PDA

View Full Version : QUINNY WITH BUBBLING PAINT ???

Pitsta
12-09-2006, 07:06 PM
CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WY THE PAINT IS BUBBLING
SEEM'S TO BE RESTRICTED TO THE GUNNEL ONLY ..!!

CHEERS MARK ;)

SunnyCoastMark
12-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey Mark,
Probably need a bit more info before anyone can answer>

1) How old is the Boat?

2) Are the affected areas around things that are fixed with stainless bolts?

3)What brand outboard do you have on (and how old)?

Mark

Pitsta
12-09-2006, 07:24 PM
YEAH SORRY MATE. IT'S 2002 . MOST OF ITS AROUND FICTURES & OTHER PLACES
MERCURY OUTBOARD 2003 ..!!
UNDER THE BUBBLES LOOK'S LIKE SALTY PUS.!

MARK ;)

OISTA
12-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Could be bad surface prep before painting. Unsure, but I think they quote something about "paint degredation" in the back of the Quintrex catalogue in the warranty section.

BaysideMarine
12-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Good luck with trying to get joy from the manufacturer....

There was a lengthy post (or 5) on Fishnet a while back and it would seem that alloy boat manufacturers in this country are saying too bad, its normal for your paint to bubble. Its not warranty, have a nice life......

Poor attitude I know but that seems to be the general consensus from people who have attempted a warranty repair scenario.

Typically the bubbling occurs around fittings where there are disimilar metals (stainless bolts and alloy hull etc). Anywhere there are disimilar metals there will be a transfer of electrons from the weaker metal to the stronger in the presence of an electrolyte solution (salt water). What you effectively have is a big battery....... Leave it in the water and it will disolve itself eventually..

One could also suggest poor quality alloy these days....

Be worth seeing one of these cases proceed to the civil tribunal as the answers from the manufacturers are not acceptable and if the dealer fitted the options to the boat then the dealer has a liability in the situation also. I dont believe it would be acceptable for the paint to peel of your vehicle inside of say 2 years so nor should it be acceptable with a boat. After all, how many ancient outboards say 30 plus years old still have minimal or no corrosion.... Plenty..

Cheers

Wear_the_fox_hat
12-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Pitsta,
It's electrolosis & it's not paint degredation. If the dealer sold it to you new with the fittings on the boat where the problems are, it's their problem not yours as far as I'm concerned. This is preventable by using a simple product called Duralac on the fittings before assembly. No, I'm not advertising the product, it's a plain & simple fact. Refer posts by others & myself on previous threads not that long ago as to how & why it happens & how to fix it. Dealers & manufacturers dodge this issue like the plague when it comes to warranty claims.

Regards,
WTFH

wayneoro
13-09-2006, 06:34 AM
mate its unusual for a painted tinnie not to save yourself years of stress and money remove the paint cheers

stork71
13-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Good luck trying to get Telwater to help you out..I along with many others have tried to go down that path, only to be told it is not covered and your on your own. And that was on a 10mth old boat!!!

marzoe
13-09-2006, 02:38 PM
There are a couple of guys up Gladstone way who, through much hard work and legal advice have managed to get their boats repainted from Quintrex.
Following months of emails and threatening legal action they were able to get some help.
Their boats had to be totally stripped of all accessories before sending them down the coast for a repaint
MY 460 Freedom Sport also has corrosion bubbles and that appeared within 4 months of purchase.
I #asked the dealer about it and he said that it was salt creep and not covered by warranty.
If anyone wants advice you can PM me and I can give you the guys' phone numbers.
Maybe a class action would be the way to go.
I'm sure most painted quinnies have the same problems.

Crisp_Bee
13-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Does not sound like a good advertisement for Quintrex :-/

Pitsta
13-09-2006, 04:17 PM
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUY'S ! I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THE CAUSE STRAIGHT UP
IM IN THE WINDOW BIS. YOU ONLY HAVE TO LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU COMBINE STAINLESS SCREWS / ALLOY & DETERGENT. THE SAME THING !!! MIGHT TRY GIVING THE BOYS AT QUINTREX A CALL JUST TO SEE :o

CHEERS ALL MARK ;)