PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Aluminium Boat

keen_angler
24-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi All,

Just wanted some advise, I went out on the water last week and noticed that water was getting in under the floor. :'(

What is the best way to find where the leak is???

Does anyone know a good place in Brisbane for me to take the boat and have it looked at and fixed, this is the first time something like this has happened to me and I don't know where to start.

I would like to thank you in advance for any information you can provide. :)

Thanks.

ryank
24-09-2006, 09:38 AM
put the bungs in the boat and fill it with water then get under the boat and see where it comes out thats the easiest way.

Homer_Jay
24-09-2006, 11:57 AM
It could just be the sealing washer around the bung. I would check that first and make sure you had the bung screwed in tight. Check the mounting of the bung to the boat itself, might just need to be taken off cleaned up and resealed.
Check all the simple things first before taking it to some one.

Darryl
24-09-2006, 01:34 PM
What Ryank said is what i wold do first to see where she is leaking from.

Poseidon
24-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Check anything that penetrates the transom, bungs, livewell pickup, drains, outboard mounts etc, to ensure that the sealant used around these penetrations is still sound.

Try the suggestions above rather than taking it to someone who will only perform the same type of checks.

Regards Cameron.

mylestom
24-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Another option.
Use torch of a night time in boat and have someone under to check light. Sometimes will show up a small crack better than the water fill test.

Trev

mini696
25-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Another option.
Use torch of a night time in boat and have someone under to check light. Sometimes will show up a small crack better than the water fill test.

Trev

I suggest this. Worked for me because filling your boat may not work, and also puts stress on it in completely the wrong ways.

I found pinholes that werent even leaking at the time, but the aluminium was so thin the torch shon through.

Getout
25-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I bet that you will find a hairline crack in one of the keel welds near the bow or perhaps where it rests on the trailer. An experienced welder can grind it out and reweld it in no time

Geoff_Atkinson
25-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Spend six months in it, write a song about it and make sh!tloads of money.

darkside
26-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Sea raider , your so funny , but only if he is a kiwi like Tem Fennn and his brother

keen_angler
26-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all your feedback guys, I tried the torch trick and I found the problem.

The rivet holding the moulding for the bung to the boat was hollow.

Just replaced the rivet and will find out Saturday when I go back out on the water if that was the only problem (fingers crossed).

Again thanks for all you help :)