foggy
26-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Another

foggy
26-09-2006, 03:21 PM
last one

fishingjew
26-09-2006, 03:47 PM
On average boats, it is best to mount the engine so the cavitation plate is approximately 1" below the bottom of the keel, or 1" below the bottom of boats without keel.

Chimo
26-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Whats the boat doing?

Chimo

blaze
26-09-2006, 05:05 PM
bit hard to tell from the pics, my guess is yes. IMO an outboard should be mount at a height that minimises cavitation on turns and has the least amount of drag.
As the water is displaced by the hull of the boat it rises out the rear, at about 300mm rearward of the hull it will rise about 25mm.
If I was to set a motor up on an unknown hull I would put a straight edge on the bottom of the hull and set it to level, then test. My aim would be to get it as high as possible to reduce drag and spray.
I think it is quite normal to get a small amount of cavitation on sharp turns when the motor is trimmed to a good run position, to rectify, just trim in a little on sharp turns.
hope this helps
cheers
blaze

finding_time
26-09-2006, 05:19 PM
When the mechanic looked at mine he said i should have it up higher to about where yours is now but when i tried that it just sucked to much air and cavitated to badly so mines about an inch lower than yours. But if yours isn't cavitating i would leave it. I'm sure Garry ( spaniard king) will help though ;)

Ian

another pic with it trimmed right in would help though graham

Spaniard_King
26-09-2006, 05:29 PM
It Don't look to bad to me Foggy :-/, what do you want to change...

Garry

mbpr
26-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Its funny i was about to ask the same question about my boat. The boat is a 600 explorer with a 175 yammy. The Cav plate is about 65mm above the bottom of the boat. The reason i ask is when 4 people were sitting down the back of the boat the other day it was very hard to plane. Any more comments would be great cheers

foggy
26-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Boat does not do anything wrong other then a small amount of cavitation in sloppy seas. Trimming down a little stops this. I just thought it looked a bit high compared to a few other I have seen. The other thing is that I have read in other posts to trim up until the steering gets lighter, but mine doesn't. Its about the same right through the trim range. It only gets lighter when I trim up a little too far and I start to get cavitation.

Foggy

Spaniard_King
26-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Fix the steering problem and leave the engine where it is..

If you drop the engine you will loose performance and increase fuel consumption. I cant quite see but what condition is the propellor?

Garry

foggy
26-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Gary,

The prop is in good nick. I don't know what pitch it is but it seems to be doing the job OK. Nothing stamped on it anywhere. I don't know what the steering problem could be. It is as light as a feather when not moving but becomes stiffer the faster the boat is travelling.

Foggy

Spaniard_King
26-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Foggy have you played with the trim tab under neath the cav plate, this may lighten up your steering

cheers

Garry