PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramps with big drop-offs

charleville
11-09-2006, 11:48 PM
The following are comments made in the recent thread on the big drop-off at the Colmsie boat ramp ( http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1157705093/0 )...

ive driven the cat trailer off the end at dead low off mooloolaba,tin can bay and hook point boat ramp.

Charlie, yes that faded orange vertical part is the end of the ramp.

They shouldn't be concerned about the motor legs, last time I checked there was about a 2m drop-off at the ramp edge.s

I also noticed a warning sign at Redland Bay ramp today. See below.

Which other ramps around SE Qld have hidden surprises for the unwary, please?

25_ponies
12-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Bruce,

One that I've seen a few people take a dunking on is the Boykambil Esplanade ramp on the Gold Coast. It's very deceptive as it has a sandy beach right next to it, but the ramp is fairly short and there's a nice 6m sheer drop off at the end waiting to trap the unweary.

The Turana St ramp a few hundred metres further up the creek is similar, I think it was where someone lost their car and trailer a couple of years back (red falcon IIRC).

The great thing about them is that if your car + trailer go under, they don't need to be salvaged as they are so deep they don't even create a navigation hazard and people can still use the ramp :o

Cheers,

Alan.

marlinqld
12-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Wello Point is one of the bad ones for me............... not just drop off at the end, but it's rough, slippery and not alot of water at low tide..... ranks in the top 5 worst for mine.

Mike

brettski3
12-09-2006, 07:19 PM
cabbage tree has a drop at low tide, i just take it slow backing down

gilbo
13-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Wasn't too sure about a new ramp one day - got out ok at high tide, come back in at low tide and wasn't sure how far I could put the trailer in so sent one of the deckies to see how far the ramp went back.

Was going ok, ankles, shins, up to knees, one more step........ oooops up to neck, guess we found how far it went back, nothing more to do but sit there and wait for the tide, with a very wet and not too happy deckie ;D

Jitlands
13-09-2006, 10:03 AM
The "town" or upstream ramp at Burrum Heads is a corker.
Concrete bumper at the end of the ramp.
Drops in to 6m plus with a steaming tide.

Saw a bloke put both axles of his trailer over the bumper, 20foot of boat with the trailer chassis sitting on the bumper and the weight of the boat lifting the arse of the car.

With some help and a bit of pannic got the boat off and he skull dragged the trailer back onto the ramp

SeaHunt
13-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Wasn't too sure about a new ramp one day - got out ok at high tide, come back in at low tide and wasn't sure how far I could put the trailer in so sent one of the deckies to see how far the ramp went back.

Was going ok, ankles, shins, up to knees, one more step........ oooops up to neck, guess we found how far it went back, nothing more to do but sit there and wait for the tide, with a very wet and not too happy deckie #;D

Good one ;D

I usually do the dirty work myself.
On an unfamiliar ramp if I cant see through the water I walk down carefully feeling with my feet, need those boat shoe things so you don't go arse up on the slippery ones or cut your feet.

charleville
13-09-2006, 12:30 PM
The "town" or upstream ramp at Burrum Heads is a corker.
Concrete bumper at the end of the ramp.
Drops in to 6m plus with a steaming tide.

Gosh! #I am really glad that I started this thread. #Lots to learn here. #;) #Thanks guys. #:)

On an unfamiliar ramp if I cant see through the water I walk down carefully feeling with my feet,

After reading and seeing all in this thread, I might start carrying a long cane to prod unfamiliar ramps going down to see if the ramp disappears.

Cheech
13-09-2006, 12:48 PM
From what I can tell, it is a better bet to assume there will be a dropoff on all ramps unless you find otherwise. Better than assuming there isn't and coming unstuck.

If it isn't a dropoff at low tide, it is often lack of water. Either way, most ramps at low tide are not ideal. When possible, I try to plan my departure and return at times other than low tide around the full and new moons.

Cheech

Black_Rat
13-09-2006, 07:12 PM
cabbage tree has a drop at low tide, i just take it slow backing down

Looking from the road towards the water, from the center to the left hand side is the better side of the ramp.

But then again if it's a busy weekend you probably won't have a choice, just take it easy and tread lightly. Like most boat ramps at low tide it's slippery #;) I know from experience #;D

brettski3
13-09-2006, 08:33 PM
ever driven your boat onto the trailer?
one reason why they all have drops at low