PDA

View Full Version : Tank Out

steveg1100
28-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Now that the tank is out of the cat thought I might start a new topic on getting the thing repaired. Has a small pinhole on the side about 100mm from the bottom of the tank. Was quoted $300 by a bloke over the phone to weld a patch over hole and pressure test tank.

Eagle
28-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi Steve
$300.00 is daylight robbery! To tig weld the pin hole wouldn't take more than 15 mins. To pressure test it only another 15 mins. to 30 mins. at the absolute most. And what pressure would the tank be tested to?
Find someone who is genuine and honest in his business dealings. The maximum that this should cost IMO is $50.00
The important point at this stage is to find out how thin the side plating is in the area of the hole. If the area requires a plate welded over it, it is essential to know how big a plate is required and how has the bloke figured out the relevent area? Why has the hole developed? Has the side been rubbing on a protrusion of fibre glass or similar? Is there any evidence of an external sourse of abrassion? $300.00 ?? No way!
:o :o ::)
Eagle

steveg1100
28-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Yes there was a small protrusion of fiberglass on the hull. The boat is a 1980 model so it took 25 years to develop the pinhole. You can see it in the following picture. I will try some other repairers the one in question quoted over the phone he did not see the tank.

blaze
28-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Hi Eagle
lets look at the fact we are welding a FUEL tank, not like welding a pinhole in a tinnie.
First the tank has to be made SAFE to weld . This can be done a few ways but I think you would find that a profesional workshop would do it in a way as to pose any danger to their staff. (takes time)
I had an alloy one welded and the chemical put in and mixed with water to nutralize the fuel vapour was $60 a litre
Done a far bit of welding over time (even welded fuel tanks in an eariler life) and I paid someone else to take the risk on my last one.
cheers
blaze

steveg1100
28-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Blaze

He told me that he would fill it with water before welding. I would think that a small plate would be welded over the hole but I could be wrong.

Black_Rat
28-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I'd be looking at replacing it #;) or both ?? 25 yrs old and unless you treat the whole tank that red cancer will cause you more problems in the future #:(

Eagle
28-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi Blaze
I welded a petrol tank from a car that had a hole in it about 2mm dia. I welded it with an OXY TORCH and a filler rod. I tossed 1/2 kg of dry ice into the tank and welded it. It was a complete success. The dry ice makes the job completely safe when used correctly. The advantage of dry ice, apart from the inert atmospher it creates, is that it also freezes any petrol /vapor and prevents the petrol from vaporizing. I saw a Formula 1 car have its fuel tank filler #pipe welded under racing conditions using dry ice and an oxy torch without incident. Obviously, safety is paramount #but it can be done without risk if the job is tackled properly from the start

Eagle

steveg1100
28-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Were would you purchase a new tank like it.

blaze
28-09-2006, 10:27 PM
problem I see with that is if there is no air space between the water and tank skin there will more than likely be porosity in the welds that would leak, my prefence would be to flush and clean tank and then fill with an inert gas so then the inside of the weld will look like the outside. In an earlier life I fabricate some food grade stainless items and thats how we did those to get a posished type finish inside. Also the inert Gas is non explosive.
cheers
blaze
ps
just be safe

steveg1100
28-09-2006, 10:31 PM
I think I will try to find someone else to do it. I am now worried about what was said by black rat about changing the whole tank.

Black_Rat
28-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Were would you purchase a new tank like it.

You can get a custom made Stainless Steel one to suit the mounts in the boat and pay for it. #:( #Or on the other hand you may buy an "Off the Shelf" Type and pay for modifications on the mounts. #:( #Apologies if this dosen't help but in the long term if you intend on keeping the boat it'll be worth it & unless somone has an alternative you'll probably have to fix it regardless.

Black_Rat
28-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I think I will try to find someone else to do it. I am now worried about what was said by black rat about changing the whole tank.

Sorry bloke however, we've all seen what rust can do #:( in cars and even worse in boats when you add salt #:'(

Stainless will rust #;) it just delays the inevitable ! #:o

Glenn_Woods
29-09-2006, 08:12 AM
I just had 3 major weld mods done on my 100 ltr s/s tank ( fuel suction/filler and breather) and the biggest cost was safeing the tank. But who can blame them, it's there safety. total cost including flush fuel cap $290. I think that was okay.
Woodsy. :)

steveg1100
29-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks for that info woodsy.

After black cat made me worried I might get a price on getting a new one made up and then decide whether to repair based on cost and the welders opinion. I have to pick up the tank from down the coast. Most people I have asked for pricing said they need to see the old tank to price making a new one.

SO70
29-09-2006, 09:01 PM
what size tank is that. it looks small??
i would get a new tank made out of aluminium.
i have a mate that makes fuel tanks and other stuff for boats.
he will not build a tank out of stainless.
stainless is prone to cracking easily
a well built aluminium tank is the way to go and will be cheaper.

steveg1100
30-09-2006, 06:46 AM
I have read somewhere that stainless welds are prone to cracking but the welds on the tank in question are fine after 26 years of boating. I reckon if it was installed in a better manner would still be going strong. When a tank is foamed in it cannot breath and moisture can get between the foam and the tank Condensation most probably (correct me if Im wrong).

Tank size is about 100 litres.

Chimo
30-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi steveg1100

Just to add my 2 bobs worth

I had a 250 l ss tank in my boat and although it was only about 7 yrs old because there was a minute amount of salt water against the tank it developed a pin hole.

As you can imagine I was not too happy when i found fuel in the bilges and attempted to get it fixed by welding up the tank.

To make a long story short, the boat manufacturer sent the tank back to the tank manufacturer who would only fix it under sufferance but would give no guarantee / warranty that other holes would not appear later.

Needless to say I gave up and bought a new tank which I got for cost and which the boat manufacturer installed for no cost.

Still over a grand but who of us is really in a position to risk the alternative which if you are lucky is another leak and if you are less lucky is a fire and if you really have peed somone off is a big bang!

In short, my suggestion is to replace the tank and improve your chances for a longer happier life!

Cheers Chimo

GOM........ but working at limiting the odds and enjoying yet another beautiiful day on the Gold Coast