PDA

View Full Version : servicing for tohatsu

Menion
08-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Hi guys's, i was wondering if you could help me out?? I purchased a brand new tohatsu in sydney, got about 10 hours on it then had a motorcycle accident which put me out of action for a couple of months so i couldnt take it in for its first service. Anyway, last month i recovered and took here in to the dealer for a service, the guy said it was really bad for the motor to leave it so long ( it was about 5 months). He serviced it and asked for it back in 1 months time. Ive only managed to put about 6 hours on it. The manual says to get serviced in 50 hours. Is he ripping me off??? Anyone know of a good outboard mechanic in sydney who is not dodgy?? This is my first boat and motor, i really dont know anything about motors at all. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

finga64
08-10-2006, 08:37 AM
sounds a bit sus matey but the professional machanics here will set you straight :)

Rod_Bender
08-10-2006, 09:06 AM
sounds like he's chasing the $$$ to me.

BaysideMarine
08-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Sounds like a tosser to me...

Coontakinta
08-10-2006, 04:46 PM
using a motor is better than having it sitting there for sure but as long as the 10 hour service was done the next shouldnt really need doing until 50 hours. The only thing taht I can see that would change that belief, would be if the motor were sitting in an environment that would speed up any likely problems.

For example your car engine has a scheduled oil change every 5000km, unless u use it infrequently, or in extreem conditions such as dust or cold, then I understand it can be as frequent as 1000km. Unles your tohie is a 4 stroke my bet is wait till you are closer to the 50 hours than u are now.