PDA

View Full Version : Slow fuel filling a pain in the neck!

Fast_Freddie
20-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Guys,
I have a 195 Allison (older boat). Not had it long.
Fuelling it up is a royal pain because I have to trickle the fuel in or it just blows-back.
The breather seems to be clear and working.
Any suggestions?

Fred

madmix
20-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Hi Fred.

Know how you feel with the dreaded blow back,
don't know if your rig has 1 or 2 breathers, sometimes
one blocked or even part kinked breather hose is enough.

Got a face full once too often, and now where ever
possible I only fill rig from Jerry Cans and a large funnell.

cheers mate

flotsom
21-09-2006, 12:31 AM
couple of ideas, the filler pipe would be deck mounted, the hose then needs to go down and then sometimes on another angle to get to the tank, fuel can hit the 90 degree elbow and splash back, re-routing the filler pipe for a more direct angle will solve, may seem hard but all is possible. in alot of new boats they are designed to be filled from the floor so this will never be a problem. 2nd idea is to as above, check fuel vent and make sure it is clear.

marlinqld
21-09-2006, 05:28 AM
my filler is in the gunnel. goes down and into tank.

It has 2 breather hoses, both run down length and out on the transom.

Have never had a problem with blow back, tank is 110 ltires

Mike

Fast_Freddie
21-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks Guys,
I give the breather hose a real good clean - maybe increase the size of if possible.

Thanks again - much apreciated.

Fred

Argle
21-09-2006, 09:44 AM
I have similar issues with my boat, what i have found works is to
a) use a servo with a downhill slope to fill at and point the nose of the boat downwards so the fuel runs into the tank downhill (does that make sense?)
b) unhitch the trailer and get the nose down as far as possible then fill up.

Other than that I cant think of anything else that hasnt already been mentioned.

Cheers and beers
Scott

seatime
21-09-2006, 10:31 AM
There's a 15m charter cat that has to be filled with 20 x 20lt jerry cans each side, every time. Too many bends in the filler pipes, too big a job to fix!

regards

PADDLES
21-09-2006, 10:33 AM
have same problem with my 550 signature. the filler is in the motor well and goes straight down into a 90deg elbow into the end of a 150 litre tank. if the filler was in the top of the tank it'd probably be ok. air is flowing freely out of the breather too, so it's not blocked. i reckon what doesn't help is described by argle, when the boat is hooked up to the car it slopes backwards slightly and makes it heaps slower to fill at the servo. :(

SeaHunt
21-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Not all servo pumps are the same, some need very little back pressure to cut off, some need a lot.
Sometimes I have your problem and have to trickle it in, but pulling the nozzle half way out usually helps.
But usually it does not cut out at all and I end up with petrol pissing out of both breathers and onto the driveway. :-[

MrWong
21-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I have similar issues with my boat, what i have found works is to
a) use a servo with a downhill slope to fill at and point the nose of the boat downwards so the fuel runs into the tank downhill (does that make sense?)

I have a 5.3 Poly and I have the same go slow filling (poly's have a long slender tank and it takes ages to get the 130 litres inbound)

The above is exactly what i do ...... problem solved :)

Cheers
Norm

Cheech
21-09-2006, 01:01 PM
I had/have the same problem. Is better now because I moved the filler, and in the process have changed the angle. Was going straight down to a sharp 90 degree bend but now has a bigger curve. I used a flexible fuel hose connection that I bought from Whitworths to bridge teh new gap. Still have to go slow, but way better than what it was.

Perhaps cutting out that first elbow and replacing it with a slower curve could work for you as well.

Cheech

PADDLES
21-09-2006, 01:27 PM
no hills in beachmere mr wong, she's flat here ;D