PDA

View Full Version : Ramp Rage

onmyown123
23-09-2006, 08:02 AM
I feel there is no such thing a boat ramp etiquette anymore, I came back from a great days fishing to find boaties doing there own thing at the ramp IE: rigging on the ramp, cleaning their fish ( while the boat is on the trailer on the ramp!!) Crap all over the place, bins full of putrid rubbish. What is going on. why do we pay rego for our boats and trailer I ask. I am sure I am not the only one who gets this. >:( >:( >:( >:(

Poodroo
23-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Well your name says you are on your own but I can assure you that you aren't. >:( I have seen it for myself and there are some very inconsiderate drongo's out there that's for sure.

Poodroo

finga64
23-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Yep, for sure.
It's a shame the few drongo's give the general public an out off balance perception of all boaties.
The drongo's are vastely outnumbered by us ordinary people but the minority make it hard for the majority. :'(
I had some the other day when I came back from fishing and had the tinny tied up on the jetty (about 1m from the waters edge) so I could get the car at Viccy Pt and these blokes backed down the ramp, got the boat ready (10-15mins) and then upped me to move my boat so they could launch.
I just politely told them to see what happens if they try that stuff (especially there) on a week-end [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=hanged.gif] :)
Luckily I wasn't in any hurry so I helped an elderly couple on the next bay/lane put their great old cruiser on their trailer.

Maybe a talk to the local council may help with your concernes onmyown123

onmyown123
23-09-2006, 10:45 AM
I will be in touch with the local council on Monday. Thanks Guys,

Kevvy ;)

darkside
23-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Not trying to defend these morons at the ramp, but a lot of the time it comes down to education on how to use the ramps , when you buy your boat does someone spend time telling you whats expected or how best to make it easy for others , there arn't any signs to explain the proceedures , people are just expected to know ramp etiquette , with more and more boat ownership in Australia we should perhaps incororate these do's and dont's when getting a boat license , .it is common courtesy , like not sitting in the right hand lane of the hwy doing 80 kms hr !!!!!!!!!

hungry6
23-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Probably the worst ramp for this is the Colmslie, I used to launch my jetski/boat there and been an avid waterway user, I'll have my ski/boat launched or retrieve in a few of minuits. But it doesn't matter how fast I do it, there always seem to be an idiot there wanting to make thing hard, A couple of weeks ago some tool launched and then to have his 50 y.o 2 stroke outboard, probably the same model that Moses used. refuses to start, and then, believe it or not, attempt to strip the motor down and fixing it, there on the ramp!!!
I'm supprise by the patience of some boaties at time who are just sitting around waiting for them to move the trailer.
Funny thing is that, they eventually start the old girl up and when they left, it looked like a bushfire on the water, heading out towards the bay.

MattiB
24-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Its not only boaties that do this. I came in one night and found 4 people standing on the ramp fishing. I gave them a coupla seconds thinking that they would wind in so i could come in but they didnt. I just had to motor in over their lines. Was then worried about leaving the boat there while i got the car.

Homer_Jay
24-09-2006, 10:20 AM
I think some of the idiots you see at boatramps must have been out taking a wizz when god was handing out the brains... ;D
And if they missed out on the brains they certainly didnt get any common sense!

butugly
24-09-2006, 10:47 AM
I think some of the idiots you see at boatramps must have been out taking a wizz when god was handing out the brains... ;D
And if they missed out on the brains they certainly didnt get any common sense!

That's the thing isn't it...common sense isn't common. #As I get older, I find myself becoming increasingly less tolerant of selfish idiots....if you think "people" are no damn good then you don't come away disappointed when they do something stupid. #If they prove this wrong then you come away impressed.

Cheers from cranky Baldey 8-)

GAD
24-09-2006, 05:06 PM
I hear these stories of ramp etiquette and ramp rage .and while I have seen a few DH's on the ramp [and the occaisional harsh word has been uttered under my breath]'. Well today I'll post a good story.
Today #I was just about to retreive my boat ,and the wind and currant were just a bit strong , new ramp to me , just stuggling a bit . to cut long story , this bloke came up offered a hand and I was very gratefull. Never seen the bloke before,after loading boat we had a bit of a yak , seems he has just moved up here and was out for a look around .So thanks again mate . And it just goes to show there is still a bit of the old Aussie around , and it made my trip even more enjoyable.
So yeah there is a lot of fools around ,but" I DON'T BELIEVE"{hope} they really don't out number the the good blokes , it's just they stand out more .
So post the good stories as well .

# # # # # # #Greg

Seahorse
24-09-2006, 05:40 PM
just go about ur business. we on here know how to launch and retrieve our boats and the do's and dont's at the ramps.
if u get and idiot tell him where to go.
got no time for them

Homer_Jay
24-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Greg, i agree there are more good blokes out there than the inconsiderate ones. Just the bad ones stand out more. I am a pretty patient person and dont mind if some one is new and takes abit longer. I find the best way is just to go give them a hand and maybe they will learn something new for next time. How often do you see an older guy out by himself or maybe with the wife and they are struggleing abit at the end of the day? I always try and offer a hand because i hope some one does it for me when i get on abit. But you knwo what, that old guy and his wife would probably be the first one to come offer a hand if you need it.
I think we should all be a bit more considerate at the ramp to everyone else and we would all enjoy it abit more.
But i must say that the idiots do make it hard for everyone. The ones that load their boat while backed down the ramp and the stuff like that. These are just people who couldnt care about anyone but themselfs.
In one way i hate to think what it is going to be like at the ramps in another 20 years....

