PDA

View Full Version : new boat

Mullet_Musketeer
19-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Fishing once a week is not enough and so I try and sneak in a few early mornings every now and then. Usually off the bank at Pinkenba, Boggy Creek or Nudgee Beach. So this morning I was down at the bridge across Boggy Creek by around 4.00am and I could see plenty of surface action and bait fish.

I hooked up with a tiny cod after about twenty mins and then another ten mins later - he was bigger around 35cm but I put him back to fight another day.

Just to give you some background - I was using the Pumpkinseed 3 " Minnow Grub on a 1/8th 1/0 jighead - about two metres of 8lb leader and 4lb fireline. I have a Gary Howard Samurai 1-3 kg 6 ft 6 rod.

At about 4.45 am I switched to the up current side of the bridge and let the plastic just run down with the incoming tide - only really moving it to stop it snagging - after about five retrieves bang - a hook up with what feels like a monster flattie - but then after a short run I tighten the drag a little but the reel just starts spinning again and I can see the dust / smoke coming off the fireline. Now I learned from my Tuna bust up a few weeks ago that you need a good amount of line so this time I had the full 125 yards of Fireline on. Whatever it was was clearly big and strong and I was not going to be able to haul it up the rocks. Luckily I brought the landing net - unluckily it was twenty yards away under the bridge past the oyster covered rocks and snags.

So I decided I needed to really wear this fish out and then tow him to the net and so I loosened the drag a bit and kept up a steady pressure until a huge silver shape appeared in the water and then took off again. This went on for what seemed ages - but was probably only ten minutes or so. By now the heart is pumping and I am desperate to get over to that net but I know that if he still has the power he is going to dive down and get snagged under the bridge - so I persist a little longer and then start the slow walk towards the net. I drop the net down low and scoop him up and almost leap back up the bank.

Well there is no mistaking him this time it is a Mulloway - 85 cm and weighs in at 11.7 lbs :o. I can't believe my luck and I am extremely impressed by my gear. What a fish ;D

Mullet_Musketeer
19-09-2006, 08:31 PM
In the esky

chrisfish
19-09-2006, 08:35 PM
that's a great fish. Beats my day by a long shot.

Archer
19-09-2006, 08:35 PM
WOW nice fish mate especially on 4lb gear. Great work you will remember that capture for many years to come! :o ;)

Mullet_Musketeer
19-09-2006, 08:36 PM
With the tape measure - maybe I should have it mounted ;D

gunnabuild1
19-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Ripper fish.Great start to the day!

BR65
19-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Awesome fish on the light gear, and land based to boot.

Well done on a great capture MM.
You deserve it for getting up at sparrows fart mid week for a fish.

TO THE VICTOR GO THE SPOILS

NeilD
19-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Thats a great fish for a landbased effort and light gear to boot. Amazing what will chew on a bit of plastic

Cheers

Neil

imnotoriginal
19-09-2006, 08:58 PM
That's not something you see every day out of the river. Congrats mate.
Joel

Big_Ren
19-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Awesome mate. A report full of suspense.

Cheers and well done.
Paul

RobGoesFish
19-09-2006, 09:28 PM
NICE ONE!!!

Great_White
19-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Nothing wrong with that :o :o :o

Top catch on light gear :) :) :)

Yep a bigger esky is a good investment ;) ;) ;)

Peter :D

charleville
19-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Yep a bigger esky is a good investment #;) ;) ;)

Maybe that is the trick. I have noticed that I am catching bigger fish this year since I bought a bigger esky last summer. Maybe I should buy an even bigger one this year. ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, Mullet Muskateer, that is a great fish. Well done!!! :)

Congratulations! ;)

straddy77
19-09-2006, 10:29 PM
yeah nice catch mate, bet u werent expecting a nice jew out of boggy creek

slymo
19-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Nice one. I wish my day started out like that. ;)

Slime

flickflack
19-09-2006, 11:05 PM
top catch mate, considering that you were landbased makes it exceptional!!!

Regards Rod

richieboy
20-09-2006, 03:04 AM
Great effort mate and a top read to boot. On that lb line it's a great catch. Very keen if you are up that early but rightly rewarded. Nice pics MM.

Rich ;)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-09-2006, 06:45 AM
beautiful fish and a magnificant effort on 4lb gear

at the rate your mulloway are increasing I'd be suggesting a refridgerated truck rather than a bigger esky ;D

great report

Smailesy
20-09-2006, 07:01 AM
great fish

fishingbarry
20-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Light gear ,big fish, nice job, there is nothing better.
Cheers
Barry

Jeremy
20-09-2006, 08:13 AM
top catch on light gear landbased [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I reckon you might have a bit of company there for the next few weeks!!! You might be better off giving a general location without being too specific in future.

