PDA

View Full Version : Bungs

longtail
03-09-2006, 10:32 AM
G'day ,

Just a question , do bungs 'wear out' ? :-?

reason for asking is i have a small leak somewhere , i have resealled around the bait tank pickup with sikaflex but have been told that my bungs might be worn out and need replacing.

i was unaware that bungs did this can anyone confirm :-[

boat is only just over 12 months old

if i smear vasoline on the thread of the bungs before screwing them in will that help the seal??

thanks in advance

Jason.

Rogues
03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Dont think a bung will last long enough to wear out mate... ;)
but you can have problems.......its more a case of the seal on the bung being damaged......sometimes you can get grit (sand/whatever) on the seal or caught in the actual thread which will damage the bung seal. :(
Personally, for that reason (although it seems a good idea) I wouldnt be whackin' vaseline on the bung or the bunghole.. ;D ;) ya no woddi mean.
Could be worth checking around the bung component itself........you may have to take the whole thing out, clean it up and reinput with the use od abundant sikaflex :)
Cheers, Rogues

snapperm8
03-09-2006, 04:26 PM
haha nice 1 rogues yer i would say if it is a bung with an o-ring or seal around it check that it might be split ;)

mitch_05
03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
good question and i would be keen to hear the answers as well

emuparkpete
03-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Get yourself some snorkels and a nice bay, this check showed bubbles coming from engine bolts and lower bung. Quick re seal with silicon did it .
Cheers, Pete ;)

mylestom
03-09-2006, 06:51 PM
With my sons boat, problem wasn't the bung but the actual mounting of the bung into boat and leaking around the installation.

Fill the boat with water and see where it leaks, possibly help.

First remove all the gear would also help. ;D ;D
Trev

timddo
03-09-2006, 07:05 PM
i was told by a dealer not to overtighten the bugs.

Brejen
03-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Oh no Darryl, Jas is talking bung holes and vasso, arent you two going to Harvey bay together next weekend for a week. :o

I think maybe Jas is concerned that your bungs may be worn out already... ;D ;D ;D.

JAs make sure that the o ring seals are in good shape mate.

Brett

Darryl
03-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Never you mind about my bung hole queerboy. ;D ;D

PinHead
03-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Is it really true?? Darryl and Jason together at Hervey Bay for a week ?

The place will never be the same.

longtail
03-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Greg , yeah that's right mate :D 5 days till we leave 8-)
used to live there so still got some old marks ;) :-X

Brett , wotya trying to say mate ?? [smiley=cowboy.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

Darryl , we'll be right mate . don't worry about him , he's just sore he's not coming too ;) :D

Jason.

gawby
03-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Darryl,
You are a better man tham me, vas and b/holes ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I would be rethinking a trip with jas. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Graeme ;)

Darryl
03-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Yeah i'm thinking the rodeo with Brett on the weekend might be safer Gawb. Although last time i went with Brett he tried to get me on a bull called slab of death or something like that. ;D ;D ;D

I think i will take my chances with Jasons Bunghole. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dirtysanchez
04-09-2006, 12:24 PM
:-[ OMIGOD !!

Enough innuendo please - and no jokes about In your end-o

Buy some new bungs mate, cheap enough, the washers do wear out, happend to my tinny too. Or you can as mentioed put some water into the boat with the bungs in and check for leaks around the area, and the rest of the boat.

Mind you, a little water in the bottom of the hull isn't a huge thing.. up to you really :D

Russ

longtail
05-09-2006, 04:06 PM
I've had a good look at my bungs , but can't see any signs of wear on the o-rings :-? have spoken to allycraft rep at the show , he said he would send me some new bungs if i sent him the old ones :o he can't explain it , bungs are only 1year old :-?

have also resealled around the bungholes in the hull.

Gawby - Mate i think those late nights in the truck are doing you no good ;) ;) :D

Brett - you got a camera mobile? i'll be sending you some pics during the week ;) 8-)

cheers
Jason.

spargs
06-09-2006, 11:10 AM
ANother way to check where water is leaking in/out of a boat is with compressed air. As we know, some boats will be able leak heaps of water when the boat has huge amounts of water pressure pushing on it, but when you fill it with water, the hole disappears due to that lack of pressure.

So...

Insert all of your bungs instead one. The other bung, drill a hole through the centre of it and tap a thread to suit an air fitting. Tighten all bungs, connect a compressor to the air fittings and CAREFULLY increase the pressure in the subfloor. When there is an increased air pressure, stop the comp and get a spray bottle mixed with water and detergent. Spray around the underside of the hull. Wherever there is bubbles being produced, there is a leak!!

Easy, but you must be careful with not over pressurising.

gawby
24-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Jason,
How did you go with your bung hole problem ;D
Whats the verdict, do you need to see a boat doctor or what. ;D ;D
Graeme ;)

Darryl
24-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Went out with Jas and the boat was taking a bit of water, turns out when i pulled it up on my trailer she has a split in the hull. About 6 inchs long all up.

mini696
25-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Its not the thread of the bung which seals the hole, so the only wear you'll get (that worries you) is on the washer, and the seating.

Also check the connection of the female part to the hull.

griz066
25-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I had one that was the wrong thread it seemed to screw in tight but it was getting tight before it sealed got new bung with correct thread and all is ok 8-)
Might be worth a look ;)

finding_time
25-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Dont put vasoline ( petrolium jelly)on bung seals or any rubber seals it will perish the rubber very quickly use a silicone grease instead! ;)

Ian

I would put the bungs in when the boat is on the trailer and partially fill the bilge with water( not to much) and look to see where the water drips from. :)