PDA

View Full Version : MERCURY OUTBOARDS

Seahorse
09-09-2006, 08:20 PM
i had this loud chatter in my new 75hp merc at revs less than 1000revs. Mate of mine got a 90 merc and has same problem. Noise is quiet loud, like a grinding, rattlely noise. Took boat back to dealer on fri and he took out the busch in the stainless steel prop and replaced it with the busch from the optimax.
Took out this arvo and noise is gone, so if there r other guys out there with same problem with their mercs that have stainless props this is the answer. The dealer knew about the chatter noise but said people just accepted it. I found this info out from the merc dealer at the boat show. Hope this may help others.

cheers
greg

BaysideMarine
09-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Very good post.

Well done.

Seahorse
09-09-2006, 09:30 PM
mate is getting his done. Cost me $70. mate was quoted $140 from his dealer at redcliffe. cunn mar.

Black_Rat
09-09-2006, 09:35 PM
I've got a newish Merc 90 strk (2 years old) and haven't noticed a rattle, but if it happens I know where to look #;)

Seahorse
09-09-2006, 09:59 PM
black-rat
do u have a stainless prop? alley props are appently ok

Black_Rat
09-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah it's a Stainless prop which I think was standard two years ago

Argle
10-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Got a Merc 90 2 stroke with a stainless Vengance prop, no noise at this stage but thanks for the heads up ;)

Cheers and Beers
Scott

chris_stanley
10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
I got a 03, 140hp merc with stainless vengance prop with guess what, yes chatter. Thanks for the info i now know where to look and where others have failed and invoiced me.

Seahorse
10-09-2006, 01:12 PM
chris
i dont know if there are different stainless props. mine is a vengence as well 3 blade. strange how some do it and some dont. the busch out of the optimax and the big foot is one piece where the other is 2 piece. the one out of the optimax has titanium pins in the middle. apparently u just take in ur prop and they just tap it out. the dealer showed me the specs where it said to put these busches in the 2 strokes to lessen the chatter. they r called something like torque flow busches or something like that. in the 2 strokes they were called flow no2 and in the optimax they r flow no 3.hope it works for u.

cheers
greg

wayne_cook
10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
no noise yet but iv'e had a 75 and a 90 both new and i did a solenoid on each. First one I replaced the second I repaired as I was away on hols and none was available.
Merc claimed they arn't repairable same as the local merc dealer >:(
It's amazing what u can do with a borrowed battery drill 4 cable ties and a bit of sand paper.

Bear

jimbo1
11-09-2006, 12:26 AM
I have a similar noise while at under 1000rpm - stainless vengence prop on a 90hp merc 2str! on my test run with the dealer on the water I was told that it was something that stainless props do?

James

gawby
11-09-2006, 07:13 AM
When i had my other boat GAWBY, it has a 90 merc with the vengance s/s prop and i had the same problem whilst trolling for macs of palmy reef.
Went back to Tweed Coast Marine and no problems to fix it at my expense by fitting the two piece block in the prop. I didnt mind paying to fix it.
Changing to a steal prop will fix the problem as well.
Explanation for such, as stated by others, The s/s prop causes this problem because it dosn't flex and causes the rattle in the leg to the gear box.
Other than that the merc was a mighty fine motor and pushed the Gawby where ever we wanted to go and was realy good on fuel.
Chub, still gotta catch up and give you the one piece block.
Graeme ;)

whykickacatalong
11-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the info. Mine is a 2002 90 2stroke with the 18p SS Vengence prop but so far I have not noticed a noise (which I assume from your post is very noticable). Will take notice next time on the water though and if a problem I now know what to do ;)

Dont suppose you have a pic of what they did, some people may have bought a second hand motor which has already had the modification done to it (like me :D)

Seahorse
11-09-2006, 05:18 PM
james,
just go and get the centre of the prop replaced with the one from the optimax. called a flow torque.
noice is reduced shit loads to nearly unnoticeable.
iam very happy.

hey why
i will take a pic of the one that came out. i got that as a spare now

cheers
greg