PDA

View Full Version : Anchors and Rope

Jimo
02-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Is there any formula or table for working out size of anchor and rope diameter for various sizes of boats? :o

kitty_cat
02-10-2006, 12:51 PM
WHAT BOAT HAVE YOU GOT

Pegasus_1
02-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Jimo

Go to the below site, it will give you the Qld Government regulations for rope. chain etc dependent on the size of boat and were you intend you use it.

Pegasus

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/ReferenceLookup/rec_safety_equipment.pdf/$file/rec_safety_equipment.pdf

Jimo
02-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Asking on behalf of a mate who is doing up an older 5.5mtr half cab. has no idea on what diameter rope to use on it or size/weight of anchor. The MSQ site only tells you what you need but not sizes. thanks

emuparkpete
03-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Mate, when I did my license in rocky the guy was an absolute boat freak and seemed to know what he was talking about. He explained that as a general rule of thumb , your chain should be at least the length of your boat to lay the anchor down at its best . I have about 3 mtrs of medium chain for my 5mtr glass half cab and at times in the ocean it is p!ssweak , so an upgrade is on the cards for me (among other things) hope that helps,
Pete.

marlinqld
03-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Seems i need more chain...nmeasured it the other day.....3.0mts on a 5.1mt ally centre console