PDA

View Full Version : mid-sized cat vs. Bertram 25

Kanga
01-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi, I’ve been reading all the posts here and I’m very impressed with everyone’s knowledge and how it is being shared. I’ve been looking at getting a boat for almost two years now… I’ve bought a mooring for a 35ft boat and I’m trying to decide whether to get a Bertram 25 or a cat. I’d be grateful to hear opinions for you fellas. The boat will kept on a mooring down the Mornington Peninsula during the summer and then stored on a farm during the winter- so I don’t need a trailer boat.

I work on ships and I’m basically after the biggest boat I can get but I don’t think I’m prepared to settle for a displacement cruiser! Most people say I can’t go wrong with a Berty and I’d love one but I’m a little concerned about the old sterndrives. The boat will be used for fishing outside Port Philip and hopefully getting into the Barwon River- where draft will be a concern. I don’t want to have to spend more than $50k.

BERTRAM 25
eg. http://www.boatpoint.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=2022180&TabID=3338&Alias=boatpointau
(heaps of these around; I’ve heard the 470 motors are better than the 165)

PROS:
- flybridge offers a great view for cruising and spotting fish.
- 9' beam allows plenty of space for chilling on the back deck.
- four stroke mercruisers are more efficient than two strokes.
- great rough weather boat, the deep v hull just rolls smoothly over big swells.
- good looking classic boat.
CONS:
- twin sterndrive mercruisers are expensive to maintain and replace. The legs will be sitting in the water all the time while the boat is moored…
- the flybridge can act as a sail in strong winds- but i don't plan to be out in these conditions anyway.
- deep v hull might pose a problem getting over the shallow bar into the Barwon River.

SHARKCAT 28
eg. http://www.boatpoint.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=1817057&TabID=3338&Alias=boatpointau

PROS:
- massive back deck separate dunny
- two yammie outboards are easier to repair and repower if it comes to that.
- boat has a shallow draft (i think) and is meant to be great for bar crossings.
- twin hull design makes the boat great in heavy chop- which can often happen in the bay.
CONS:
- boat shudders and gets knocked around in big swells- although there isn't much likely hood of me being out in big swell as you never get them in the bay and the only days i'd go out the heads would be very good days.
- runs on two stroke outboards that CONSUME the gas- not that i'll really be doing any serious passage making.

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks, Kanga. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Blackened
01-10-2006, 06:50 PM
G'day
Personally I'd be doing more of a pro/con list, in regards to usage. Leisure, fishing or tea parties ;). The berty's are great, as are the sharkcats.

Would it be a viable option to rid the cat of twin 2bangers and source some 4bangers for it?

Try and get out on both boats yourself and gte a real feel for them. I know BM is down your way and has a hell of alot of knowledge on those bertys.

Dave

steveg1100
02-10-2006, 07:10 AM
The bertram is a better suited alrounder with the flybridge and cabin setup it can be used for nice family outings and for fishing. But if you wish to use the boat for purely fishing you can't go past the cat.

Kanga
02-10-2006, 08:25 AM
I do like the Bertrams.

What about draft? Do cats generally have smaller drafts?

And is it a heap worse to leave a leg moored for six months than leaving an outboard on the back?

Thanks fellas.

gilbo
02-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Just be very careful with the Bertie and the 470s. If you go through any of my prior posts you will know the troubles I have had with mine. They are a great boat and make for both a good safe fishing boat and a great family day tripper.

Get the engines and legs checked out by if popssible 2 independant people because from experience there are more sharks in this industry than you will ever come across out on the water.

Cant wait to get to a point where i can use mine.

marlinqld
02-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Go the cats, IMHO they are better..... but then it would purely be fishing boat for me

MIke

BaysideMarine
03-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Kanga,

I can't see either of those boats making it through the entrance to the Barwon River.

Last time I stayed down that way I took an 18 footer with a MerCruiser regularly out the entrance and most times we got stuck and we were usually going out mid tide or higher.

I love flybridge Berty's. But I also love cats. But I would probably have a Berty over a cat for the onboard appointments. I've fished a lot on a Berty 25 and its great having a galley, dunny and comfrtable sleeping quarters. If the cat has that too then its a personal preference thing.

Berty's ride very well in rough water as do the cats and the Berty's are quite stable also, except halfway through the tide turn when they rock like mad for 10 minutes.... ;D

Berty will cost less to run as the 470's are quite economical. The cat at high revs will be burning around 80ltrs per hour per engine.

Cheers