PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Will Not Work When In Gear...

Jeff_In_Crestmead
26-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Hiya All

I took my boat out today at Jacobs Well to give her a little test before I take the family camping up at Jumpinpin over the next few days and I discovered I had a big problem.

I have a Force (yeah, I know lol) 50 and it fires up fine, but when I try to engage forward or reverse, the engine just stops. It will fire up again but I have had no luck engaging either gear.

I have replaced the spark plugs and checked everything and to my untrained eye, it all seems fine. I haven't had any problems before with this engine so it seems out of place.

One thing to mention, the trip before last I did change my own impeller - could I have stuffed something up?

Any help would be appreciated, as I now in the hot box with the family with maybe cancelling the trip. My kennel is not that big!!

Jeff

Spaniard_King
26-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Jeff,

sounds like the engine is running lean or is low on compression.

Garry

Dignity
26-09-2006, 08:02 PM
ditto - time for a tune up

finga64
26-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Could be gearbox troubles too. :-/
Does it sounds as though it dies like it's running out of fuel or does it just stop sudden as soon as a gear is engaged??

Jeff_In_Crestmead
26-09-2006, 10:03 PM
It just stops - sudden like

Jeff

fishingjew
26-09-2006, 10:31 PM
had the same thing happen to me outside 115 merc every time i started it put it in gear she stopped had to hold choke open then slam into gear to get home turned out to be the stator $900 for a new one?

Homer_Jay
27-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Colud it be something jambed up in the drive shaft or gearbox?
Soulnds like the drivelive is not turning freely.

Oscarelli
27-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Jeff
Have had the same problem, Turned out to be about half a handline spool of mono wrapped around the prop shaft. Cleared it and all OK

Black_Jack
27-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Could it be an earthing problem..... all good when out a gear....when linkages are move to put it into gear it earths it out and the motor stops