PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Cats

seatime
26-09-2006, 07:19 AM
G'day Ausfishers

After some feedback on aluminium cats like the Marlin Broadbill or Sailfish or any others in the 6-7m range.

Looking for some first hand experience with any of these cats?

Which has better sea keeping abilities, stability, ride etc?

It will be used around Moreton Bay and Sth Passage bar.

How do they hold up if they get knocked around a bit?

many thanks
Steve.

Chimo
26-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Gooday Steve

Are you only going to look at Al in the 6 to 7 m size?

Cheers

Chimo

seatime
26-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Hi Chimo

Looking at around 6.5m with a pair of 115hp? outboards and trailerable.
It would be surveyed for commercial rego, and used in a search and rescue environment.
Researching at this stage, want something with twin OBs, more economical than a Kevlacat or similar, but still with cat performance.

regards
Steve.

Noelm
26-09-2006, 08:09 AM
I know a few people that have had both, and I have fished in them many times, I also know of one guy that had some trouble with his Sailfish, but there are others with the same model that did not have any dramas, so I guess he got a dodgey one or something huh! the Marlin broadbill with the "pod" things that stick out the front I think it is called a pelageon or something, do not SEEM to be that popular, but, they may go OK, never been in one of those

seatime
26-09-2006, 08:24 AM
I know a few people that have had both, and I have fished in them many times, I also know of one guy that had some trouble with his Sailfish, but there are others with the same model that did not have any dramas, so I guess he got a dodgey one or something huh! the Marlin broadbill with the "pod" things that stick out the front I think it is called a pelageon or something, do not SEEM to be that popular, but, they may go OK, never been in one of those

Noel, what sort of conclusions have you made on the different alloy cats you've been in?
any preference?
aside from build quality is there any nasty idiosyncrasies with a particular make or model?

the wave piercing bows on the Marlin look odd but may work in the chop ????, but maybe not essential.

regards

Noelm
26-09-2006, 08:55 AM
both boats were great, I think the Sailfish was setup a little more "fishy" but I guess it is how you order the little bits and pieces that make a good fishing boat, there is a sailfish working out of the Illawarra as a charter boat and it seems to be OK loaded with divers and gear, or fishers and all their stuff, I owned an Aluminium cat for over 10 years and had a lot of good times in it before I moved to glass.

crazboutfishin
26-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Bayshore boats in WA make nice cats. If you went to the BIBS (Brisbane International Boat Show) there was a big 7.something mtr one there in the Cunninghams marine stand. They are dealing through Cunninghams now so no big transportation costs.

Cheers
Crazy

btsah
26-09-2006, 12:58 PM
G'Day gelsec
Have you checked out or spoken to Paul Borger at NQ Borger Cats in Ingham their Cats date back a long way and I’m yet to hear a bad word about them form the many owners I’ve spoken to.
www.acecomp.com.au/nqborgercats

Cheers btsah

saurian
26-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Gelsec, i have a 6.4 borger, i picked up an inferior tone in reference to an ali cat to a kevlacat.???
You are quite right , they are different , but every boat is different.
basically my boat is 1 ton lighter than a fiberglass equivelant ,
thus less horsepower , less tojo towing it , ( i have a mazda)
less fuel versus speed , higher tunnel, more flexible to customize.
Weld a bit her weld a bit there .......etc......
They do not have curves , they can be left on a beach , with the tide going out , ali does not absorb water it only absorbs positive electrical ions.
There are lots of fors and against arguments.
But at the end of the day you have to way up which way the argument
suits you .
Personally , cats are sports cars of the sea , magic carpet ride is acheived with a hi tunnel not just outright speed.
Let her up and at them , will give you you a no bang ride .
Let me know when you work it out....

seatime
26-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi saurian

no no, not meant to be an inferior reference to Kevlacats, more about weight comparisons. We're looking at running costs and less HP to do the job. It's going to be a working boat not so much a fishing boat.
You're absolutely right about for's and against's with alloy/frp, and I'm not entertaining those arguments. Weight and lower HP are the primary concerns, it won't be my money spent on fuel or maintenance, but I will need to justify the expenses.
The Borger cat sounds interesting, I've not heard of them but will certainly investigate them now.

thanks again for the input
Steve.

saurian
26-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Gelsec , bayshore boats , badge their cats as abcats used to be sold through saltwater marine freo.. Nice hi tunnel.
Might want to check out architects/builders , johnothan kemp s.a , or fine entry marine w.a. Last 2 would suit commercial as an equal to borger.
good luck...

SECRET_AGENT
26-09-2006, 09:01 PM
gelsec

I don,t beleive that I am reading your thread right regarding your statement re power and weight of Kevlarcats

I have a 5.2 mtr Kevlarkat that is way overpowered with 2 X 90hp 2 stroke Yamaha,s

My mate has the same model as mine and his is powered by 2 X 70hp 4 stroke Yamaha,s and it performes great and is cheap as to run.

The same size boat in glass or alloy would need a minimum of 2 X 115hp to get the same performance, but the fuel bill would skyrocket.

My 5.2 weighs 1,900 kls including trailor, check out the weight of a same size boat in glass or alloy.

I unloaded a 2003 Haines Signature with a 115hp 4 stroke to get hold of my Kevlacat (1993 model) and I could not be happier.

