PDA

View Full Version : Bribie to Moreton

Pacific
07-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi Guys ,
I am newish to Brisbane. I want to go Moreton in my Savage Lancer. The charts show not much water in a few spots . Is there a good way to go ,or just miss the sandbars and go the shortest direction.

Thanks

honda900
07-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Pacific,

the bay can be very nasty in places, #think about buying a map only 12 dollars or so. #very shallow in a lot of places. #Not only sand but reefs and rocks as well. #just be carefull, #take your time and look for signs on the water, ie cam day but rough patches of water. #

The bay also has a bad habit of turning nasty very quickly always check the weather reports..

but on a nice calm day precautions taken can be very scenic and relaxing and plenty of fish to boot.

regards
Honda900

Pacific
07-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks Honda,
Yep , I do have a chart. So I guess the easiest way from Bribie would be to use the chart and the GPS. Follow the markers south and across to Pearl Channel .Does that sound about right.

Thanks
Pacific

25_ponies
08-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Pacific,

The run from Bribie over to the top end of Moreton is quite good, and much shorter than going from Redcliffe or other spots further south. You do have to keep an eye out for the weather, as you are fairly close to the open seas at that end of the bay.

I usually leave from the Bongaree ramp. Just come out of the passage and head left until you go round the last green beacon. Make sure you go a fair way north and past Gilligans Island before you turn east towards moreton, as there is still a fair bit of skinny water after you go past the red beacon on Gilligans.

If you are heading over to Curtain, I would recommend approaching the M3 and M4 beacons from slightly north and then going in via the shipping channel. There is a shallow patch to the south west of the M3 that may see you bottom out if there's any sort of swell running. Once you reach the beacons it's an easy run down to Tangas as well.

It's about a 20km one way trip from the Pumicestone Passage entrance to Curtain via this route.

Cheers,

Alan.

Pacific
09-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks Alan,

I will give it a go shortly.

Pacific

25_ponies
09-09-2006, 11:19 AM
something I forgot to mention when you are in that part of the bay is to watch how far north you go if you don't have an EPIRB. The limit for non-EPIRB boating is an imaginary line between Skirmish Point on Bribie and Comby Point on Moreton.

I've been visited a few times by the B&F guys up that way, so if you're going over the line make sure you've got an EPIRB.

PADDLES
09-09-2006, 09:43 PM
hey pacific, if you can time your runs with the tides you can scoot across most of those northern bay banks pretty much from half tide upwards. if there's some wind/swell though the shallow areas get pretty ugly very quick. even though it's a bit longer the run from redcliffe over to tangalooma is in quite deep water for the bay. we run directly east from here at beachmere to tangalooma and there are a few shallw banks but if it's a nice day and we're on the plane there's no worries going over them.