PDA

View Full Version : Converting long shaft to extra long shaft

Pegasus_1
05-10-2006, 06:50 PM
I currently have a long shaft 90 hp Mercury Optimax on a Stessl and am considering upgrading the boat to a Barcrusher which requires an extra long shaft.

I have been informed that you can get a 5 inch “spacer kit” that allows you to achieve this from Mercury for around $850 plus fitting. As I know the history of the motor (I brought it new in 2004 and had it serviced every 50 hrs) and with the cost of new motors being cost prohibitive, I was wondering if this is a viable alternative to purchasing a new motor.

All assistance greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Pegasus

Spaniard_King
06-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi Pegasus,

if you can get the kit for $850 + fitting thats not too bad Concidering its going to have a Drive shaft, shift shaft and a Spacer kit with hardware. I am not to familiard with the 90 opti gearbox but there is a bit of R@@tin around to put the drive shaft in. I recon its a viable option if you can get away with it for $1500 all up.

cheers

Garry

Noelm
06-10-2006, 10:53 AM
it is a relatively easy conversion, the gearbox is the same as any old outboard box and if it can be supplied for that price and the cost of install SHOULD not be too bad.