PDA

View Full Version : Life Jackets for Canoes

Dodgy_Back
05-10-2006, 02:36 PM
The last few times that I've fished the Brisbane river ,I've noticed that there is a kayak/canoe mob running tours or courses from Colmslie.

I'v noticed that only a very rare few wear life jackets !

I always thought that when in canoes and yaks you had to wear a PFD.

What are the reg's for them???

Mick

Feral
05-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Not that I am aware of, they are like any water craft, in smooth waters no life jacket required.

The_Walrus
05-10-2006, 05:56 PM
That's correct Feral.

Altough I'd would have taught that commercial operations would require it as a matter of precotion & from the insurance aspect. Can't garantee all customers are good swimmers.

The river there can get quite busy.

Luc

rowdycowdy
05-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I have been pulled up a before about not wearing a life jacket in a canoe.

and it was all about useing the life jacket as a cusion because there is no real (that I know of) rules about life jackets in a canoe

Please endulge me if I am wrong

rowdy

rowdycowdy
06-10-2006, 05:10 PM
On reflection of my last post it may give the impression that I dont care for my own safety. This is not true, I always wear my PFD if I am on my own or the weather conditions are questionable. But on this perfect weather conditions day that I got pulled up in the canoe I was with a mate and the fisheries officer was only concerned with our safety. I think the DPI do a great job and they are a necessary part of protecting our precious water system from inconsiderate fishing offenders.

Just wanted to set the records straight.

rowdy

Getout
07-10-2006, 09:52 AM
As far as I know, there is no legislation governing non-registered watercraft