PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on what "Big" half cabin to look for?

paz
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
bit of background first. At the very least i am 4.5 hours from any coastal water, but i am only about 45 mins away from one local dam that when full, is 5 times the size of sydney harbour. So its gunna see 99% of the trips to the local dams and 1% of the trips to the coast(say once a year at most to coast)
What im after is a boat that is as big as i can get, but is still trailerable. I have been looking at anything up to about 20 foot or so. Prefer inboard V8 but my mind could be changed to outboard with the right arguement.
Its main use will be for the wife/kids, mates wife/kids to use as a base and for somewhere for them to get out on the water with us instead of staying home or on the bank. Maybe sleep two or three (Half cabin?). Maybe usable to tow a bicky then all the better. im not worried about being tied down cause it is to big for fishing cause we have at least 5 other boats of various descriptions amongst us that we can use(12 footer, 14 footer, 20 foot skeeter with inboard for fishing and skiing being built now!, etc).
I guess what i want to know is what to look for(brand)??? Price range will preferably be cheaper the better, but going on what i have seen so far i guess up to about $10k, maybe up to $20k for the right rig. have been looking at the haines and some of them have been the right size and around the right price, though is there any draw backs(ie-performance, handling etc)?
If anyone knows of something that may interest me for sale let me know,not real worried on condition either, im prepared to do a rebuild if it gets me what i want in the end.

Cheers
Paz

marlinqld
03-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Mate, I have spent the last 2 weeks with my brother in law checking out every boat yard within cooee of REdlands Shire. Not alot around in that price range, though did see a couple of very very nice older mofdel Cruise Craft half cabins, I think around the $17k mark. Both were very well presented, just not what brother in law was looking for.

By the look of your distance from sea - 4.5hours- - and your avatar, do i assume correctly you may be at one of the western mines? what locale, may help to know, then someone local can keep their eye out for you.

Cheers

Mike

paz
03-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Your pretty close mike ;), i'm in central western nsw. Not much around here in what im looking for, though im not in any hurry to buy it so im sure something will come up.

Paz

Grand_Marlin
03-10-2006, 08:55 PM
G'day Paz,

I know where there is a 20ft Caribbean Commodore coming up for sale.
It has a 225 Yamaha 4 stroke on it
it will be mid 20's though

cheers

pete

ozscott
03-10-2006, 10:05 PM
You can get a 70s seafarer Vagabond (20 foot hull) half cab with a good later model (90s) outboard on for under 20 if you bargain - on a good trailer. They dont come up often though. Seakeeping wise they dont come much better - 21 degrees from stem to stern and built like a brick shitter, down to the armour plate screen.

Braddles
04-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Central West?? As in Orange?? thats where I am from!! W'angler and M'war - thats where I learnt to fish / swim / drive boats as a little tacker.

I am not sure of any reputable boat shops around Orange - but maybe doing a search narrowing to geographical area on e bay (Hope I am allowed to mention that site here) by searching city then clicking "within 200klms of my home"

Good luck,

Brad.

Argle
04-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey Braddles, not much water at Wyangala or Mookerewa (muck-ee-war) but top spots when there is some water there hey! As for big half cabs maybe something along the lines of a 1750LE Signature or similar. Used to be a very nice one running around Burrendong years ago that I would admire.

Cheers and beers

jim_farrell
04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
What about a yalta odessa. I've never owned one so know little about them. From memory they had a 20ft that had quite a large cab. Do a search on boatpoint.
Jim

megafish71
04-10-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a Yalta Odessa that I am considering selling, but I'll want alot more than your budgeted amount for it. But mine is only a couple of years old, it may be worth your while to chase some of the older odessa's up, great boats.

Cheers Ron

shane_wright
04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi paz
Its a pity you don't live closer to the Sunshine Coast Ive got a 5.9 meter seafarer Victory that I'm selling soon it is approx 85 model half cabin with a 2005 140 v6 on it that I'm selling for $25.000,its a great offshore boat but my better half wants to put in a pool (cant fish in that!!!)

regards Shane

jimbo59
04-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Don't do that tell her the tyres are flat and no body will buy it now ;D

paz
04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Pete-if only i could talk you down a few or 10k ;)

Ozscott-actually had a look at a seafarer that a guy i know is doing up. Didnt look to bad and i know he paid bugger all for it, though it did require a fair amount of work.

Brad-close again, im in Dubbo but dont hold it against me. Yeh not many shops around here to speak of like you say. And yep, its gunna see 99% of its life once i find something in burrendong.

Argyle- Yeh i have been looking at a few haines around the place, seem to be quiet a few about and some in the price league im looking at.

Jim & Ron-i actually run into a guy i know who has got a yalta that is about a 20 footer this arvo. He's half shares in it and gunna see if the other guys is interested in selling.

Shane-Could u be talked down a few $k too?? ;D

I'