PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance

cribby
02-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Guys

Been on your site now for about month and loving all the reading and pointers. Would anybody be able to give me some basic maintenance advice for looking after trailer/boat/motor. I am not mechanically minded so I want to look after my new boat.

Thanks
cribby

blaze
02-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Hi And welcome
You will get a lot of differnt views on this but
remove/wash all salt off car, boat and trailer. Flush motor for at least 5 minutes. Keep a check on nuts and bolts when walking around, if in doubt put a spanner on to check (they do come loose), dont over tighten. Lift the cover off your motor every few trips and spray with lanalon spray. Take the prop off every few months and grease the shaft. Any moving parts require some for of lubrication, steering etc. Fix small things before they become big things. Service (or have it serviced) at least every 12 months.
this is a start
cheers
blaze
ps
always walk around and check with eyes wide open.

stevedemon
03-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi cribby
as blaze has stated we all have different ways of doing thing but as blaze state all parts should be washed and lubricated
Steering on your motor you will find the steer rod keep this oiled with a gear box oil and moved motor side to side this will stop the grease in steering arm siezing up and also check and clean plugs every second trip this keeps the spark in good shape and stops the build up less chance of break downs

always flush motor with fresh water, if you have a tank, i always use Vinegar in my water this kill the corrosion an alway place coolant in the tank after first flush this places a pretective coating back on the inside of motor and i always run motor for 15 - 20 minutes running in flush tank keeps the motor in good condition and you can always keep a check on your tell tail and impeller

also not only use lanlon spray on motor but every few trips degrease your motor stops a build up of corrosion and shit on motor let dry and spray with lanlon

keep trailer wheels greased and every 3 months remove bearings and regrease this keep them in good condition and less likely to seize or brake down when travelling and always keep a spare set on hand you never no

as well as keeping every thing lubricated and tight make sure you have a tool box on board E.G plug spanners, Spanners, screw drivers
me i also carry spare plugs for the unknown and a volt meter and a can of W.D 40

check lists are also handy so as you do not forget any of your maintiance, gear or safety gear this should also be check regularly

cheers and welcome aboard and happy safe boating

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)