PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Winch installation

epoc
14-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi All,
I just got my hands on a Maxwell HRC 8 Anchor winch which from all my research, seems to be one of the better winches around. Anyways, now I got to install the bugger. Initially, self installation. After a few wines and REALLY looking at the wiring diagram (which I gotta say, could be better), decided maybe pro installation would be more the GO. Quick couple of phone calls later, got onto a mobile marine electrician who quoted me a whopping $850!!!! :o :o

I told him I didn't want him to service my 200HP outboard as well. Just install the winch. Geez, I only paid a couple hundy more than that for the actual winch itself!! :) :)

So I guess my questions are, does this sound right?? If not, can anyone PLEASE suggest a good mobile marine electrician that may be more realistic with his price?? Boat is a Rudy's.

Cheers
Epoc

finga64
14-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Mate, sent you a PM.
Is your boat 12 or 24 Volt??

Grand_Marlin
14-09-2006, 06:19 PM
G'day Epoc,

I do this as well.

Keep in mind it is the best part of a days labour = $480

Cables are expensive - 1 or 2 B & S Size will set you back $15 - $20 a metre.

Add terminals and some heatshrink and trigger wire for the solenoid and it will certainly be up around the $700 mark.

If you do need a hand, feel free to ask.

Cheers

Pete

Homer_Jay
14-09-2006, 07:29 PM
How can you tell if you can fit an anchor winch on your boat?

From what i have seen they have to be mounted on the anchor hatch. Is this right?
My anchoer hatch doesnt seem anywhere near strong enough to put up with the strain of a winch. I have read on other sites about needing a deep well too. How deep does it need to be?
Anchor winches seem tl me like a great idea to make life easier especially when boating alone, but not many peaople seem to have them juding by the lack of response when they have been mentioned on here. They do seem expensive for what they are compared with what the same money will buy you for a 4WD winch. Would be good to see some photos of some installations.

ovakil
14-09-2006, 07:32 PM
I've got a Muir winch,I installed myself,wasn't that hard.But I did make some thick ally brackets to support the hatch to boat & also cut hatch in half so I could still access anchor well.The last thing you want is to see the whinch disappear overboard.

Grand_Marlin
14-09-2006, 08:14 PM
G'day Homer ... every boat and winch is different.

In all honesty, give or take a bit, they are better suited to bigger boats, 7m plus.

But if they go over a hatch, then yes, the hatch has to be reinforced with 19mm ply and a couple more layers of glass... and preferably screwed shut so as it cant be torn off the boat when the anchor gets stuck.

Th edepth needed depends on the shape as well as the depth of the well - the problem is, as the winch strips the rope, it coild it up - or with chain it piles it up like a pyramid ... then jams the winch.

most winches state that u need 150mm clearance under the rope pile .... so therefore a well 500mm deep or more is good

I am also installing another one at the moment in a Stacer 5.6 ... they are a drum type winch made for smaller boats.
They were displayed at the boat shoe - made in south australia.

They look like a big motorised deck winch.

Cheers
Pete

Homer_Jay
14-09-2006, 08:31 PM
GM,

My boat is an old haines V19C. The well is not very deep at all. It is long and wide but not deep. So i guess it wouldnt work. The one your fitting at the moment (like a big deck winch) does it work like that too where it wraps the rope around a drum rather than dropping it into the well? If so wouldnt that look pretty ordinary stuck on the from of the boat?
Could you post a pic of it once you have finished it?

epoc
14-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Finga, replied to your PM. Boat is 12V.

Thanks for the info GM. At least I know they weren't out to rip me.

Cheers ovakil, I will be reinforcing my hatch and also actually screwing it down to the deck. And a nice BIG new bow roller for just safetys sake.

Regards
E

Grand_Marlin
15-09-2006, 06:33 AM
G'day Homer,

The rope does wind onto the drum.

The drum mounts in the anchor well, so it is out of sight.

Cheers

Pete

Homer_Jay
15-09-2006, 12:19 PM
how big is the winch (drum) How much room in the well do you need?

I dont like the idea of having to take the hatch off incase you took a wave over the bow you would end up with quite a bit of water (weight) in the well just at the wrong time.

ribbit
15-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Guys they are called stress free winches
www.################.com.au
They are great and I am wanting to put on on my boat but having trouble convincing myself that $1799 for unit is better than pulling up anchor...
I have 2 mates with them and they swear by them. Good thing is you use existing rope and chain and it can be normal heavy chain not short link light stuff.
Peter