PDA

View Full Version : Newbie information

Genomic
26-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Being new to boating, I was wondering if there are any good websites that give basic tips, hints, dos and don'ts etc of boating. I have seen a few books that look good, but most were overpriced ($70 or so for some pretty thin and basic-looking tomes). There are so many pearls of wisdom that people pick up from other boaties, and learn from hard experience, it makes me think at least a few must have transcribed these to the web. For example, the guy that sold me my tinnie told me to unhook the power cable from the trailer before backing the boat into the water, or the brake light bulbs can blow. Surely there must be an online 'boating for dummies' resource out there somewhere.

blaze
26-09-2006, 07:41 PM
you have just found the best source of info on the web, all these guy/girls are a friendly bunch and will answer your questions. Best bet is to ask singular questions, take from the answers what best suits your needs. You can save any info you think is worthy, just cut and paste to a word doc and over time you will have saved a wealth of knowledge.

Trailer lights
been boating for years and have never unpluged a set of mounted lights
L.E.D lights are best (get what you pay for)
some sealed lights work better than others bit once water gets in them there is no need to worry about globes as the contacts will fail first.
Some people use light boards and remover the whole light board before launching.
cheers
blaze

stevedemon
26-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi genomic
mate it helps if we no where your from S/E qld you have Beacon to Beacon or the Qld transport tidal book both have pleny of boating info
as for your question what Blaze stated if they do blow then you need to look at your sealing around lens and wiring setup but as blaze has stated we are a friendly bunch and will help any way we can we even have guys here with good knowledge on motors, electrical wiring 12v, Fibreglassing, Alloys the knowledge is there all you need to do is ask the questions then pick what you need from there

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)