PDA

View Full Version : Little boat in big Moreton Bay

Genomic
19-09-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm new to the world of boating, so firstly apologies in advance for the number of inane and naive posts I will no doubt be posting in the future.

I have just bought a 3.6m stessl HD tinnie (not sure of the model; the beam width of their older 3.6m boats is 1.5m and mine is 1.4m, and they don't make 3.6m HD tinnies anymore) with a 15hp 2-stroke tohatsu.

Anyhow, I've taken it out in Logan River a couple of times and, from my limited knowledge seems a great little boat. However, when I'm a little more experienced I'd like to take it out from Cleveland Point, and other 'smooth water' and 'partially smooth water' areas in Moreton Bay and elsewhere. Can my little boat handle more open waters like this, or should I just stick to rivers and very protected estuaries (if so, I'll start saving up for a bigger boar immediately ;))

On that topic, what is the minimum recommended size (and type?) of tinnie for safe usage in the more open areas in Moreton Bay in a fairly wide range of conditions?

Blackened
19-09-2006, 10:00 AM
G'day
Ok.... In my opinion a 3.6 is really only for rivers, creeks and maybe even the pumistone passage. Although the passage can get rather nasty.

You do have a good thing there with a 15 on the back. For waters like off of clevelenad and over to peel, I dare say a 3.6 is to small. You'd be more suited to around coochie.

I have a 3.7 with a 9.9. It's only a tinny but I have spent quite a few years in this boat out on the bay and have no worries taking that from manly to moreton and the likes, like I have done many times before.

It gets to the knowledge of skipper, skill, confidence and type of vessel.

Honestly, the smallest tinny i'd be comfortable in the bay with if i was looking to upgrade would be about a 4.5M HD one. Something with at least 3mm bottom and 2mm sides.

Others would have no doubt different views about this, but hey... thats why we are human.

At the end of the day, figure out how far and wide you want to travel, for what reasons and understand the kinds of water you are likely to encounter. Then match a hull to those expectations.

Dave

Genomic
19-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Thank you blackened, that was very helpful. Do you think the Gold Coast broadwater would be suitable?

marlinqld
19-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Welcome aboard Genomic.

mate, i have sent you an email, feel free to ring me anytime.

As Blackened said, go slow, work the areas you want, and as your experience and confidence grows, then you can expand your horizons and go further.

Cheers

Mike

Blackened
19-09-2006, 10:15 AM
G'day
Mate, the broadwater should be fine. Just watch out for the bigger planing and displacement boats (say 30' plus) They put out a wake bigger and steeper than the surf on some days. I'd even consider installation of a bilge pump if you were going to put some lights onboard and a sounder. You just never know when you need one of those things :)
Dave

finga64
19-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Gidday Genomic :)
Welcome to the site matey!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
I have a similar boat with similar power and was only really used to bigger boats.
Started in the creeks, ventured to the rivers, then tackled the Pin (A little scary at first because stupid me went on a public holiday) and now venture all around the Pin area and loving every minute :)

Going to venture around Viccy Pt, Cleveland and Wello to see what happens. But I'll only go on reall nice days ;)

marlinqld
19-09-2006, 10:41 AM
make sure you say hello finga, i am a local wello/cleveland boy.

let me know when you come to our area, might be able to tag along or throw you in my boat one day for a trip out.

cheers

mike

Blackened
19-09-2006, 10:56 AM
G'day
I'm a wello regular too!!!. Should get a little convoy going........
Dave

marlinqld
19-09-2006, 10:57 AM
give us a ring one day blackened, sent you a PM with my mobile number.

mike

Jeremy
19-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Genomic,

being new to boating, you will want to take things one step at a time and build on that as your confidence grows. There is alot to learn as you go. I have an old HD Stessl tiny (4.3 m) myself.

How far you will ultimately be able to go will depend on the freeboard and your skill and experience. I would say that Peel will be no probs for you on a good day once you have some more experience.

But you may as well start saving for a bigger boat now if you want to regularly get out into the open parts of Moreton Bay.

Jeremy

Jeremy
19-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Actually, I am curious about your name "Genomic" also. I am a scientist and work in genetics and molecular biology. Anything to do with that?

Jeremy

Genomic
19-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Sound advice, Jeremy. I think I'll do that: start in the creeks and work my way up to sheltered parts of Moreton bay as my confidence grows. And save for a bigger boat.

On the 'Genomic' moniker - I'm studying my BSc with a focus on genetics, and more recently, marine science. Last year I was awarded (out of the blue) a DPI honours grant to do a project studying the mangal (mangrove communities) in Bulimba Creek. Marine ecology wasn't my initial field of choice, but my interest has grown substantially since commencing. Hence my new interest in boats!

PinHead
19-09-2006, 12:39 PM
look out you wello point locals...I am gunna have a crack at that place soon...could be a scary prospect.

marlinqld
19-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Redland Shire announces closures of Moreton bay will go ahead as follows...................

Anyone with an ausfish moniker of pinhead cant fish the redland shire reaches of the bay LOL..... ;) ;) ;D :o ::) :P :P ;D ;) ;)

PinHead
19-09-2006, 04:47 PM
LOL MM..will just have to sneak in under cover of darkness

Foolish_Chicken
19-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the world of boating, fishing. How small is too small??? :D :D (owner of the craft wanted to remain anon.) It was an interesting evening.
See you on the water.

Mike

Jeremy
20-09-2006, 07:22 AM
bit hard to tell for sure, but that photo looks like the powerboat club to me. That is about 3 km from the bar. They would not have rowed to the bar and crossed it? I see nothing wrong with that boat in the sheltered waters of Pumicestone Passage.

Jeremy

charleville
20-09-2006, 08:08 AM
when I'm a little more experienced I'd like to take it out from Cleveland Point, and other 'smooth water' and 'partially smooth water' areas in Moreton Bay and elsewhere.

Mate - I agree with all the advice given above. I go out in a 4.75m Quintrex runabout and it is very safe even when I have been caught out in bad conditions but I am left a little speechless at the size (especially the freeboard or lack thereof) of some of the little boats that I see out there.

Trust me, in anything above 15 - 20knots, there ain't nuthin' "partially smooth" about Moreton Bay! :(