PDA

View Full Version : Trolling motor on transom with outboard

NormC
12-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I have a 3.5 m Stacer that I use as a roof topper on the 4B on trips. It is powered by a 15HP mercury.

Separately, I have a 40 lb thrust Min Kota Riptide, that I normally use on a Rosco Basscatcher canoe.

The tinnie is great, but I often miss the silent running and easy start and manouverability of the elec motor, particularly when working around snags and recovering stuck lures.

I've been thinking about fitting the Min Kota (a transom mount model) as a second motor on the tinnie.
It will need to be moutned right to one side, well away from the outboard. I figure I will have to get some modifications done, to create a horizontal spot to clamp the motor to.

Qustions:
Any problem running an elec motor positioned to the side of the transom like this?
The transom is not reinforced in this area. Is this a problem. The Min Kota is very light and doesn't provide a lot of thrust, so I'm guessing it is OK.
Any idea how well the 40lb motor will run the 82KG tinnie?

Any other issues I need to consider?

fish_hunter
12-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Norm

I have used a 40lb Riptide on the back of my 12 foot tinny many times with the outboard also attached with no problem at all. Great for trolling and plenty of power to push the boat. Just need to mount in far enough over one side so that it doesnt hit the outboard .

Cheers

mini696
12-09-2006, 03:24 PM
I have a 50lb Minn Kota on the transon of my 4m stacer. #I mount it as far outboard as possible (hard up against the corner stiffening).

Never had a problem steering the boat.

The petrol outboard puts a lot more stress on the transom cos its in the centre than your electric ever will.

I guess my boat would be well over 85kgs, especially with me onboard. At a guess with me a friend and all tackle it would be closer to 250kgs. The GPS shows top speed at 3 knots.

NormC
12-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys. Have you modified the back of the boat? Mine comes down at a serious angle from the corner stiffening to the centre where the outboard is.

I can get it on vertically with one clamp right down and the other up so that it is only about 70% on the boat. That is, some of the clamp is sitting above the top of the transom. That's why I was thinking of having a bit of aluminium welded on to create a level spot for it to go.

I guess the best way to find out is to take it out and test it.

When not using the elec, I guess I'll just pull it up and use the clamp on the shaft to hold it up in the vertical position. If I tilt it over, it is likely to get in the way. What do you guys do here?

BrandonH
13-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Mate i run a outfit very similar to you ;) 3.7mtr clark with 4st 15hp and 40lb thrust minn kota.

You can see the ply I have used for mounting it at the back, I found it worked better having it on my left side (looking forward) as you can use the same hand to stear it with. there is another piece of ply the same size on the other side (outside the boat) to give it timber on both sides to mount to. I DON'T run the petrol motor with the electric down becuase you will end up ripping the electronic off the back of your boat!! or at least make the locking mech very loose :-[ #Always bring it either stright up way outa the water or bring it up and forward. One thing i haven't doen yet that i want to do is staple a piece of rubber accros the top of both pieces of ply to enable me to just sling them over the back of the boat and mount the motor without having to hold the ply as well :( This will make things much easier!! I will see if i can get some more pics of my setup if you like?

(I am running on the lecky in the pic but steering with the petrol motor, this works well for long corners not tight turning).
http://members.optusnet.com.au/b.hazelwood/Father%20and%20daughter.JPG

Also don't drive home with it mounted on the back either as it wears the locking mech away.. the new metal based ones might be better??

Cheers
Brandon...

NormC
13-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks for that Brandon. Also hadn't thought of steering with the outboard. I'll give it a go since it is easier to reach from the normal sitting position.

Like you fishing buddy.

Norm C

BrandonH
13-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Lol yeah thanks mate :) she is good value but is a pain if flicking lures cause she barks at them every time >:( thats why trawling is good with her or bait fishing ;)

Only thing with steering with the petrol is that you won't get as quick or hard a turn, also getting the lecky in the right position to start with can be hard, turned a little towards the centre of the boat works well for me and my setup. It is perfect for trawling up a resionably stright creek or dropoff though ;)

cheers
Brandon...

NormC
14-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I made up a bracket based on your idea Brandon. Two pieces of ply, with other pieces of ply between them, cut to the angle of the transom side. I glued a bit of rubber onto the timber where it sits on the transom. This stops it slipping down the slope before I get the motor on. I just drop it over the transom and it sits firm and straight. Minn Kota clamps on to that.

Looks good in the workshop, but it hasn't been on the water yet. Too much wind at the moment. Once it drops, I'll give it a run.

Probably need to extend the power cables so that I can get the battery up the front for when I'm out by myself. I currently use a 120AH AGM battery, which weighs 36 KG. I could probably come down to a 50 or 70 AH though, since the main running will now be on the outboard. Elec only for a bit of trolling (don't do much of that) and silent running around the snags / retreiving lures, etc.

Thanks for the idea.

BrandonH
14-09-2006, 05:13 PM
No worries Mate ;) I actually run 2x 120ah amptec batterys in front of my middle seat. (3 seat tinny). Anyways I had to extend the wires but don't mind the extra weight close to the front. seams to make the boat ride very smooth when on my own in fair chop, and I don't feel any real difference with a mate in the boat too :) If i am trowling on the electronic motor on speed 3 i get about 4 hours out of one battery (solid running). this will drop down quite a bit if you go to a smaller amp battery. Anways would be interested in seeing a pic of your setup when your finished!! (I still need to do the rubber thing over the top :-[).

Cheers
Brandon...

NormC
14-09-2006, 08:31 PM
I bought a new 60 AH Fullriver AGM today. I estimate I'll get about 1 to 1.5 hrs of running on it. Since I don't so a lot of trolling, I think that will be fine. If necessary I can toss one of the 120 AH ones in.

I mainly got the smaller battery due to weight. Since I travel with the tinnie as a roof topper, I don't like the idea of lugging a 35KG battery in and out all the time.