PDA

View Full Version : singld handed launch / retreive

quigley595
11-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Hi folks,
just wondering how many of you guys go out in the boat alone, and how do you go launching & retreiving the boat alone. I have a 4.8 mtr ally.
Is there a particular etiquette on the ramp when you are on your own, taking longer to get the boat in/out and the car to & from the ramp?

As you may guess, I'm not too experienced.... only recently got a boat.

Mike

finga64
11-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Best idea is go down to the ramp where you plan to regularly launch from for a few hours and watch before you even take the boat down.
Each ramp is different.
You might get some real good pointers and might also see what NOT to do as well.
Might get a few laughs as well #:)
It's pretty easy for me to launch alone as I have a tiny tinny and launch from a ramp with a sandy beach next to it.
I always have a rope on the front and don't undo the safety chain until your ready to push the boat off.
I also don't drown the trailer. I let the rollers and slides guide the boat off when I give it the heev ho. (you'll learn when you watch a few boats just how much water you need to safely launch your boat without damage).
Then it's easy to pull the boat around on the sand.
Retrieval: I back the trailer down and pending on the direction of the current push the boat upcurrent a tad when I put the winch hook in the eye. Hopefully by the time I get to the front of the trailer to winch it on the current has let the boat swing around so it's in line with the rollers. I also hold the rope on the front of the boat so there is some tension between the boat and the rear roller. Just so the current doesn't drag the whole boat away.
I winch it on a tad, check that everything lines up and then into it.
make sure you put the safety chain on before you move the car and trailer.

Etiquette: don't put everything in the boat after you'll backed down the ramp. Prepare the boat before you start backing just so the ramp isn't tied up. The same applies on the way back. Don't unload all the boat when you put on the trailer on the ramp. There are usually dedicated rigging areas.
People realise it'll take a bit longer solo and from past experience a lot of people will volunteer to help.

Lone_Wolf
11-09-2006, 08:05 AM
There are no ramp rules Mike, it is more like you said, ramp etiquette. The only advice I can see is:

a)If it is all new to you, I would deliberately attempt to go and return from fishing in non peak periods. This way, you have a little more time for the exercise. Practice makes perfect.
b) When you depart to go fishing, have the winch cable already out for the retrieval.
c) When returning, beach your boat as close to the ramp as possible without interfering with other boats.
d) Run like a whippett or at least appear to have urgency in your step when going to get the car.
e) Retrieve and secure your boat #as quickly as possible. The straps,bungs etc can be done once you have driven back up the ramp.
f) If you are having difficulty because of the wind etc, ask for help. 99% of boaties will be more than prepared to assist in the interests of a good will.

Good luck, safe boating!

LW

# #

Chimo
11-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Hi quigley595

The way to soothe impatient ramp people is to make sure you have a couple of cold slabs of beer and soft drinks and you hand out stubbies / cans to make them happier.

If that doesn't work resort to 6 packs.

By the time the drinks have been enjoyed and the previously impatient people have joined forces to help you you will be on the water and will have heaps of new friends!

Alternatively offer to help others and they will give you a hand; in most cases.

Just make sure you are set up and well prepared with lines attached, fenders hung, tie downs off etc before you back down the ramp.

Above all be happy and you will infect others.

Where are you located anyway. If its Tas you may have to amend the drinks bit to include Cocoa and hot teas instread of beer.

Chimo

Chimo
11-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Hi quigley595

The way to soothe impatient ramp people is to make sure you have a couple of cold slabs of beer and soft drinks and you hand out stubbies / cans to make them happier. #

If that doesn't work resort to 6 packs. #

By the time the drinks have been enjoyed and the previously impatient people have joined forces to help you will be on the water and will have heaps of new friends!

Alternatively offer to help others and they will give you a hand; in most cases.

Just make sure you are set up and well prepared with lines attached, fenders hung, tie downs off etc before you back down the ramp. #

Keep winch cable and saftey chain atached until your at the water, nothing snarls up a ramp and upsets impatient people like a boat hi and dry on a ramp with the trailer not under it. #Doing this will howerer create much amusement for the tribe who frequent boat ramps and are called "Ramp Followers or Rampies"

Above all, be happy and you will infect others.

Where are you located anyway. #If its wer Tas you may have to amend the drinks bit to include Cocoa and hot teas instead of beer; Qld Sunny Coast' coldies should be fine.

Chimo

PS Sorry for double post How do you get rid of extras?

