PDA

View Full Version : cheapest spare wheel for boat trailer

Rainbowrunner
11-09-2006, 09:57 AM
live on the north side of brissy, and am off to awoonga for a couple of weeks in oct, have not yet got a spare wheel for the boat trailer, was wondering where the cheapest place to get one would be?

finga64
11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
any specifics in size, stud pattern etc etc.

mylestom
11-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Reckon just for spare you local car wrecker would be reasonable price.

You can get them in various marine shops and catalogues, but you will pay for it.

Check your tyre and rim size and model and give the local wrecker a ring.

A spare shouldnt cost you more than twenty or thirty dollars. Its not that you want a new tyre. Just one that legal and will get you out of trouble.

The other option is that can stuff for reinflating flat tyre, but have heard that it can stuff up your tyre. Am sure that someone will have better ideas.

Trev

whykickacatalong
11-09-2006, 10:10 AM
If it is a decent sized wheel and tyre (13/14 inch) and either ford or holden stud then whip around through a few wreckers and find a car which does not have a full set and make an offer (they dont normally like to split up a set). Otherwise a new steel rim and second hand tyre will set you back around $100.

2iar
11-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Nugget put me on to Active Fabrications at Beenlieigh when I asked the same question last year. I realise they're not Northside, but if you've got the time, they saved me a bit on the other quotes I had...

Good luck,
Mike

fishingrod
11-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Yes .....new is expesive.

I just got a new 13" spare for my trailer.
White powder coated alloy, with new steel belted tyre.
Expect to pay $160-180 retail (in Sydney)

Or like the others said, look around at the wreckers ... heaps cheaper

jim_likes_2_fish
11-09-2006, 03:30 PM
You can always track down the maker of the trailer. This is what I did so for a brand new wheel and tyre that matchs the ones I have already was $130.00 (13") bracket to hold it onto the trailer was another $40. The boat shop when I purchased the boat told me it would be close to $300.00 for the wheel and bracket, I just laughed and told them I would track down my own at a later date.

Rainbowrunner
12-09-2006, 12:54 AM
5 stud 13 inch standard wheel for a redco trailer, are these a standard holden pattern and can i put standard 14inch straight on?
The wreckers would have something to suit ay? just to get out of trouble.
the spare will stay in the car.
cheers

finga64
12-09-2006, 05:50 AM
You'll have to measure the stud centre Rainbowrunner. Most of the 13" were early holden and some were HQ Holden and some were Ford stud pattern. Just measure the centre distance between every 3rd stud ie nearly diag. opposite studs.(gees I wish I could do graphics like others to explain this better :'()
The wreckers may have something. No harm in trying but they'll want to know what stud pattern as well.
Just remember early Holden pattern are different to HQ Pattern and they're all different to Commodore pattern and they'll different to Ford pattern. Very confusing.

novice23
12-09-2006, 11:36 AM
I went to the wreckers on ipswich road near Oxley. New rim old tyre - fifty bucks.

novice23
12-09-2006, 11:38 AM
I still reckon its piss poor that you don't get a spare tyre with your new boat. And then the kicker - you buy a boat that can carry 5 people and get a safety gear pack for 4. Like selling a car without the 5th seat belt.

rick_k
14-09-2006, 11:49 PM
take the trailer to the wrecker and see what they have.

Awonga is a few hours from Brissie and a long way on a dodgy spare. Especially if the poor old boat is being used as a box trailer.

Some trailer component places sell reasonable quality new cheap bits. There used to be on at Albion.

charleville
15-09-2006, 12:06 AM
I still reckon its piss poor that you don't get a spare tyre with your new boat. #And then the kicker - you buy a boat that can carry 5 people and get a safety gear pack for 4. #Like selling a car without the 5th seat belt.

I agree but that is why you need to know exactly what you want when you buy a boat and specify it to all dealers who you may be getting a quote from.

I was pretty sour on a dealer who I was ready to sign with when I said, "OK mate, I am a newbie at boating. Treat me like a mate and tell what extras would you recommend that I add to this boat." I was in buying mode, ready to sign. He suggested hydraulic steering which I had already specified but did not think about a spare wheel. That was enough for him to lose the deal because I just assumed that would be included until another dealer (Springwood Marine) suggested that I ask the earlier dealer if such was included. I too was horrified to think about having a flat on maybe the Jacob's Well road at 2am and not have a spare.

I got a new quote with a spare wheel and the deal eventually went to Springwood Marine, mostly because they threw in a $150 extra as a last minute sweetener but also because I felt that they had my best interest as a boatie at heart. Five years later and having had all of my boat's servicing done by them, I continue to trust their advice to me.

vapour_trail
15-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Like ziar said Active Fabrications ar Beenleigh.

cheers mickey.

Rainbowrunner
26-09-2006, 07:30 PM
ended up with a brand new holden torana rim $45 and a 2nd hand tyre $25 from dog tyred kallangur, thanks guys,

Rainbowrunner
26-09-2006, 07:34 PM
oh and $175 for the replacement wheel exactly the same was the cheapest.

Black_Rat
26-09-2006, 07:59 PM
A replacement wheel is a must.

I had a 4.2m tinnie for two years without a spare and before a trip to Yamba/Ilukka from Brissie I decided to buy a spare. Was down there for a week or so and on the trip home blew a tyre on the H'way before the NSW boarder #:( Tyre replaced and on my way.

Which remindes me, I need to buy a spare 13 inch tyre for the Dunbier trailer !! # ::) :)

Damo.