus and got distracted and didn't tighten it back up.

sam

parrotfish
05-09-2006, 07:23 AM
Mate,

Launchings not a time to be perving on the missus

Cheers

Dignity
05-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Ron, case of "What do I do next, etc etc etc. She would have to be the most frustrating first mate you could have on a boat. She can not remember what to do in any given situation. Think it has nore to do with her worrying too much. She loves the boat - our previous one was considerably smaller - and is fine once under way but during launch and retrieve I could easily leave her at home.

sam