Borminator
11-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Mike,
I often go out by myself and launch and retrieve alone. I have a 4.65 Trailcraft which is similar in size to your rig and I never have a problem. The most important thing to do is get orgianised prior to lining up at the ramp. It sounds obvious but you see a lot of blokes line the trailer up ready to launch, taking up space, and then they decide to take off the straps, get the bait out, look for goodness knows what and generally stuff around. Have everything ready to go. Prime the fuel line if required, have the key ready, undo the motor support and straps and have all your gear actually in the boat. I launch and then pull the boat aside and usually just drag it up out of the water while I park the car. Use an anchor if you think you have to. I am lucky as the ramps I use have mud or sand areas beside them. You will find that most people will treat you well if you look like you are doing the right thing and will even offer to hold the boat for you if you look like you need a hand. It can be stressful at busy ramps until you have launched a few times and then it's easy. Watch what other blokes do and you will pick up a few good tips.

And remember NEVER undo the safety chain between the boat and trailer until you are actually at the bottom of the ramp ready to launch. It's all about having fun. :)

Geoff

Borminator
11-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Gees you blokes are quick! When I started my post there were no replies and by the time I sent it there were 4. That's why it repeats good advice already given. 8-)

Chimo
11-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Hey Blue Dog

Wheres your hospitality advice? #No drinks up there?

Chimo

Borminator
11-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Chimo, I did like your advice. After a few six packs no one will give a rats %$#@ how long you take! I spent most of my learning about boating years on Cape York where if you saw another boat all day it was unusual. I'm still picking up pointers on how to deal with ramps in civilised areas. Only problem I see is that when retrieving the boat all the beer will probably be gone.

Bluedog

Chimo
11-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi Blue Dog

Thanks for yours.

Coldy storage is not that much of a problem in Seafarer Vags with all the eskys under seats etc etc, but I know what you mean.

Boatings a bit like flying, you need to keep 45 mins fuel (grog) in reserve too; hence the need to order additional esky space when setting up the boat don't you reckon?

Cheers

Chimo

PS Quigley 595, Have you organized extra cold storage yet?

finga64
11-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Gees you blokes are quick! #When I started my post there were no replies and by the time I sent it there were 4. #That's why it repeats good advice already given. #8-)
That is amasing unless you type at the same speed as me.....where that bloody a...Ah, there it is...A... :D

snapperm8
11-09-2006, 09:42 AM
well easy enough try to find a boat ramp with sand or soft ground near the ramp of sum1 to tie ur boat up or to place ur boat whist ur talking ur car bak then do the same when u come in ;) ;) [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

charleville
11-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I always have a rope on the front and don't undo the safety chain until your ready to push the boat off.

I agree with all that I have seen written in the above posts on this topic - well except for handing around a stack of grog to people who are about to drive somewhere, that is. #;)

I spent every Saturday morning for #six months before I bought a boat watch people launch and retrieve at Wellington Point ramp and at that stage noticed that most boats have only one person on them anyway - so you won't be in the minority as a solo boatie.

The thing that I would add to the above responses is that the rope that I have on the front of my boat is quite long - never actually measured it but my guess is that it would be 10+ metres. #That length helps a lot at times as you can just shove the boat out of the way and take your time and pulling it in. #This is very helpful at places like Jacob's Well on a busy day as you might find that by the time you have backed the trailer down to retrieve your boat, you might have six boats parked on the beach between your boat and the ramp. #Sure you can wade out behind the boats but you will get awfully wet. #Better to just give the boat a good shove out backwards as far as you can and walk past the boats lifting the rope over the top of them. #Even if they have high canopies etc, they may have someone on board who will lift the rope over their boat for you.

Notwithstanding ramp rage which I have seen but never been involved with, I have found people only too eager to help the lone boatie retrieve the boat if a cross wind gets you. #Even had one middle aged lady tuck her dress under her pants like the girls used to do at school when playing sport and wade out to help steady my boat - did not ask for her help, she just volunteered it.

I follow the same routine every time when launching and retrieving and even on the very few occasions when I have a deckie, I prefer to continue to launch and retrieve as if on my own so tat I maintain my process. (Well I do give the deckie some little job so that they feel that they are doing their bit ;))

The other open secret about solo boating is to be choosy about the ramps from which you will launch. #Look for a ramp protected from winds and with a bit of beach beside it for beaching the boat whilst you get the trailer. #I have just started compiling some pictures of ramps to identify which are the best ramps for solo boaties. #eg the Southern public Manly ramp is very good; the Redland Bay ramp, althought it is well protected, does not have good beach areas beside it and so it is not so good. #

Likewise, Victoria Point is very exposed and can be very tricky for a lone boatie if the winds are not kind.

