PDA

View Full Version : KILL TANK DRAINAGE

SunnyCoastMark
18-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Hey Guys,
Just after some advice from those of you who have Kill tanks underfloor in their boats. I am installing one in my 4.5m Quinnie

How do yours drain out?

Do you just have a bung that allows the bloody, messy water to drain through the hull and out the back? - If so - does your boat have a permanent fishy aroma?

Or do you have a pipe/hose going to a bung outlet on the transom?

Pros and Cons?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any input. :)

Mark

SunnyCoastMark
19-09-2006, 10:49 AM
bump :)

Roughasguts
19-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Mate I have my drain hose going to a T peice, that T peice is attached 8 inchess up from my bilge pump.
Between the T peice and the bilge I have a non return valve to stop the stink water filling the bilge. (18 bucks)

Then I converted a cheap bilge pump in to an inline pump, by removing the strainer and replacing with a PVA glue bottle, the 1 litre one from Go Low seal that and clamp the top 3 inches including the screw lid opening. This acts as a resevoir for priming, and an attachment for the bait tank stink water. (20 Bucks for pump)

Then the out let for the stink water Pump goes to the T peice.
This way I can use the same outlet for the bilge and bait tank.

It works 98% you just need to have a bung inside the stink water tank, or ball valve, to stop the bilge pump flooding the bait tank, when you ever need to drain your bilge.

I throw a few buckets of water in me bilge anyway to run me pump and flush the remining stink water out the Drain any way.

T peices, and elbows go to the garden irrigation section at Kmart for the cheapest prices.

Never liked the idea of draining me bait tank, and esky on me carpet just to block the bilge pump and stink up me boat.

Any_Weather
19-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Mark, I have an underfloor kill tank that drains out the back of the boat. I built the tank and installed it and it has a bung plug at both ends, that being in the tank and on the outer of the boat. This way I can either bung it off outside if there is a drama with the tank or leave the outer open and plug it inside and use it as a flooded kill tank. I generally leave the plug in when at rest with water in and open it to travel which empties the tank and refreshes when I stop. If I forget to put the plug in at rest it is not an issue as it only fills to water level but it does splash out with the roll of swell but very little escapes. It is by far the best bit of gear on the boat as it saves blood going everywhere and keeps the fish fresh between drifts when they are transferred to the esky.

Good luck with yours
Lee

dnej
19-09-2006, 12:55 PM
A couple of weeks ago, this same project came up,and a lot of ideas we put forward with pics.
Suggest you do a bit of a search.If you cant find it,let me know.
David

dnej
19-09-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1155901256

Found the page for you
Regards David

SunnyCoastMark
19-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys - good ideas.

I was leaning toward your idea Lee, but just thought I'd see if there were any other ideas I hadn't considered.
My Kill tank will be under my casting deck at the front of the boat and as such it is higher than the water level tho.

Roughasguts has a good way of cleaning it out as well.

I'll check out that project link - thanks heaps David

Cheers,
Mark