PDA

View Full Version : Running in a 4 stroke

Daan1
27-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Well I nearly have my new boat (see Almost got my new boat post). I know all good things come to he who waits! Which brings me to running in a 4 stroke motor. I have had several different versions of what to do. From never idle for too long to vary the revs but nothing over 3000 for the first etc
What have been your experiences?

Spaniard_King
27-09-2006, 10:06 AM
First hour

no long idle periods ie 4 mins
run engine up to 3/4 speed can use full throttle to get to 3/4 speed.
I like to do a few accelerations in the first hour to help bed rings in from idle accelerating up to 3/4 speed
Do not remain on any particular speed for more than 5 mins.

After first hour up to 10 hours

Keep idling to less than 5 mins
Run engine up to full throttle staying at full throttle for no more than a couple of mins
Vary engine speed every 10 #mins keeping the majority of time under %80 throttle.

After 10 hours go for it #;)

Garry

Geoff_Atkinson
27-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Or get an E-tec and use it straight out of the box!!

Spaniard_King
27-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Or get an E-tec and use it straight out of the box!!

What are you saying sea raider They come flogged already ;D ;D ;D ;D

;).

Don't you think it would be nice to be eased into life rather than thrust into it ;)

cheersz

Garry

Geoff_Atkinson
27-09-2006, 05:07 PM
G'day Garry,

Mine wasnt flogged straight out of the box, but Evinrude claim that they can be! ::) ::) ::)

The motor definitely doesnt have a running in period but.

I used mine for two tanks of oil with the motor set for the XD50 oil (using the XD100), then had the motor reset for the XD100 and then started flogging it. ;) ;) ;)

I bet there are a lot out there that havnt done that but.

Like anything, an outboard will look after you how you look after it, doesnt matter if its got Evinrude, Honda, Mercury, Suzuki (maybe not Suzuki [smiley=helpa.gif] ) or Yamaha written on the side.[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Cheers

Geoff

Cruize
27-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Do I realy have to do that? I just ordered a new yamaha 60 4stroke bu noone said anything about running it in!

Spaniard_King
27-09-2006, 08:54 PM
nah mate... just drive it lke ya stole it :o ;D ;D ;D

ya don't have to but it helps to

Garry

DazSamFishing
27-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Always refer to the users manual!

I spent a whole day running in my previous 4stroke! What a bore!

I know what you mean... I get my new boat in the next month, and I am dreading breaking in the motor... especially on the brisbane river!

Daan1
28-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Keppel Bay is nice and glassy today. Hopefully it will be the same tomorrow. Running it in, stop for lunch at the island - couple of beers, snorkel and swim then back into it again. Much more fun than the Brisbane river.