JasonT
11-09-2006, 11:22 AM
I think it has been summed up pretty well, but to re-iterate.....

- Be prepared! Have everything Done before backing down the ramp.

- Be quick but above all be SAFE! All you should have to do at the ramp is undo the safety chain and winchrope (about 10secs all up!)

-Drag boat onto beach and secure if necessary!

-Park car, making sure to LOCK it! :-)

-Start motor and head out to fish!

It generally takes me no more than 3 mins to clear the ramp for another boatie to use and about the same come retrieve time.

I spend between 5 and 10 mins in the rigging zones before and after the trip to make sure everything is right to be towed.. (loose stuff secured etc)

My boat is a 3.75 Allycraft Cody with 18 tohatsu!
Easy as pie to launch and retrieve single handed!

Jason

Chimo
11-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Quigley and Charleville

I'm sure Blue Dog and I are unanimous in our selection of "Ramp Budies" and we would never give a 6 pack :o or even a single alcaholic ::) drink to an individual who was going to operate a vessel or a vehicle. :'(

We both apologise for any confusion that may have been caused, esp to Charlevile, :D ;)

The other big mistake in the earlier post was to neglect to utilize the fabulous store of " :) s that are provided as useful teaching aids.

Thankyou and continue to have a good day although it is a little cold and windy with the odd patch of wetness on the 8-) sunny Gold Coast.

Cheers

Chimo

davez104
11-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Launching is the easiest part, gravity does all the work for you. Retrieving can be a bit harder on your own, worse if there is a bit of wind or current working against you. I don't have too many dramas though. I've worked out how much cable to have pulled off the winch and how far to have the trailer backed in to the water so I can pull the boat up on to the first rollers and connect the winch cable. The cable then holds the boat on those rollers while I get to the winch and start winding her up. Boat is a 5.2 metre Haines.

Dave.

Chimo
11-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Hi davez 104 and others ::)

Re your method which I used to use also but having been caught by wind and especially wind, current and passing boat wakes I made a couple of changes to the system that seems to make it work even better.

Perhaps you might consider this too.

What I do when retrieving a 2 tonne or so Vagabond by myself.

I pull up on the sand, as everone is suggesting, but I try and get to the up current and / or up current and up wind side of the ramp.

When the trailer is in position on the ramp with the cable extended, as you suggested, push the boat straight out into the current / wind and then adjust your speed of retrieve by pulling the "long" bow line ( as suggested by an earlier post) to ensure the bow reaches the last trailer roller and the boat is in line to be hauled out.

The challenge was always to quickly get the boat started up the rollers while it was straight before it blew or was washed off line.

That problem has now been overcome using the "missing step".

Ie Pull the boat in with the long bow line and as you can now do this from up near the winch post, pass the bow line over the hook; you attached to the winch post earlier, and then while pulling thru the hook and keeping the bow of the boat tight against the roller move to the boat bow so so you can attach the winch cable hook.

Reverse the process, holding the bow line tight till you are at the winch and wind the winch ensuring you only let go of the bow line when the winch line is tight and has begun th retrieve the boat.

Works a treat for me, maybe it will help you too when doing the solo thing.

Cheers

Chimo

charleville
11-09-2006, 03:34 PM
the Redland Bay ramp, althought it is well protected, does not have good beach areas beside it and so it is not so good.

See Redland Bay boat ramp below...

whiteman
11-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Off the trailer stick the nose of the boat on the ramp (I luv tin) while you park the car. You can lift it a fair way so it won't be washed away by the tide. Same on reverse. Most single handers are twice as quick as the weekend warriers so don't worry about a bit of ramp rage.

I've got a 5.5m cuddy so I reverse mine back into the ramp, cut/tilt the motor and hop off onto the concrete. If anyone says anything I act deaf (which I am almost).

quigley595
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Folks,
you are all just fantastic!!! Thanks so much for your help. Although I dont lack confidence, my post was to ensure I had the general idea right before I fronted at the ramp (within the week I hope if the weather here on the SunnyCoast fines up again).
the ramps near me are usually chockers, but i think I will be able to get out on a weekday when it is more quiet.

thanks again... champions all!

regards
mike

jimbo59
11-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Wobble the car/trailer whil'st reversing,use two or more lanes with your vehicles,get out scratch your nuts, look at the sun for 2 minutes tell the growing crowd behind you to get stuffed after all your OLD.

Start car drive slowly up the ramp, stall it a few times,drive into 2 bays sideways.

Wander down to the packed ramp stubbie in hand,slip over on green moss,swearing loudly jump into boat drive off at great speed and rock all the boats on the ramp.

