PDA

View Full Version : Clontarf Boat Ramp?

Obi___Wan
07-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know when they are going to dredge the Clontarf boat ramp?

Can remember seeing a thread here saying that they had seen in the paper some where that it was going to happen.

Absolutely sick of wading through the stinking muck at low tide >:(

Cheers,
John.

SgBFish
08-09-2006, 09:18 AM
John.
I agree the ramp surrounds are a joke. >:(
It is supposed to be a navagatable channel. Its not only unusable at near low water but dangerous I've seen people sink to their waists in mud!

I rang the Redcliffe council 2 weeks ago and they aren't to blame they approached the Department of Transport 2 years ago to the start the process.
I was given a contact in the DoT who was coordinating the dredging. The department has put out a tender which closed on the 23/08/06 for the area to be dredged to 0.6M below LAT. The apporval to do this is with the EPA.

There are 2 issues:
The first is the EPA and the approval process, how long it takes and the tight restrictions they place on what can be done. To get approval to dredge deeper would be almost impossible to get through the EPA.

The second issue is the disposal of the spoil. It will most probably have to go out on the spoil grounds near the river.

So those that use the ramp need to contact the EPA as they seem to be where the bottleneck is.

So hopefully something will happen soon. But the depth they are talking about will hardly be worth it.
If not if someone has a large Excavator and a couple of free hours one night we could knock it over. ;D ;D ;D
Cheers,
Scott

brettski3
08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
never been any good for boats over 5 metres

Mr__Bean
08-09-2006, 10:00 AM
If not if someone has a large Excavator and a couple of free hours one night we could knock it over. #;D ;D ;D
Cheers,
Scott

Not sure that would be a good idea out in the mud.

Here is a piccy of the excavators being used in the recent Altona Ramp dredging at Melbourne.

The first one went down in the mud so they sent out another to help free it, expensive excercise now with both of them bogged deep in the mud and unable to move them without being able to start the engines to drive the hydraulics.

Without hydraulics they are just a big lump of iron.

- Darren

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l54/el-guapo_72/Picture337.jpg

brettski3
08-09-2006, 10:06 AM
oops

Argle
08-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Looks like a couple of cheap excavators going at the auctions shortly ;D

Argle
08-09-2006, 10:45 AM
And it also shows the old saying is true "Cats dont like water" ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers and Beers
Scott

The_Walrus
08-09-2006, 09:43 PM
EPA & boating/fishing

Do you really expect them to move it along without some healthy prodding >:(

Bring out the zapers :o

Luc

Obi___Wan
09-09-2006, 03:40 PM
When one considers that we pay dearly for boat rego, trailer rego, extra for parity costs and then GST on fuel, us boaties get a pretty raw deal! :'(

On top of that when we leave our cars and boat trailers at the parking spaces, if available, we play russian roulette, not knowing if when we get back to the ramp, if our car has been broken into or vandalised or worse still no car or trailer there! No security why not regular patrols? :'(

And we are left to contend with the crappy condition of the ramp, not only at Clontarf but at others like the Comslie ramp. >:(

It's just not good enough! >:(

Can anybody, please, supply me with an email address so that i may stir up the EPA re; approval of required maintenace at Clontarf????? :)

Cheers,
John.