PDA

View Full Version : Haines 600R advice

Rod_Fishing
15-09-2006, 02:00 PM
:) I am thinking of buying one second hand, doesnt come with engine!

Could someone please give me some advice on how they ride, and what is the best size engine to have pushing her.

I have also heard that the floor has a tendancy to stuff up.

Please help me.

leezor
15-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I had a 600r a few years back and found it excellent! Mine had a 200 Merc mounted on a custom fibreglass pod. Went like the clappers and rode as good if not better than my current Southwind SF20. Did many 90 mile round reef trips in that boat, ahh the memories.

Even though it would do 45knts with the 200hp, always felt that it could have had a tad more HP. I saw one lately with a 225hp 4 stroke yammy which looked the goods.

Just before I bought mine it had all the stringers, transom and floor replaced so I would definately get these areas checked.

All in all one of Haines Hunters better hulls IMO.

Cheers,

Lee

Rod_Fishing
15-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I thought that might quite a few horses to push her but I wasnt aware that that I would need that many, even buying a second hand donk will be very expensive. As you said f I do seriously consider buying her I will have to get the stringrs and floor cheked.

Thanks Leezor for the advice more is better so if anyone else can shed some more light please add.

SO70
15-09-2006, 08:07 PM
i own one.
what exactly do you want to know.

Braddles
15-09-2006, 09:18 PM
rode as good if not better than my current Southwind SF20
Cheers,

Lee

Wash your mouth out with soap Lee # #;) *jokes*

The Southwind is my dream boat for bay fishing - awesome ride and nice looking too!

Your a lucky man... unfortunatley I dont think I can bring myself to spend those $ on a (Southwind / Southern star) or any nice new boat really while I have a mortgage...

*keep saving*

Regards,

Brad.

leezor
15-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey Brad,

Keep saving mate, can pick them up reasonably priced these days - It's keeping fuel up to the big 2 strokes that hurts the most. :(
Would like repower mine with a 225hp Suzuki, but that would cost as much as the boat!

Will have to keep on saving, or maybe take out another mortgage...