PDA

View Full Version : jounior boat licence. is it worth it

swamped
04-10-2006, 08:03 PM
hello fellow ausfishers,

On monday i had a bit of an experience with the msb.
as im only 13 i have my jounior boat licence and i am only allowed to go 10knots by myself or with someone who dosent have a licence.
I currently own a sea al supaskua with a 15 mercury and it does almost 30 knots.

This is how it all started,

I was getting past a few catermarans at yowie bay (on the port hacking) and in order to do that i had to go fast and be on the plane. so i thought i saw some hooligans on skis ready to swamp me so i had to go fast but what i didnt know is that their were the msb on jetskis. so as i started to notice them i knew i was going to get the bust so i started to slow down and they gave me a hand signal to come over. so i gave them my licence and showed them all my saftey gear and they were happy and i was put on a waring and i was told to go 10 knots, and i did. so here i am nearly vertical with my donk puffing like hell and getting half a tonne of water in my tinnie. It was hell of alot more dangerous than going fast thats for sure.

we need to chance the licence rules a little bit and the msb needs to know that we can be trusted, but sadley most kids are let down buy some other idoit kids who just do stupid things out on the water.

what should i do?

steveg1100
04-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Stick to the rules they have been established for a reason, by people that have a lot more experience than me or you in the water.

swamped
04-10-2006, 08:37 PM
and what, stuff my hull. its already got a pillow bend in it from it not planing correctly. you have got a point about the msb knowing the water the best and i respect that, so i do whats right. but the 10 knot rule just simply can't cut it for me.Its more dangerous goin 10 knots than goin fast

ive also thought about organising a day, where kids around my river who are currently holding their jounior boat licence, can come and show that they can do the right thing by going the speed required in the 8 knot zones, but we can also show the msb that we can control and handel a vessel going at speeds at over 10 knots and mabye just mabye they can cut us all a little bit of slack and make a rule that we can all come to terms with and be all happy about.

cheers

zane

finga64
05-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Zane mate.
Now your talking sense. If you think you and a few other young people can show the MSB boys that you can responsibly and safely control your boats over 10kts then go for it. Ask them why the rules are the way they are.

When I was 13 they didn't have that junior licence if they did I would have been tickled pink. You beauty I can do 10kts without somebody.. Yahoo buckaroo!!!

When I was 13 we could only use oars. Thinking back, we never were nearly swamped and everything on the water was faster then us.

By just ignoring the rules just makes it worse for yourself and all the rest of the younguns' wanting to go a tad faster.

Your point about the boat shooting the stars trying to get on the plane is pretty well garbage. The 10kts is supposed to be displacement speed not planing speeds and your hull is only damaged by been on the verge of planing. Try to throttle back a fraction and go into displacement mode. You may find you can actually go faster by using the boat as a displacement hull instead of shooting for the stars. That also saves fuel and you won't get tonnes of water in the back.
If you think your going to get swamped just put the bow into the wake. That should solve that problem...and get a bilge pump.
What does everybody do when they're going over another boats wake. They slow down to go over the wake, not speed up.

Until you get the rules changed stay to the 10kts. No excuse for speeding on the water or the road
On the road you can't do 120 in a 100 zone just so you can safely pass a car. You have to wait for a passing lane or something like that.
If you want to pass a cat. or slower boat then it doesn't really matter if you can do 10kts and the cat./slower boat is doing 7kts then eventually you'll pass it. There's no lanes marked on the water. :)
Personally I think 30kts for a 13 year old in a tinny is way too fast. I'm 40 something and wouldn't want to do 30kts in my tiny tinny and I've had my boat licence for a L...O...N...G time now.

Enjoy boating with the rules you have now because if enough people complain about all the young hoons on the water the privelege you have now could quite easily be taken off you and you'll be where I was 30 years ago....ROWING.. :-/

Kingo
05-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Well said.