DR
25-09-2006, 10:05 AM
i have been helped several times over the past few years when wind & tide make it hard to retrieve the boat single handed, i will always offer to help if i think someone is having trouble. there is a lot of good boaties out there..
i can get agitated with those that get in line but still don't prepare until on the ramp, i cannot stand the smartarse bunch of tools that because the ramp is empty, they will drive around everyone who is getting ready & then spend time on the ramp doing what everyone else is doing. usually these are the type that will get agro if you point it out. not worth the trouble & they think they are pretty clever to get away with it..
probably the most annoying are those that after launching, they pull the boat up right next to the ramp while they park the car.... they could have a 100 mtrs of beach or pontoon, but no, they have to inconvenience everyone else, again getting annoyed when having it pointed out..

dickheads, can't live with em, can't kill em.....

Dirtysanchez
25-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Well I have had more bad than good experiences - years ago in NSW we did a night fish, around 1am we decided to pull up stumps.. We get to the ramp, and the local rev heads had their cars parked side by side right across the ramp. They challenged us to move, but my mate is in the fire brigade down there, so he called his unit and about 12 burly firey's arrived in the engine and made these clowns move

About 18 months ago I launched at Pinkenba ramp and took my 4 year old lad for a run up the river.. came back and it was blowing a gale. Plenty of people standing around watching me struggle with the boat, taking skin off etc, but no one helped >:(

Any wonder I don't have a boat any more eh ?

BTW, I have helped people at the ramp in the past, and you don't often get even a word of thanks.. One bloke glared at me like I was trying to steal his boat !! :(

mini696
25-09-2006, 11:55 AM
The idiots just stand out more because they are in our way. The good guys and girls get things done so smoothly and quickly that we hardly notice they are there.

Its a similar thing to surfing etiquite (sic) no one knows the rules until they are told them.

I would like to see signs erected at ramps detailing the rules, but I doubt anyone would read them.

Went out yesterday, and was happy to see my boss backing down the ramp hard up against the edge, enabling three boats to launch with ease and smiles.

flatstrap
26-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I've been out of the waterways for nearly 20 months and last weekend, I was giving the Cat its first shakedown cruise after being inactive for all that time. The boat was fine, but I noticed an INCREASE in hoon behaviour from my laast outing.

Hoon A: 30 something dude in a stilletto type ski boat with a huge outboard doing donuts at the ramp while I was trying to line up the cat for a drive on retrieve. Girlfriend at the ramp smiling approvingly to Hoon's actions.

Hoon B; Family of eight in a large runabout overtaking me doing 6knots opposite the Marine Precinct on the Coomera River passing between me and a navigational post with a metre clearance and on the plane!

The numerous jetski jockeys on the wrong side of the channels.

The Cat is nearly seaworthy and will be heading offshore next week for the peace and solitude of the open sea. It's got to be better out there...flatstrap

marlinqld
27-09-2006, 07:16 AM
before i had my current boat, me and a mate used to go to Wello Point ramp some weekends just to watch the fun ;D........by fun i mean to watch the goings on at the ramp................ man did you get some laughs down there watching boats come and go ;) ;D...... actually its not funny.....well it was at the time anyway. ::) :o 8-) :P ;D ;)

Mike

Seahorse
27-09-2006, 06:27 PM
while i was boatless, for about 6 weeks i use to go down to the well and just sit there and watch boats come and go. The time just flew by and it was the best free entertainment one could get. couple hours would just fly by. I suggest it if you want a good laugh and its very comfortable at the well on the boardwalk.

cheers
greg

Grand_Marlin
27-09-2006, 07:02 PM
I often said if you wanted to win Funniest Home Videos ... take your camera to the boat ramp ;D ;D ;D

As for ramp rage ... most times I have come across the idiots, they are told politely once ... then either me or someone else has had a few colourful words to say to them to reinforce our views.

Seems to work ;D

Cheers

Pete

Menion
04-10-2006, 06:08 PM
I would like to add a positive experience. Im new to boating and not very good at launching/retrieving boat. I came back from a long cruise to really rough wind and current at the boat ramp. the ramp was free so i went in. Well then the wind really picked up, aroun 100kph aparently. Waves were coming over the back of the tinny, and i was sure she was going down. This guy came from nowhere to help us out and secure the boat. I dont know what i was going to do. I learned alot that day, thanks to that helpful bloke.

fisha63
06-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Best I've seen was a single lane ramp, 4by4 parked on it and these knobs taking their tinny off the roof wacking the outboard on it and then they started filling it with camping gear etc...when old mate in front of me asked if they could move the boat to the side of the ramp to finish their loading as there were a few boats waiting to get in he was promptly told to F!@$ off and wait his turn....nearly 20 minutes later they finally finished ,glaring at anyone who eyeballed them..........makes you wonder some people......... :-/