PDA

View Full Version : 75hp Marina/Mercury

FNQCairns
31-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Just been doing some early research into motors that may suit me later, I noticed this 75hp, 3cyl, carb engine has a displacement of near 1400cc - does anyone know what the fuel economy is like compared to the smaller 60/70hp offerings of Tohatsu/yamaha? The specs on this engine are pretty impressive.

cheers fnq

peterbo3
31-08-2006, 09:44 PM
FNQ,
I had a late 90s model. Bulletproof but a bit thirsty. They are a derated 90hp. They do NOT like to troll for long periods. Gotta run em hard every few hours if you are trolling.

Seahorse
01-09-2006, 07:08 AM
when trolling, bit of a rumble but was told yest to change busch in prop. i got 75hp merc. done 3 hrs. little thirsty but still running in. Got in on back 489 stacer. Seems to have plenty power. at 5000revs 60klm p/h.

cheers
greg

marlinqld
01-09-2006, 08:14 AM
I have the 2003 model 3cyl 75hp Mariner.

I cannot fault it, both performance and economy. Never worked out the litres per km etc, but going on the cost to fill it up after a trip, the economy is excellent IMHO.
Performance wise, cant fault it either, either steaming along at high speed or low speed trolling. Though I will agree that they do rumbl;e a touch at slow trolling speeds.
Overall, i can only recommend them going on my experience. AAA rating IMHO.

Mike

davo
01-09-2006, 09:19 AM
I had the 95 model 75HP Mariner which is basically the same. It was the worst outboard I ever owned. Stator coils, ignition coils, oil tanks, trim and tilt, primer start solenoids and I think I probably forgot somethings. Mercury were not supportive either. The best thing about that motor was that it made me buy a 4 stroke Yammy.

davo
01-09-2006, 09:19 AM
That's right. Water in the gearbox twice :o :o

FNQCairns
01-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the reply's fella's, davo you had a bad trot, I had the same experience 20y ago with a new inline6 merc, sold it with more hours on the aux than the main motor -crap electrical components designed to make a killing after warrenty only served to coin the term black anchor!

With the past firmly in my mind this engine is the only one that's good on paper for my boat, to get the same performance from a 4st I will need around a 115hp and the new lean running 2st engines are a scary thought to own for 15 years straight on my coin!

Recon it is what I will chase up when I can afford it anyway, the engine is a loafer should hardly know it was running no matter what I thow at it. Will do some US forum research also, cheers to all.

Hey Seahorse, just a thought and totally unsolicited as usuall :) talking to sales reps yesterday they tell me the first gearbox oil dump is at 20h :o
Too long! consider 5-10h absolute max then do the 20 as per normal, that is if you plan to keep the engine past warrenty and outward.
They wouln't get away with todays dumbed down maintence schedules designed to appeal to the masses if I owned one of their products again.

cheers fnq

davo
01-09-2006, 11:46 AM
I wasn't the only one that had problems. Two blokes I know had a similar thing. It was also funny when Sandy strait coast guard towed us in their 90Hp mariner wasn't running too well and their main boat had broken a crankshaft on the port motor (135HP Mariner) so they were using the training boat.

Smithy
01-09-2006, 11:56 AM
I'll second Davos and Peterbo3's comments. They are thirsty little devils that is for sure. That whole series of 3 cylinder Merc/Mariners is reknowned for black box/stator problems. The one I use from time to time trolls fine, it is just keeping the fuel up to it that is its biggest problem.

FNQCairns
01-09-2006, 04:26 PM
But, But, But it's got just so much GRUNT! identical spare parts go back until the 1994 model! #:) :)Wish Johnson/Evinrude still made decent long term proposition motors :(

Thanks for the replys I have taken it all on board + I am handy sometimes with outboards, there is just nothing else out there IMO to choose from today for this application and for the money, have time - will think and research some more.

cheers fnq

snapperm8
01-09-2006, 04:38 PM
yer my opinioun dont like em very well grumbly aint good known a fella with 1 had to pretty much just paddled his boat round haha ... something was always the matter witgh it

Smithy
01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
What is wrong with the 90 Yammie 2 stroke 3 cyl.? Just going on CCs?

