PDA

View Full Version : hornet pics

fingers
16-06-2006, 01:23 PM
just got a mount made up for my 4m hornet trophy really happy its removable but I leave it on most of the time as it doesn't interfere with anchoring.I 'm interested in seeing other pics of ,members hornet set up its good to get different tips and ideas on fitouts hope pics work cheers fingers

sid_fishes
16-06-2006, 06:19 PM
fingers , i must be dumb, but whats the mount for???

lippa
16-06-2006, 07:10 PM
leccy outboard? ;)

sid_fishes
16-06-2006, 07:53 PM
dammit i am!!!!

JT
17-06-2006, 10:38 AM
G'day Fingers,

Just finished the reno on my 400 Hornet Trophy, here are some pics of layout.

Cheers

John

JT
17-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Livewell

JT
17-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Quick release bracket

JT
17-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Tray Storage

JT
17-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Battery Locations

ynotaj
17-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Nice work guys I just sat down ready to ask for some help mounting a leccy when I saw this post. I have a motorguide to play with over the weekend to see if I like it and maybe buy it.

I have a 4.35m hornet trophy and from your pics JT looks like I have to cut out some of the bow railing as well, regardless of what I end up with, minnkota or motoreguide. I like the idea of the quick release plate, is it just screwed on or bolted, if bolted meaning you have to take out the anchor well to get access.

Looks like the minnkota sits higher than the motorguide I am looking at, I have the mount sitting on a piece of 100mm timber to raise it over the anchor roller just to get an idea of how and where it could sit, and it appears that it may have to be at this height anyway as the cables coming out of the head restricts it from going lower and if I turn the head sideways it hits the rail.

JT I like the look of the live tank, without being smart it looks simple enough to do, I didn't think of putting one there, how many litres wide and long did you go. I have my rods placed in the same place as you but what I would like is a lockable rod cupboard.

fingers did the welding hurt the paint work, from your pic it looks ok. That's a serious bracket mate you could tow a battle ship with that lol.

ynotaj
17-06-2006, 02:30 PM
As you can see from this shot the head can't go much lower because of the steer cable, they are quite stiff and not sure if you can damage them by bending them to tight.

JT
17-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey ynotaj,

You do lose a little of the port bow rail, I just cut mine off, doesn't look neat but does the job.

The quick release plate is bolted to the gunnel and the other plate is bolted to the bottom of the Minn Kota. They just slide together and are kept that way with a retaining bolt and a padlock.

The livewell is 100lt total volume and has 80lt water capacity to the drains and overflows. It measures 1000 long x 300 wide x 330 high.

Pretty sure I have seen the Motorguides mounted directly onto the gunnels of most boats, but they didn't have the anchor roller. If you do cut the bow rail you can change the angle of the electric and should be able to mount it on the gunnel. Have a look through some other sites or ask for some pics to be posted of other Hornet / Motorguide owners.

Cheers

John

ynotaj
17-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks JT have you had any issues with the minnkota, the auto pilot or electrics failing.

Thanks mate, looks like you fish some comps, judging from your pics

cheers
tony

JT
18-06-2006, 05:50 PM
The Minn Kota has been back for warranty repair twice. First time it would only turn left and work on high speed only. Second time (picked it up on Friday just gone) the auto pilot would do 360's every couple of minutes. Don't let these thing put you off, I prefer the Minn over the Motorguide. The auto pilot feature is fantastic for the type of fishing I do (tossing plastics for bream, jacks & flathead mainly). With the cable steer you need to be in cintact with the foot pedal all the time, try changing direction with cable while negotiating Broadwater chop. But each to their own, many of my mates prefer the response speed of the cable steer style.

BLA were absolutly fantastic with their service & repair, can't fault them.

Cheers

John

fingers
18-06-2006, 10:08 PM
nice job jt thanks for the pics I have put one more photo of my switch box location an tacho and hour meter set into gunnel,which could be postioned abit better for veiwing when driving offset somehow maybe and the switch panel is not that conveniet but I don't use it that often still I might move it.I keep the two sides free for horizontal rod storage so looking so its abit tricky to find the right setup anymore hornet owners out there keep the pics coming

whykickacatalong
18-06-2006, 10:28 PM
As you can see from this shot the head can't go much lower because of the steer cable, they are quite stiff and not sure if you can damage them by bending them to tight.

I have not used the motorguides but can you lift the motorguide up into the travel position (like in the pic) but have it turned so that the prop is facing to the left and the cables go up? This would allow you to mount it onto the gunnel i am guessing. Actually, relooking at the pic, is it normal for the head not to face the same way as the prop? I would have expected it to be inline so you know which way the prop is ponting. this would also run the cable flat with the boat when travelling.

Just re read your post and read that you can turn it sideways but it hits the rail. May be the best option to have a plate welded on the side so you can mount it at a better angle and not loose the rail/front roller?

ynotaj
19-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi Alistair I remember seeing a picture of your stacer but can't remember if you have an electric, if you have one I guess it is a minnkota, if so what size and model is it and have you had any problems with it.

I'm still not sure if I want to buy this motorguide, I don't want to make changes to my boat now if I'm not happy with it then go and buy a minnkota and not be able to use the same mounting holes as the motorguide.

Be nice if there was a mounting plate that fitted both the motorguide and the minnkota. The motorguide is a fair price at $350 but I have to let the owner know very soon if I am going to take it.

cheers
tony

ynotaj
15-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Just some more mods to my 435 hornet, I have fitted a home made quick release bracket for a motorguide electric.

I used about inch thick plactic chopping board stuff. First of all I made one out of wood to see if it was going to work and to get the shape right before I cut up the good stuff, I then made a couple of jigs so I could use my router to cut out the raised parts of gunnel shape, this also helps stop any sideways movement when mounted.

I cut the smaller internal shape using a jigsaw, this was cut from the end of the board, I then traced that shape onto the main board and cut it out so the two would be a snug fit, you need to buy a longer piece of board to do this but if you just cut the middle out of the main board you would loose the thickness of the jigsaw blade and the two pieces would move about to much, I then drilled through both pieces of board and fitted the stainless steel rods which lock it all together.

I had to remove the anchor rope guide to get the motorguide to sit parralell to the rails but I think it fits realy well. I have had about seven trips on the water with it and there is no real movement in the bracket at all it seems fine. I take the motor off when traveling and it only takes about 10 secs, just pull the rods out and thats it. The good thing about it is when the motor is off you only have a small piece of plastic board with on sharp corners or edges.

I think I got ripped off with the board though, when I first asked about the price it was $60, when I picked it up it was $90, they told me the board was $70 and $20 for frieght, the two rods were $2 the bolts about $5 so all up it was just under $100. I think you can buy a commercialy made one for about $150 plus frieght, so I'm still happy and I can say (I made it my way, thanks Frank)

Oh and last pic is my new furuno LS4100

cheers
Tony

ynotaj
15-09-2006, 03:14 PM
second

ynotaj
15-09-2006, 03:31 PM
third

ynotaj
15-09-2006, 03:41 PM
last one, got to learn how to stitch pic together.

hussy
15-09-2006, 04:29 PM
love what you have done with it , makes me wish i hadn,t sold mine.

hubby