PDA

View Full Version : Boat repairs

howzat
09-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi guys,

I have a bit of a problem, I have a 4.88mt halfcabin fibreglass boat and i think half my floor is stuffed. I have been told by someone that they would be able to fix it on the cheap by putting another floor over the existing floor. but as i know the struts underneath are gone would this be safe ? Also would there be anyone out that would be interested in having a look and maybe helping out with this floor problem i am having. If so you post me a reply on this site. Really hanging to get out on the water.

Cheers
Howzat

griz066
09-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Others here will have some very expert advice for you mate but all I will say is do not go for the quickie fix as it will cost you in the long run 8-)

finga64
09-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Don't put another floor over the top. No, don't do it. :P
That's like a fresh layer of prawns on the old smelly ones at the RSL seafood smorgusboard
OK for a while but the problem can only get worse.
Where you Howzat??

howzat
09-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the reply mate,
The guy that spoke to me said he would fix it for me. either remove the floor or go over the top but i checked out the price of the materials and it was going to cost around $300 and then he was going to charge me around $1000 for labour, does that sound right ?

Cheers
Howzat

howzat
09-09-2006, 06:02 PM
I am at chermside, have a little problem of getting the boat out of the yard is possible but a real pain as it is a tight squeeze. Would really like to fix the boat properly and even put seats in.

Cheers

Howzat

wallyk
11-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Howzat,
You could try Arnolds' Fibreglass repairs at Hemmant, top bloke and does great work.
Cheers Wally

BaysideMarine
11-09-2006, 10:31 PM
No one will come and do it onsite..

FAR too difficult.......

Putting a new floor on top of your already rotten floor is one way around your problem..... But its a pretty bodgy way..

Ceetainly if your stringers also are gone then you ave no integrity in your hull and a fair pound in some decent water could very well break the boat.

The proper way to repair your problem will be to rip up the floor and the stringers and replace both. HUGE job.

Or, do the dodgy, by some 12mm structural ply from Bunnings or a Plyboard business. Glue and screw it down over the existing floor. Carpet it and you will have a nice solid floor.

And a dodgy boat owner... But thats your call..

Blackened
11-09-2006, 10:56 PM
G'day
Do NOT bodge this job up. Do so and expect a major failure a short time down the track. Seriously do a search on this site and the various rebuild threads so you know what is involved. Shoot pete, Grand_Marlin a pm. This is his line of work and quality and expertese is brilliant.
Dave