FNQCairns
01-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Hi Smithy, nothing really it's just got a 9 infront of the 0 so I suspect it will be a few grand dearer to purchase with no justifiable increase in real torque figures over the 75 mercury but I admit I have not looked into this Yammie yet, I might get a nice surprise.

cheers fnq

Seahorse
01-09-2006, 09:06 PM
hey mike,

i went to the boat show tonight and spoke to merc dealers. You can put a nylon and rubber busch in the prop and takes away thar growling noise. He said it had something to do with the aluminium prop and low speed. I will be changing at first service. I have only been out couple times in mine but i think i will enjoy it.
Its funny how everybody knows someone who has had problems with their motor, wheter it be merc, yammy, etec, tohatsu, then you hear people who just love them.
If one was the best then everyone would have that motor on the back of their boat. Just amazies me how people bag motors. Must make people with those motors feel good.

cheers
greg

i

FNQCairns
02-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Seahorse it's all OK, I have my mind set on one of these ATM and am happy for peoples honesty/opinions, it's important to me.

You own the gutsy-est 3cyl out there, the only engine that will touch it is the 4cyl engines, some of the 4cyl 4stroke engines will not even go close. It has a long hisory so problems are well documented - as are the best fixes. From my research todays mercs have a very much uprated electronics pack compared to days gone past, but if you ever do have problems and the dollars are coming out of your pocket remember the words CDI/Rapair and be done with it forever. Odds are you will never ever have a problem with it as I suspect most experience no drama's. You have a great boating package, stop being slack with those hours you should have tripple that by now on a week old boat ;)!

cheers fnq

mossy43
02-09-2006, 02:43 PM
I to am interested in purchasing a 75 merc but how do they compare to other 70 and 75 on fuel consumption or would you be better going to the 75 optimax and be done with it. Fair enough the price difference and weight difference but could you save on the fuel costs enough over a few years to offset the cost. Mossy

Seahorse
03-09-2006, 05:04 PM
i must admit, that the 75 merc does seem like it likes little juice. dont know if they r must worse than others. i would have loved an optimax, but just couldnt justify another $4000.
i have done 6.6 hrs in mine. prob spent $70. dont know if that good.

cheers
greg

Seahorse
04-09-2006, 05:31 PM
hey mike.
about that bit of grumbling noise at low speed. Rang my dealer today and he told me that he would put a new busch in prop. Its the one out of the optimax and big foot 4 stroke. I am taking down prop later in week and they will do while i wait. Apparently its made from titanium. See nhow it goes

cheers
greg

eugah
04-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I have a 90hp 3 cyl optimax & i would pay the extra money for the fuel injection. You can troll all day without a problem & fuel economy is brilliant.
Last week did 100km used 42 litres at mostly 3/4 throttle.
The 75 is just a down spec model of 1500 cc.

Adrian

Seahorse
05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
would have been nice to go optimax but just to expensive. i should be ok with new busch

dnej
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
FNQ,
So why not go for a 70 hp Yammie,instead of the 90 hp.One tough motor.I can get you a 90 ,off the shelf for $8800.Fitting extra.

I almost went for a 70,but they didnt have the long shaft in a 70 ,so bit the bullet,and went long shaft 90.

They dont look pretty,but very tough, as they say.
David

FNQCairns
05-09-2006, 09:22 PM
dnej yep I agree, I would own a 90 Yam long term, they are good engines, sounds like a great price too, thanks for the offer.
ATM probably around 6 months away from owning most of the cash for a new engine, if I don't buckle and buy an older model 75 or 90 to rebuild in the meantime I will get in contact and see what can be worked out then.

Looks good in the pic I like the full pod setup on what looks like an older hull, must go good.

cheers and thanks fnq