PDA

View Full Version : second hand boats out of japan

Fiji_fish_head
06-10-2006, 11:40 AM
guys there is a website in japan that sells second hand boats, has anyone bought one in from these guys???,are they any good?? i noticed that there is quite a selection and the pricing isnt that bad!!!! anyone know any thing :-? :-?about this???

boatboy50
06-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey,

All their boats are dirty and not cared for.

Factor in a new engine/s, serious detail, some unexpected repairs and a re-upholstery if you are going down that avenue.

I know about three guys who have done it and all incurred the above costs.

Not so cheap anymore are they?

Regards

Darren

steveg1100
06-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Also I would be concerned about build quality of the hulls. They may be great but who knows. Its a lot of money to dish out without knowing. I think I will stick to brands I know that are tried and tested.

How much money are you going to save in the end.

Duyz72
06-10-2006, 02:44 PM
There are plenty of brokers who sell these boats for the fully shipped price etc and the decent ones which do not require so much done to them are still asking quite a few $$$.

I doubt it would be worth the headaches.

PinHead
06-10-2006, 05:02 PM
I know a bloke who brought in a Bayliner from there..top buy...no worries at all and nothing to spend on it but that is only one instance..don;t know of any others

jimbo59
06-10-2006, 05:16 PM
I helped a mate get a 26 foot yamaha f/b out of japan,it needed a paint job and a couple of impellers for the 470's.
When your in the trade you can to some extent see thru the crap that's out there,it looked to be in pretty good nik for the age and it had alot of new bits around the engine,rare for the jap's to do maintence ,it also had a clean bum(no antifoul).
Boat cost was 100000 yen (about 11.5k)plus freight(15k).
Nice hull, bigger than a berty.

darkside
06-10-2006, 10:46 PM
a friend of mine brings in boats from the US that have been damaged or neglected , he cleans them up, or just sells bits off them and he seems to make squillions out of them , and he reckons they are top class boats the seppos own ! heres an example , follow the link then look at some of the others that have sold, they do look cheap .but then again i always "believe that the poor man pay twice"

http://usauctions.com/ItemDetails.aspx?ID=7196

Stu
06-10-2006, 11:01 PM
With so many world class and top grade boats manufactured by our fellows in this great country of ours why would you bother to purchase someone else's imported trouble (why else are they on the market).
Theres plenty of quality local craft in the land of Oz.

Stu

PS
I'm not connected to the boating industry apart from my second hand and still going very strong Allison.
Go Team Allison. Yay.

PinHead
07-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Stu..hate to tell ya but some of the Aussie boats leave a bit to be desired and you can get a lot more bang for ya buck with imported boats.

BaysideMarine
07-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey,

All their boats are dirty and not cared for.

Factor in a new engine/s, serious detail, some unexpected repairs and a re-upholstery if you are going down that avenue.

I know about three guys who have done it and all incurred the above costs.

Not so cheap anymore are they?

Regards

Darren

Good show Darren! Couldn't have said it better myself. Most of the boats in Japan are just driven into the ground with no regard for care or maintenance.

Unless one could pick them up for an absolute steal they aren't worth the hassle associated with the entire procedure.

Cheers

Grand_Marlin
07-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Some are ok ... but maintenance and cleanliness certainly isnt on the top of their list....

The prices have climbed from what they used to be ... the first people to start importing made a fortune, but now the Japanese are onto our scheme and the prices in Japan have lifted accordingly.

Other downfalls that we have come across with them are:

All Japanese boats are wired for 110v. It is expensive to convert to 240v and replace all appliances.
You can use the 110v appliances, but it is hard to get replacement parts or appliances.
Even the air con units if fitted are 110v.
Gensets are also 110v and if you change over to 240v these need modifying as well.
You can put in a 240 - 110 convertor to hook up shore power in Australia.

Anchor winches are usually crap, and they are a Japanese brand - again hard to fix.

Sounders / GPS / Radars are usually in Japanese - both keypads and on the screen.
You can sometimes change the language in the menu settings .... if you can read it in the first place ;D
Replacement keypads are expensive when available.

AM FM radios dont work in Australia - they have a different band width.

Hull quality is fine ... they are generally american built boats, which are built to the same standard as what goes anywhere else in the world.

Canopies are usually R00 ted.

The market in Australia is flooded with imported boats, and they are finding them hard to sell.
Most people end up spending around 20 - 30 grand to bring them up to scratch after they have bought them.
The prices will not bring the same as as Australian delivered boat ...
You may get close if you change everything over to Australian specs. but hten you have spent the same amount as buying an Australian deliverd one in the first place.

If you were serious about buying one - shout yourself a trip to Japan to look at it first - this is definitely a buyer beware situation.

If it were me - chase down one that has already been imported and make an offer around what it would have cost you to import one ... a lot of people would be happy to cut their losses and just get rid of the boat, as they just cant sell them.
People have woken up to the fact that they are buying a lot of compromises or possible problems, and have in some ways been getting ripped.

The bargain of a lifetime market has gone on imports ... so go into it with your eyes open.

Cheers

Pete

ps - I am available for inspections in Japan if needed ;)