PDA

View Full Version : permatrims

creeks4me
09-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Hi everyone I have a 4.5 topender quintrex wondering if anybody has a permatrim fitted to there boats and are they any good thank u

creeks4me
09-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Doesn't have to be a quintrex just want some info on the permatrim and do they slow the boat down?

Pirate_Pete_Tas
09-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Go to http://www.polyboatowners.com/forum/ the guys over ther have lots of permatrims on their 4.55s

Argle
10-09-2006, 12:06 PM
A mate has one fitted to a 6.5m Lightning plate boat with a 200hpdi on it and slow is not somethng I would call it ;D :o He is very happy with the performance after fitting the permatrim.

Cheers and beers
Scott

chris_stanley
10-09-2006, 12:19 PM
I had one on an old 4.5m fibreglass cuddy with a 70hp merc. Used to have alot of trouble getting it out of the hole and also maintaining a steady speed in chop (always off and on throttle). Soon as i bolted it on it was amazing the difference. It answered all of the above and improved fuel consumption. I think they are a good thing especially for the $150.

litenup
10-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Why do you need it? If boat under powered and having diffuculty getting on plane, then they are OK. I had one on glass boat and it rolled violently when it came off top of wave. Scared the crap out of me, so took it off, no more violent rolling. I've had them on tinniies and helped get on plane quicker, lost a little speed at top end. Cheers Pete.

whiteman
11-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Brilliant devices. Got a Quinnie 5.3 and it gets on the plain real quick and stays there at low speeds. Also keeps the boat level at trolling speeds. Best thing I've purchased, besides the boat.

SeaHunt
11-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Why do you need it? If boat under powered and having diffuculty getting on plane, then they are OK. I had one on glass boat and it rolled violently when it came off top of wave. Scared the crap out of me, so took it off, no more violent rolling. I've had them on tinniies and helped get on plane quicker, lost a little speed at top end. Cheers Pete.

Are you talking foils in general here or the actual Permatrim brand one.

The plastic ones that can flex can be downright dangerous, never heard of anyone having handling trouble with the Permatrims.

litenup
12-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Permatrim look-a-like. Cheers Pete

bigblue
23-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Permatrims work great ;)

aussiebasser
23-09-2006, 10:25 PM
I've been using one on my Hornet with 50 4st for a coupe of years. Wouldn't be without it!! If it affects your top speed, you motor must be mounted too low, or trimmed incorrectly. My Permatrim is more than an inch clear of the water at full noise.

Joe_N
24-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Had my permatrim for a few years now, and like aussiebasser I wouldnt be without it. Gets on the plane quick enough for me and stays on at lower speed.

The_Walrus
24-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Have had one on my pointy punt for 4 years, would'nt be without it.

Never had problems in any sea condition.

Luc