SECRET_AGENT
26-09-2006, 09:13 PM
OK I know I spelt Kevlacat wrong, probibly because they are made out of Kevlar, that is why they are so light and extra strong.

Grand_Marlin
26-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Cairns Custom Craft make good aluminium cats, will build to survey as well.
Marcel Marjean is the owner, and a complete gentleman too.

There are a few 7m MArlin Broadbills with the wavepiercer bow for sale for around $90 grand at the moment.

Cheers

Pete

seatime
26-09-2006, 09:28 PM
gelsec

I don,t beleive that I am reading your thread right regarding your statement re power and weight of Kevlarcats

I have a 5.2 mtr Kevlarkat that is way overpowered with 2 X 90hp 2 stroke Yamaha,s

My mate has the same model as mine and his is powered by 2 X 70hp 4 stroke Yamaha,s and it performes great and is cheap as to run.

The same size boat #in glass or alloy would need a minimum of 2 X 115hp to get the same performance, but the fuel bill would skyrocket.

My 5.2 weighs 1,900 kls including trailor, check out the weight of a same size boat in glass or alloy.

I unloaded a #2003 Haines Signature with a 115hp 4 stroke to get hold of my Kevlacat (1993 model) #and I could not be happier.

point taken, I overplayed the weight diff, you're right it's not as much as I implied.

regards

reef_king
26-09-2006, 09:52 PM
i've been on a few cats and 2nd to the coastal cat i liked the sailfish's ride/performance over glass cats. Great work boats and easily powered, custimization is great, can be surveyed. Ride was great on a 7.5m sailfish went through the wide bay bar with 4m rollin breaking waves, had to hammer and weave through the clean parts to get over in time got fully airborne a few times and soft as when coming down. 2 major things i like about are great stability when turning full lock at speed(ride very flat compared to the glass cats)which makes a great boat for bar situations and great stability beam to a sea. Second reseaon i like is that easilly powered, the 7.5m one i went on had twin 150hp and did 39knots fully loaded with 6 people onboard was proped for instint exceleration with 17inch pitch 4 blade solas, could go 19 or more for better speed but not the exceleration. Definitly worth a look.

ty

Grand_Marlin
27-09-2006, 08:37 AM
I would agree with Reef King on the Sailfish.

I think they are way in front of Marlin Broadbill for finish and modern design.

When you stand in them - everything just seems to "work"

They are well designed.

I am going to have to expand my horizons ... in all the Cats I have been on, I have only ever been on a 4.3 and 5.2m Cairns Custom Craft alloy Cat. :-[

I would love to step into a 7m Sailfish and a 7m Marlin Broadbill one after the other to compare the difference on the water.

Cheers

Pete

btsah
27-09-2006, 06:24 PM
G'Day again Steve
There is a beaut 6.4m Borger Cat on boatpoint; just type in borger in the Keywords field and it will come up and the price is good too. Im looking to order a smaller model the 4.6 m open version.
www.boatpoint.com.au

Cheers btsah

Smithy
28-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Dunno about CCCs. #They might ride well but they are very wet. #Warren Steptoe had one as a centre console and had to build a little telephone box of clears to make it workable. #Have been out in Perko's 6.5m and 5.5m Sailfish cats. #They are great. #Would love to go out in a 2400 Kevlacat or big Dominator to compare with the big Sailfish but I have done a few hours in a 5.2 Kevlacat and it compares well with the 5.5. Would be good if Perko piped up with his opinion. He has owned in his family a 5.2 Kevla, 5.0m Sportsman Shark Cat, 5.5 or whatever Eagle Ray, 1800 Noosacat, 5.5m Sailfish and 6.5m Sailfish since I have known him. Before going cat they had Seafarers and Quinnies and stuff. His biggest opinion of the Sailfish cats over the Kevlas for instance is they don't dip their sponsons like the Kevlacats. It can be quite un-nerving the first few times it happens but you just have to go with it in a Kevla. Sailfish don't have this vice, they are point and shoot. There is a NQ Borger side console locally that goes very well. #It is the black/gold one on the web page. #Watched it the other weekend heading out and it was doing it easy. #It was being pushed by a single 140 Suzuki. #I think I will be throwing Borgers into the ring of possible contenders when I next get a boat.

trout3030
28-09-2006, 06:45 PM
I have owned a 5.5 sailfish for only a few months now. Powered by twin 70 Johnson 4 strokes it is a great medium sized boat. It may be a better boat with a little more horepower but I'm happy to have the economy and reliability of the 4 strokes. Anything more in 4 strokes would be too heavy in the back end for the boat. Have also been out in Perko's 6m Sailfish with twin 90 Hondas. It is a great boat for offshore overnighting.

finga64
28-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Send Mono a PM. He also has a beauty Sailfish and works it everyday (possible) :)

wetnwild11
28-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi Gelsec,
A lot of the water police boats around Sydney use to be Marlin Broadbills before the bow extensioins were put on. I have had a fair bit of experience with a 12metre Broadbill (about 3years) I know the bloke that made them. The earlier 5-7metre models seem to be the most popular. Good speed, stability and fuel economy. Have not heard of much going wrong with them.
Cheers
Eric