PDA

View Full Version : Berley Bucket mounting

john_laura
05-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi all

I will be mounting a berley bucket to the back of the dory this weekend but i am wondering about the height I should mount it.

Obviously it should be in the water at rest but by how much? The overall height of it will be between 300/400mm, should i have at least 100mm in the water?

Also I take it that it wouldn't be wise to have it in the water when traveling so how did you measure this to make sure that it was above the water when you are on the plane etc.

John

flatstrap
05-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Mount the BB on a sliding bracket. Adjust to suit....flatstrap

steveg1100
06-10-2006, 09:23 AM
You have to mount it on a sliding bracket for it to be functional otherwise you will never get it to work properley. There is no compromise height.

Noelm
06-10-2006, 09:54 AM
make sure the bottom is slightly about bottom of boat,(out of water when underway) and top is above water when stopped,(no burley will float out) hey presto it is done, no sliding brackets ,nothing.

Noelm
06-10-2006, 09:55 AM
wooops SHOULD read bottom is slightly ABOVE bottom of boat

Duyz72
06-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Would be great to see the photo's of a few set ups if anyone is happy to provide!

backhoe
06-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Would be great to see the photo's of a few set ups if anyone is happy to provide!

Mine looks like this (photo from Quintrex website)

john_laura
06-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Good Idea Duyz72.

I have just had the boat in to mark the water line at rest and will be manufactureing the buckets tomoorow morn at work.

Photo's of some set ups would be great.

John

john_laura
06-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks backhoe

Brissyguy
06-10-2006, 10:13 PM
John,

Am having same dilemma only on a larger scale.
Boat is 23.5 Caribbean with main 3' pod in middle and shorter 2' platforms either side.

I have a large burley pot and was thinking of drilling two holes at top and bottom of the pot, inline with each other, then slotting them with an angle grinder.
Am then going to mount 2 x 10mm SS bolts to rear of starboard platform long enough to go through the pot.
Simple SS washers and wing nuts will provide the adjustments.

Will let you know how successful it all is.

Cheers,
Rich

john_laura
06-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Rich

Sound like a good idea.

Maybe as you say mount the 10mm bolts to the transom and slot the burley buck as you described.

Rather then have a wing nut on both bolts maybe if you used two nuts either side of the bucket on the bottom bolt, ( this would keep it located and save haveing to reach all that way down) and have the wing nut only on the top bolt which would then be used to lock it in position.

Bloody great idea!

I am manufactureing mine tomorrow so I will look into what you have suggested and post some photo's of my creation.

The more I think about it the better the idea is.

John

john_laura
07-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey all

Well manufactured the berley bucket this morning at work using riches idea.

I will attach the photo's to show how it is attached and using the wingnut and nyloc nut to allow it to slide up and down.

John

john_laura
07-10-2006, 03:33 PM
side view

john_laura
07-10-2006, 03:34 PM
inside showing wing nut and nyloc nut.

Spaniard_King
07-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Mine is a buiy it off the shelf type ;)

deathstar, dont know if those wing nuts and threaded section will do you any favours when ya chompin with the muncher, need to have minimum protrusion into the B/ bucket or the chomper will chomp them ;D ;D ;D

She looks a bit low too :-[

Garry

Spaniard_King
07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
side view of the removable bracket with pin

Garry

john_laura
08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi all/Garry

Sea trials today for the bucket out of Molloolaba. Worked a treat! ;D

1. When I loosened the wingnut it dropped staright away, no nudgeing.

2. When I drove off and the bucket was still down, (approx five inches below boat), it didn't fall off or rip the arse of the boat. 8-) Was on the plane.

3. When on the plane the bucket was free off the water, all though I might enable it to lift a little further.

4. Muncher munched well all though i will make slight mode to enable more cutting and munching.

Overall I think it has been a successful little project. :)

All feed back appreciated though as it will be under continual research and development.

John