PDA

View Full Version : boat trailer what size wheels

grey_inflatable
24-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Hi all i've got the funds at last to put bigger tyres on trailer. i have 3 old cruiser tyres which are nice and big which i think will be great for beach work but i'm worried the trailer will be too high and hard to winch the ducky up off the beach. will it also become bouncy or dodgey to drive at high way speeds. will i need a bigger axle to handle the weight of the tyres?

i also have a mazda tyre like a stansard car tyre, will this do in the way of being high enough for the sandy tracks or is it going to be a sand anchor as well?

P.S i plan on welding up or at least tring to weld a bigger mud guards
thanks all

grey_inflatable
24-09-2006, 04:49 PM
pic 2

Homer_Jay
24-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Mate, I would just use the car size tyres in my opinion. Its mot like your boat is heavy. Even if it did drag the axle abit it wouldnt be too much of a drama. But in saying that there is no substite for size when it comes to floatation on the beach. And the other thing is if you are towing with a cruiser then you wont need to carry another spare for the boat with the cruiser wheels.

ahoj
24-09-2006, 06:43 PM
for your inflatable your current tyres and wheels are big enough save some money 15 footers f/glass have the same wheels 10"and its easy to unload

Ahoj

mini696
25-09-2006, 12:02 PM
I see your problem... You trailer has capsised!!

I would keep with the current setup. With the larfer tyres you will have to do major modifications to fix the ride height, clearance, and up the strength of axles.

How close is the trailers track to matching your car? The simplest thing you could do is widen the trailers track width to match the car.

murf
25-09-2006, 03:12 PM
if you use the Mazda tyre 13" or 14"??? you may be able to undersling the axle to get clearance off the mud guards without having to re-do the guards
definately not the cruiser tyres as the Mazda ones will lift the trailer up heaps and make it harder to put the boat back on.
if you do put larger tyres on check that the boat goes on and off properly before wasting time doing guards
have fun
Murf

grey_inflatable
25-09-2006, 04:50 PM
thanks guys i think i will go with the mazda tyre . i guess the job will bea lot easier, but anythingwill be better than the shitty one on there now , had a tough time on the inland tracks at moreton last year. heading up in a month camping at yellow patch.(reefs nice and close from there)