When you come back in drive infront of every -one else and show them your 5 undersize whiting.Get car, hog ramp, fall over cursing beattie for not cleaning the ramp.
Drive off be sure to drop a big doughy,you dont want to stall it now. ;)

familyman
11-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Dont be convinced to get retriever mates or similar (spring loaded roller guides )as I believe the spring are too heavy for tin boats .I have a glass 4.8 m half cab which I use by myself mostly.I put vertical guides, like ski boat trailers but much shorter,on my trailer then mounted a rubber roller on top to guide boat into the trailer .It also give you a leverage point to pull the nose into the trailer.Once you get a bit more experience you can pull the winch cable out then set the ratchet so you can pull against it to help push the stern around .Just watch and learn at the ramp,both what to do and dont do.Good luck.
cheers jon

quigley595
13-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Jimbo....

How long have you been stalking me and watching me at the ramp??? lol ;D

Wobble the car/trailer whil'st reversing,use two or more lanes with your vehicles,get out scratch your nuts, look at the sun for 2 minutes tell the growing crowd behind you to get stuffed after all your OLD.

Start car drive slowly up the ramp, stall it a few times,drive into 2 bays sideways.

Wander down to the packed ramp stubbie in hand,slip over on green moss,swearing loudly jump into boat drive off at great speed and rock all the boats on the ramp.

When you come back in drive infront of every -one else and show them your 5 undersize whiting.Get car, hog ramp, fall over cursing beattie for not cleaning the ramp.
Drive off be sure to drop a big doughy,you dont want to stall it now. ;)

seatime
13-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi davez 104 and others #::)

The challenge was always to quickly get the boat started up the rollers while it was straight before it blew or was washed off line. #

That problem has now been overcome using the "missing step". #

Ie Pull the boat in with the long bow line and as you can now do this from up near the winch post, pass the bow line over the hook; you attached to the winch post earlier, and then while pulling thru the hook and keeping the bow of the boat tight against the roller move to the boat bow so so you can attach the winch cable hook. #

Reverse the process, holding the bow line tight till you are at the winch and wind the winch #ensuring you only let go of the bow line when the winch line is tight and has begun th retrieve the boat.

Works a treat for me, maybe it will help you too when doing the solo thing.

Cheers

Chimo

Good advise with the bow line Chimo, if there isn't a hook on the winch post the bow line can also be 'turned' on the post itself, if needed.

Another method is to have a line from a stern cleat run to the bow, to hold onto if there is wind and/or current problems.
Run it on the windward or current side, keep it in-hand with the bow line, with some practice you can control the drift of the boat quite effectively.

regards
Steve.

rick_k
14-09-2006, 11:27 PM
have seen a couple of trailers with a length of rope from the front of the frame tied off, with length to spare, on the back rail of the trailer. Part way along the rope is a rubber ring from the old clay sewer pipes, tied into the rope in two places. That is, rope goes to one side of ring. A loop of rope dangles to where it is tied to other side of ring, and then rope goes to back of trailer. I suppose a rubber band made of innner tube would do.

I figured somehow they were using the stretch in the sewer ring (I know that doesn't read well) to make sure the boat was pulled into the back rollers by the rope, before taking up the slack on the winch rope.

Would love to see one in action.

If there is a strong cross wind, and there is no one around to help, according to theory you can tie a weight to the up wind back corner of the boat on a few metres of rope. That is, chuck the weight/anchor out a few metres, tie to the upwind stern corner to hold the boat straight. Winch away, retreive weight/anchor and away you go. I have never had to do that with my 4.3 m tinny.

Last of all, a couple of wobble rollers right down the back centre line of the trailer can help centre and straighten a tinny for winching on.

Rick K

charleville
14-09-2006, 11:42 PM
That sounds pretty good, rick_k.

I used to use an electric winch for my 4.75m Quinnie until I did something stupid and stripped the gears in it. I must get around to fixing that some day.

I have learnt to live without the electric winch simply by pulling firmly on the bow rope (let's call it by its proper name - the "painter") as I walk back from having hooked up the winch rope to the manual winch to start winding. Something a bit springy would make it easier, I think.

In relation to the electric winch, they are very noisy and to be honest, unless you have a power socket hard-wired into the car's battery and available at the rear of the car, they are a bit of a pain if you need to hook them up to the car battery every time that you want to winch the boat up. I have found that as I got more experience with the boat that it is far quicker simply to keep some pressure on the painter and to wind up the winch pretty swiftly by hand.

Nonetheless, if you are hit by solid cross-winds, the electric winch operated by a lanyard from the rear of the trailer as you steady the boat is pretty effective.