Jeremy

Braddles
20-09-2006, 08:21 AM
awesome effort...

Just one Q. Where is this Boggy Creek??

snapperm8
20-09-2006, 08:28 AM
nice fish .... but i think u need to invest in a larger esky ;D ;D

Slider
20-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Very impressive fish MM and a good read. I have it on good authority that there have been quite a number of 3kg tailor taken in Boggy Creek of late as well. Just goes to show doesn't it - fish are where you find them.
Well done.

Lindsay

gregdeeth
20-09-2006, 09:09 AM
top land based effort

mickstar001
20-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Nice work mullet musketeer well done - beautiful!

mickstar001
20-09-2006, 09:15 AM
I meant umm a beautiful job ;)

not_drowning_wavin
20-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Very nice fish indeed........might have to duck down there myself early one morning before work ;D

StevenM
20-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Top effort MM

Excellent way to start the day

cheers

Steven

Murks
20-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Nice report Mullet....ur land based fishing reports have been excellent. ;).do you own a boat??? :-/ the way i see it and since I have been reading ur reports you don't need a boat :) :)
Great fish, great report, great effort great everything...well done and I hope u have many more successful reports
Brett

Craigus
20-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Great catch on the light gear and Land based. :o :o :o
Awesome effort and fish. #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Cheers
Craig #[smiley=beer.gif]

T1
20-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Yes, Well Done!

I have a mate who fishes Boggy regularly for some great fish! Not sure if i'd eat anything from there though...

Take Care T

snapattack
20-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Excellent work and land based to boot.

Awesome

Snap

Pitsta
20-09-2006, 04:25 PM
I've a good mind too sell the boat & fish the bank.....
Great fish !!!

MARK ;)

Dirty
20-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Hey there Mullet Musketeer! :D

Hats off to you my man! Champion effort, awesome read, dam fine catch...actually one fish I really hope to target. Eating fish out of the river.... did it taste any good?

Really I'm so stoked you pulled such a trophy fish in off the banks @ boggy... sound like they hang out there a bit going by your previous reports!

Tip-top effort! (I would have taken it to the taxidermist....then again... I don't eat fish! ;D)

Have a good one!

Keep me posted on further fishing adventures.

George. 8-)

Braddles
20-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Try again.... can anyone tell me where Boggy Creek is??

Thanks,

Brad.

marty+jojo
20-09-2006, 06:13 PM
it is a small creek near the mouth of the brisbane river, on the airport side, check the ubd.

Just_chips
20-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Hey Brad I see you have a report in about fishing the Brisbane river the other night maybe you should have a look at a map of the area you are fishing. ;) It is on your left hand side as you head out of the river, you know the one with the long section of rock wall running out into the middle of nowhere.

Cheers Kev

young_mind
20-09-2006, 08:48 PM
:o What a ripper !great catch on a light rod. >:( you got what I want ;D :-[ where is boggy creek :-/

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
20-09-2006, 09:09 PM
A terrific catch and sincere congats. What is all this talk about ' for landbased', as if something like that jewie shouldn't be a part of landbased fishing. I have many fishing friends, who have caught more beautiful jewies from the shore than their counterparts in boats! Landbased or not, the skill is with the man, not necessarily the need to have something floating underneath him.

Good on you mate, top catch and great report.

Cheers
Dave

Steve_Monckton
21-09-2006, 09:28 AM
The jew are a beautiful looking fish, a bit similiar to Barra with the chromey look. Great capture, well done. And anyone that says S.P.'s don't work should take up golf. cheers,steve.

MidgieFood
21-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Good catch.
I am impressed as well.
I think I know the bridge you were on.
Is it the one with the camera?

Braddles
21-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey Brad I see you have a report in about fishing the Brisbane river the other night maybe you should have a look at a map #of the area you are fishing. #;) It is on your left hand side as you head out of the river, you know the one with the long section of rock wall running out into the middle of nowhere.

Cheers Kev

Kev;

I do have marine charts and a beacon to beacon on the boat thanks mate, including the BNE river, but know my way out of the river so never had the need to study that section with the tributaries flowing in / out. I was confused as the only boggy creek I knew of was on the North Coast...

Thanks anyway guys

Brad.

Mullet_Musketeer
22-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all the compliments - it was great fun to catch. The fish was filleted and devoured by the family that night - tasted pretty good and no one has been ill yet or started growing extra limbs. The bridge is a footbridge across to Bulwer Island Refinery - I think it is an emergency exit or something. There is a camera - maybe I should ask if they filmed the capture ;)

Black_Rat
22-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Saw one of the photos on Nuggets segment tonight on Chanel 10 ! #;)

You've got bragging rights now !! #;D

"See my Jewie on chanel 10 news... hey .... hey......" ;D